NJ/NY/PA Strutters: Spin Party, Saturday March 10th @ 8PM

2»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Any female companions RSVP? My wife is worried this is going to be a record nerd fest.

Hi Raj,

Yes, a number of female companions have RSVP-ed. Plus, my wife will be here so it won't be strictly a 'record nerd fest.' Your wife will be fine and have a great time. Thanks again for agreeing to attend and throw down on the decks!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I'm playing a latin soul set, getting it together tonight. If anyone in NY can give me a ride in exchange for gas and beer money holler! I don't really want to have to take the train!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    nice!!!! ima be across the board, mostly recent favorite flaves. waxidermists be warned, there will be a break or two or three mixed in

im hoping funky16 drops a plethora of nola 45 atomic bombs

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Stickam this bitch! user name soul_strut I want to watch and listen from my comfy leather couch.

*sorry $3.49 cent dolla wine buzz

• Yo! Big Stacks - thank you and the wifey for ya'll hospitality! You guys are great people to let us all jam out at your spot. Plus you have a beautiful home w/ a great sound system!

Everyone - it great meeting you all, glad to make the aquaintance! Both me and the lady had a great time. Lookin forward to the next one!

I'd be more than willing to offer up my own home but i dont know if everyone would wanna travel through my neighborhood but i'll still throw the option out there.

Otis - i'll def come through to your show on Friday man! Lookin' forward to that too!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Still crazy hungover???. Sooo much fun.

Pics to come!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    Yo! Big Stacks - thank you and the wifey for ya'll hospitality! You guys are great people to let us all jam out at your spot. Plus you have a beautiful home w/ a great sound system!

Everyone - it great meeting you all, glad to make the aquaintance! Both me and the lady had a great time. Lookin forward to the next one!

I'd be more than willing to offer up my own home but i dont know if everyone would wanna travel through my neighborhood but i'll still throw the option out there.

Otis - i'll def come through to your show on Friday man! Lookin' forward to that too!

Hey Chris,

I thank you for your kind words. It was nice having you, your lady, and everyone over to jam and hang out last night. I was glad to finally meet Raj Mahal, Otis Funkmeyer, their spouses, TripleDouble, Winston, and reacquaint with Garcia Vega, you, and your lady. Wifey enjoyed meeting and hanging with everyone as well. It was a great time had by all, great music, food, drink, interesting conversation, and oh my, incredible music played by the 'Strut spin meisters!!! Definitely, we have to do it again!!! I just wish this headache would go away. ;-) I'll post up pictures later as well along with a mix of my set from last night.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Gotta say that Big Stacks is a genuinely nice person. Not everyone would do this. I wasn't even there, but you always speak with such a sincere niceness on this board that you seem like a good dude.

the staxes are great hosts! real good time with great tunes and good people. i definitely got put up on some new records to hunt down. i caught one of those hangover things too. blessed be the honey mead.
    it was fun trying to place where i had met Ms.Raj and she explained "we hung out in a basement of a record store years ago". haha.

thanks again stacks.

Hey TripleDouble,

I appreciate the kinds words, and it was an honor to finally meet you. And, oh yeah, I need that sick mid-tempo break you played last night in my life. To Controller_7, that was so nice of you to say. I must say, all of the Strutters I have had the pleasure of meeting are some top-shelf folks. To the 'Strutter massive, here is my first wave of pics from last night's festivities:

Raj on the decks

Garcia Vega throwin' down

Garcia Vega raer

The party massive (L-R: Nina (Ms. Smoking Robot), Renee (Mrs. Funkmeyer), Emily (Mrs. Raj), Garcia Vega and his holmeslizzle Winston, and Smoking Robot)

The party massive, take 2 (with wifey in the back corner lookin' faded)

Grub and dranks

Otis Funkmeyer bringin' the heat

Funkmeyer raer

TripleDouble makin' the decks smoke

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Thanks so much for hosting this event Stacks and Mrs. Stacks! ??I've been hurting all day which is a testament to the great time I had. ??
    Everyone brought their own style to the tables and it was a real pleasure to hang with old friends and new. ??Can't wait for the next one! ??I will definitely host one in the not-too-distant future.??

