Soul Strut 100: #95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    batmon said:
    This is better than Hathaway?

This was my immediate reaction too, but this list is more about Soul Strut-centricty/relevance than a flat out Top 100 records ever.

I'd love to know how many votes these records received.

Sayin

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    This is something I was confused about even when the voting process was going on. I was never really sure whether we were supposed to be voting for the records we rated the highest or those that, I suppose, helped define the board or were part of classic threads etc. I tended to the former though would have voted for stuff like Slingshot based on the latter.

Musically, this isn't an album me but I could see the argument for inclusion of it on the tales of the Strut criteria.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Junior said:
    This is something I was confused about even when the voting process was going on. I was never really sure whether we were supposed to be voting for the records we rated the highest or those that, I suppose, helped define the board or were part of classic threads etc. I tended to the former though would have voted for stuff like Slingshot based on the latter.

Musically, this isn't an album me but I could see the argument for inclusion of it on the tales of the Strut criteria.

People might lose their shit when a certain airborn jew fro appears on this list.

• Funny to hear that this is the P's least favorite record. I absolutely love this joint - copped it after seeing UD and PUTS in toronto when i was like 14 years old - influenced my beatmaking alot after that. The second half of that record kills it.

• I interpreted the list as being records that were strut relevant. In other words, records that were catalysts for 5 and 10 pagers, Selma Hayeks, part of epic mixes, etc.

Batmon/Luscious Fox/Etc. longstanding kneejerk hate for Double and I is well documented on this board.

This is simply a case of

I can't wait until Sayer is revealed as #1 or at least top 10.

4YearGraduate said:
    I interpreted the list as being records that were strut relevant. In other words, records that were catalysts for 5 and 10 pagers, Selma Hayeks, part of epic mixes, etc.

Batmon/Luscious Fox/Etc. longstanding kneejerk hate for Double and I is well documented on this board.

This is simply a case of

Perhaps number 95 should just be "Any Release By People Under the Stairs"?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    I interpreted the list as being records that were strut relevant. In other words, records that were catalysts for 5 and 10 pagers, Selma Hayeks, part of epic mixes, etc.

This is simply a case of

Dude i copped Highlighter and praised that Retro Disco rap video/single.

I guess i misinterpreted the criteria.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    RAJ said:

People might lose their shit when a certain airborn jew fro appears on this list.

No issues here, satisfies both criteria perfectly and a million bargain bins agree.

batmon said:

I guess i misinterpreted the criteria.

It's been a while so not entirely sure I did actually enter a list though I'd like to think I did. As I recall I just did a mix of albums that had an impact on here in my time due to stories/arguments/etc and those that I personally love and want others to appreciate.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If Sayer isn't #1, I'm quitting Teh Strut

good they dissed o-dub (o-dick). he disses everyone else and can't mix for shit. just stick to record reviews buddy. (no musicallity whatsoever)

i heard thes1 is a conceited dick that thinks hes the best.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030117000546/www.soulstrut.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002071.html

LOL. Ah, I love these trips down memory lane.

I can't, however, remember for the life of me doing anything with Dublab back in 2002...so I can't remember which mix is being referred to. I also love the idea that anyone was "eating" off of URB reviews, least of all me.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    All I know is the beat on this joint is beautiful. Found a funny/interesting video of Thes talking about making the song. I really hope to meet the cat when they come through Portland next. One of the greatest Strutters to ever walk the face. So funny, so unpredictable, so real and, most importantly, incredibly generous.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Not to take away what's sure to be a wonderful trip down memory lane, but when was the voting for the SS 100 done? I completely missed it.

Day: It was either late 2010 or early 2011. Surprised you missed it - it was a big deal for weeks; sticky-ed at the top.

day said:
    Not to take away what's sure to be a wonderful trip down memory lane, but when was the voting for the SS 100 done? I completely missed it.

Voting closed May 2011.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    My first PUTS album - great album but since eclipsed by OST, the PUTS masterpiece IMHO.

Abbreviations FTW.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Day: It was either late 2010 or early 2011. Surprised you missed it - it was a big deal for weeks; sticky-ed at the top.

Ahhh ok. I thought it was another "BATMON SAYS 'OFF THE WALL'" thread so I stayed away.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i think ive played this PUTS album more than any of the others. had that thick analog sound and the drums were hittin. well be there and earth travelers still get me open.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    Not exactly sure why, but this record will always remind me of my time spent living in San Francisco...lost weekends, lower haight shenanigans, records, and the last good burrito I've had in a long time.

I remember first seeing the handmade "bidi-pak" of The Next Step at Amoeba--picked it up on the strength. Then, QITFOAA dropped along with the Youth Explosion single--for what it's worth, I really got into the beats--Earth Travellers, We'll Be There, the first track...not to mention the outro/shout-out track (gap/love, a good combination!)

Thes, I remember a couple of other 12" singles that had your production--Dr. Oop's "Deep Impact" and Mission "Home" were the highlights, especially "Home." In fact, that's probably up there as one of my favorite indie 12" songs of the era...lost classic.

Anyway, there's my share. Oh, and this album has a Honeysuckle Breeze sample on it!!!!!!!!1!1!11

kidding. well, actually, not really.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    It's a classic for me. I've played The Cat 100's of times at gigs... More than Donny Hathaway. No dis to Donny. Lyrics sound good to me. But, I don't need pyramids and mathematics to help my life make sense.

• I'm new to soulstrut, but definitely not new to this record - anything Thes touches is pretty much going to be quality. He's probably one of the few beat makers and producers who actually understand audio from an engineering standpoint and that knowledge can be heard in his production. Nothing but respect for him.

tape_hiss said:
    I'm new to soulstrut, but definitely not new to this record - anything Thes touches is pretty much going to be quality. He's probably one of the few beat makers and producers who actually understand audio from an engineering standpoint and that knowledge can be heard in his production. Nothing but respect for him.

WELCOME!

• Dolo76Dolo76 64 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    It's all about this song right here:

Word, that was a personal favorite instrumental to cut over

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

Hey TheKindCromang,

That is a fantastic track!!! I've been playing it over and over again. Man, the production is intoxicating and the vibe spit over it fits perfectly. Thanks for posting it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    TheKindCromang said:

Hey TheKindCromang,

That is a fantastic track!!! I've been playing it over and over again. Man, the production is intoxicating and the vibe spit over it fits perfectly. Thanks for posting it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

such a great beat. and the og has that honeysuckle grail vibe to it for added digging pleasure

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    i'll always like 'Earth Travelers' and 'We'll Be There'
    Very good record.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    This is a really good record.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Blowin' Wax" still bangs. Very syncopated.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    great, great album. think i've had 4 copies in my time, to replace stolen or played-to-death ones. always a sign of high praise indeed

• I think this is the only P album I don't own on wax (other than Or Stay Tuned and American Men but I'm not sure those 2 are even classed as LPs). I remember seeing it (QITFOAA) on the shelves in my local when it came out and have always kicked myself for not having bought it!

I know it's been reissued now but it's just not the same...

Huge fan of the P and this record is ill. Hope to see OST in the list somewhere...