todd terry

p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
has the strut ever had a todd terry thread? picked this up @ the thrift store near my apt today for a buck... so good...

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    has the strut ever had a todd terry thread? picked this up @ the thrift store near my apt today for a buck... so good...

The flip of this, A Day In The Life, was the big tune back in the day, one of those records you'd hear everywhere. I'm not really up on what he's doing at the moment, but TT has old-school classics for days. If you were DJing house music at any point between '88 and '98 (probably beyond, too), you'd need some Todd in your crates. Todd certainly had plenty of Todd in his crates - he was the first DJ I ever heard spin a set made up entirely of his own shit. If he played a record by anyone else, it'd be his remix of it. For me, he was the pioneer of that whole "house with a hip-hop dynamic" approach that Armand Van Helden and MAW (especially Kenny Dope) ran with later on - straight-from-the-sampler, one-bar loops over banging hard drums. He even donated the name Masters At Work to Louie and Kenny; the first-ever Masters release (also on Fourth Floor iirc) is actually a Todd joint.

A few favourites;

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    p_gunn said:

The flip of this, A Day In The Life, was the big tune back in the day, one of those records you'd hear everywhere

yes, I still love that tune and bump it to this day.
    and it was of course the foundation for his other big production success, Girl I'll House You by the Jungle Brothers.

• Todd Terry also made a short foray into Drum and Bass and this was a pretty big tune when it came out. Nothing really special but a decent try and it was cained by all the dj's when it dropped oor even before on dubplate.

stupid youtube not embedding

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I still remember seeing Todd Terry playing at a packed warehouse party back in the late 80's and when I walked into the actual room Back to the beat was playing and it was just at the part where the the scratching beginnings at about a minute in and when the break drops at about 20-25 seconds later, the place went berserk. I always wondered if Kevin Saunderson liked Todd's use of The Sound.

His early influences were euro dance, disco and hip hop and you can totally hear it in his works. So many classic tracks from the man.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Jspr said:
    I've waited for a Chicago house comeback for the better part of a decade.

Currently ( and steady growing over the last 5 years or so) the sound to be found in many an East London basement.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Jspr said:

after the westcoast sound / psychedelic deephouse got too bland, there was a short era of "nu jack house" that got sorta big worldwide mid noughties, some records were too loopy and gimmicky others stood the test of time

2009-now is when really raw sounds got played on house parties taking the Chicago spirit further into the future

Todd Terry's Bootman alias got some hype records that you can still play out

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Definitely the MPC house music master at work. He has an instantly recognisable style, which he unsuccessfully attempted to deviate from only once or twice.
    I always admired him for sticking with his (devastating) library of drums sounds/ portfolio of beats. Plus he had great arrangements which slayed dance floors. Not much subtlety. Who cares? Simple sine wave bass line, nicely mixed beats, short vocal sample, DONE.
    He also pioneered the house dub (in which you simply ran a tiny sample of the vocal from the track you were supposed to be 'remixing' and put it over one of your beats). Killer.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Also love the TNT Unreleased Project records which load the sampler up with classic disco snips.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This is one of my all time faveorite TT joints. This record really brings back some memories. For any B-More cats on here, this was the shit at Fantasies!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    When I do bass sets, I slow the bonus dub version of this one down to 33 1/3 and it works well...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

For me, he was the pioneer of that whole "house with a hip-hop dynamic" approach that Armand Van Helden and MAW (especially Kenny Dope) ran with later on - straight-from-the-sampler, one-bar loops over banging hard drums.

yup... should also be noted his use of vocal samples and snippets was ahead of its time as well...

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    his hip hop beats were great as well... weird how everyone sees hip hop and house as distinct these days when people like Kenny and Todd were making both in tandem.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    bboyparkz said:
    Jspr said:

Currently ( and steady growing over the last 5 years or so) the sound to be found in many an East London basement.

this.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    his hip hop beats were great as well... weird how everyone sees hip hop and house as distinct these days when people like Kenny and Todd were making both in tandem.

Hey,

Don't forget, Todd Terry was down with hip-hop groups such as:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Really struggling to come up with he did anything post 1991 that was even halfway decent. A man's got to make some cash but he churned out so many terrible remixes that Todd Terry's name on a record became like the black spot. Heard him live once or twice and he rocked.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    He's done a few things. Something Goin' On, Its Over Love, a couple of pretty decent Everything But The Girl remixes, etc. But agree, not anywhere near as strong as his early output. Still shouldn't take away from his status IMO.