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Thanks so much for hosting this event Stacks and Mrs. Stacks! ??I've been hurting all day which is a testament to the great time I had. ??
    Everyone brought their own style to the tables and it was a real pleasure to hang with old friends and new. ??Can't wait for the next one! ??I will definitely host one in the not-too-distant future.??

Hey Otis Funkmeyer,

You're welcome, and I thank you and wifey for attending. Also, thanks for throwing down on the decks so righteously. Man, the heat coming through the Bostons was amazing!!! I too enjoyed the variety of styles played by spin meisters extraordinaires. I'm eagerly anticipating the next throwdown, and you can count wifey and I in for the one you plan to host. By the way, I've had an 'all day' headache myself. :beerbang:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Stacks, thanks again so much for hosting, I had a great time. Otis the ride home was super clutch, so appreciated! It was good to see everybody and hear some killer records. If there's one thing that can be said about soulstrut is that dudes are deep with their records! All you tri-state people who didn't come out, you missed out big time. Here's the tracklist of stuff I played:

The Bennito Sextet Plus One "My Sherry"
    Joe Quijano "Fun City Shingaling"
    Joey Pastrana "Afro Azul"
    Louie Ramirez "Ungawa"
    Bobby Valentin "Bad Breath"
    The Latin Souls "You've Been Talking About Me Baby"
    Monguito Santamaria "I've Got to Find"
    Lebron Brothers "I Believe"
    New Swing Sextet "You Got a Hold of My Heart"
    Roberto Roena "Shades of Time"
    The TNT Band "The Meditation"
    Roberto Roena "Spinning Wheel"
    Ronnie Marks "Some Lonely Heart"

Garcia_Vega said:
    Stacks, thanks again so much for hosting, I had a great time. Otis the ride home was super clutch, so appreciated! It was good to see everybody and hear some killer records. If there's one thing that can be said about soulstrut is that dudes are deep with their records! All you tri-state people who didn't come out, you missed out big time. Here's the tracklist of stuff I played:

The Bennito Sextet Plus One "My Sherry"
    Joe Quijano "Fun City Shingaling"
    Joey Pastrana "Afro Azul"
    Louie Ramirez "Ungawa"
    Bobby Valentin "Bad Breath"
    The Latin Souls "You've Been Talking About Me Baby"
    Monguito Santamaria "I've Got to Find"
    Lebron Brothers "I Believe"
    New Swing Sextet "You Got a Hold of My Heart"
    Roberto Roena "Shades of Time"
    The TNT Band "The Meditation"
    Roberto Roena "Spinning Wheel"
    Ronnie Marks "Some Lonely Heart"

Hey Garcia Vega,

You're welcome, mane, and it was nice that you and the homie Winston joined us. Wifey and I truly enjoyed your set, the great camaraderie, food, drinks, and incredible music. It's funny how when you meet with 'Strutters, whether you know them or not, it's like hanging out with old friends. Let's keep the fire blazin' and do another party in the near future.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

some of the tracks i played in no particular order:
    mckendree spring- give all you got to give
    samson and delilah - keep me in mind
    westwing- im gonna love you just a little bit more
    moloch-outta hand
    joe nesmith- armed
    frekoba africans- on freedom
    sims sisters- keep trusting in the lord
    simon sound- drums away
    jules blattner group- my babe
    travel agency- lonely seabird
    john mayall- keep our country green
    jo stance- shout
    nairobi sisters- promised land
    fred williams,capt boo and the funky space cadets- youre so fine
    couple other random breaks
    and a thai 45 and LP that i cant translate (based on the cover photos, i call them 'thai player' and 'chuck norris')

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    My Incriminating Photos

IMG_4253.jpg

Garcia Vega, Winston (hidden), Smoking Robot, Tripledouble politic at the food station

IMG_4258.jpg

Big Stacks chopping it up. His set streaming here

IMG_4264.jpg

Garcia Vega drops salsa bombs to a roaring crowd (no that is NOT Batmon on the far right).

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

Garcia Vega flosses The Bennito Sextet (Plus One)

IMG_4269.jpg

Otis Funkmeyer drools over an unnamed funk 45

IMG_4270.jpg

Big Stacks in front of the BIG Stacks

IMG_4272.jpg

Tripledouble and Otis Funkmeyer conversate

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

Funkmeyer prepping the next raer.

IMG_4281.jpg

Smoking Robot and Garcia Vega chuckling over something?

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

Tripledouble closed out the night with plenty of AEIOU style breaks and beats??? The THC was kicking at this point

haha those pictures are great man!

Stare into the wild eyes of musical madness!!!
    RAJ said:
    My Incriminating Photos

IMG_4262.jpg

Hey Raj,

Yeah, those are great shots!!! I'm surprised you could hold the camera steady considering... ;-) I can't talk after having a headache all day yesterday.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• This was my set of 45s:

Soul Struttin' - Ohio Express
    I Feel Like This - Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
    Shake That Thing - Winfield Parker
    Don't Know What To Do - Darrell Banks (ever-soul reish)
    Peace Of Mind - SOUL
    Funky Streaker - Backlash
    **Power Lord** - Victory Travelers
    Soul Flow - Paul Kelly
    Funky With My Stuff - The Natural Resources Unpolluted
    Not By Bread Alone - Kim Tamango
    No Brag Just Fact - The Hesitations
    Oooh, Baby - Pamoja
    Rockin' Chair - Brothers of the Ghetto
    You Make Everything Better - Curtis, the Brothers
    Hung Up - The Violators
    I Know I've Been Changed - Victory Travelers
    Can You Fine Me Love - Harrison and the Majestic Kind
    Shing-a-ling U.S.A. - Lee Williams and the Cymbals
    It's Finger Lickin' Good - Richard "Dimples" Fields
    Hip Drop - Black Nasty
    Soul Party part 2 - Bobby Williams??
    Don't Chain My Soul - Carlton Basco
    Breaking Point - Johnny Williams
    This Maybe the Last time - Etoy Bogart and Bogart Bros
    Funky Strut - The Fabulous Soul Eruption
    Tear It Up part 1 - Billy Wade and the 3rd Degrees
    A World Without You - Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr??

Then we did "ones" for a bit and I played these:
    Youth Groove - The Stance Brothers
    And finally this one, whose label summed up the night:

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:

Raj lines up in the Puccini

:the_mack:

Hey,

Since I've received a number of requests, I'll follow suit with the other spin party taste meisters and post the playlist for my set:

1. "Ooh Baby"-Rasputin Stash.
    2. "Zimba Ku"-Black Heat.
    3. "Honey from the Bee"-Willie and the Bumblebees.
    4. "It Ain't Right"-Carl 'Sherlock' Holmes.
    5. "Church"-The Politicians featuring McKinley Jackson.
    6. "Port Authority Bus Blues"-Port Authority.
    7. "New York, New York"-Starship Orchestra.
    8. "You Know I Love You"-Breakwater.
    9. "Every Man's Your Brother"-The Fourth Way.
    10. "You Owe it to Yourself (Part I)"-J.J. Barnes.
    11. "True Blue"-Circle O' Fire.
    12. "Take Me to the Bridge"-Crackin'.
    13. "I Can See through You"-Little Beaver.
    14. "Footsteps across Your Mind"-Shock.*
    15. "Cop and Blow World"-L.T.G. Exchange.
    16. "Body to Body Boogie"-ORS.
    17. "Backed up Against the Wall"-The 3 Pieces.
    18. "Simply Beautiful"-Silk.
    19. "98.6"-98.6.*
    20. "Funk to the Folks"-The Soul Searchers.
    21. "I Don't Understand It"-Ice Water Slim & the 4th Floor.*
    22. "Earthquake"-Rulie Garcia.*

The tracks with asterisks are 45s, while the rest were played from LPs. Also, only one track ("Zimba Ku", slowed down -2) was ptiched away from its original tempo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Since I've received a number of requests, I'll follow suit with the other spin party taste meisters and post the playlist for my set:

1. ???Ooh Baby???-Rasputin Stash.
    2. ???Zimba Ku???-Black Heat.
    3. ???Honey from the Bee???-Willie and the Bumblebees.
    4. ???It Ain???t Right???-Carl ???Sherlock??? Holmes.
    5. ???Church???-The Politicians featuring McKinley Jackson.
    6. ???Port Authority Bus Blues???-Port Authority.
    7. ???New York, New York???-Starship Orchestra.
    8. ???You Know I Love You???-Breakwater.
    9. ???Every Man???s Your Brother???-The Fourth Way.
    10. ???You Owe it to Yourself (Part I)???-J.J. Barnes.
    11. ???True Blue???-Circle O??? Fire.
    12. ???Take Me to the Bridge???-Crackin???.
    13. ???I Can See through You???-Little Beaver.
    14. ???Footsteps across Your Mind???-Shock.*
    15. ???Cop and Blow World???-L.T.G. Exchange.
    16. ???Body to Body Boogie???-ORS.
    17. ???Backed up Against the Wall???-The 3 Pieces.
    18. ???Simply Beautiful???-Silk.
    19. ???98.6???-98.6.*
    20. ???Funk to the Folks???-The Soul Searchers.
    21. ???I Don???t Understand It???-Ice Water Slim.*
    22. ???Earthquake???-Rulie Garcia.*

The tracks with asterisks are 45s, while the rest were played from LPs. Also, only one track ("Zimba Ku", slowed down -2) was ptiched away from its original tempo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

OMG. I listened to it when rAJ posted, blown away. Never thought of that Soul Searchers track until now, so many gems on that
    record. You need to come to Louisville for a set

My little set at the Flea Off of Market with other strutters playing before and after(BassFever; Cookbook) !
    Sorry no raers, like the east coast is sweatin', Louisville is still getting new to these, white folk that is.

Maze - You
    Leroy Hutson - Don't Let It Get Next To You
    Donny Hathaway - The Ghetto
    The Controllers - Somebody's Gotta Win
    Rocky SDTK - Reflections
    Trouble Man SDTK - 'T' plays it cool
    Marvin Gaye - I Want You
    Latimore - Let's Straighten It Out
    Gene Chandler - Get Down
    Starpoint - Its All Yours
    Chemise - She Can't Love You
    Gwen Guthrie - Should Have Been You
    Skyy - Love Plane
    Stevie Wonder - Love Light In Flight
    Carmen - Time To Move
    Donna Summer - Hot Stuff

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Wish i could have came through...Stacks, do you plan on doing this next year?

Hey Burns,

I appreciate your kind words, man, and yes, it would've been great to have you join us. If I'm ever out in Louisville, I'll definitely holla at you. That's a nice set you posted, as good music, simply put, is good music. To Mike Bell, hey, who has to wait until next year? Wifey and I have discussed doing such parties on a semi-regular basis. I don't have any record buddies locally, so it's nice to get folks together who similarly appreciate music. Let's see what happens, my man. Raj, when are you gonna post your set, homie? It was blazin'!!! Wifey and I had a blast hand-dancin' to "Tripping Out."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Sounds good...I'm willing to make the 7 hour drive to Jersey.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Stacks, bless you for organizing this event. But, please, straighten up your record shelf!!! The way some of the stacks are leaning is very compromising... too much undue pressure.

white_tea said:
    Stacks, bless you for organizing this event. But, please, straighten up your record shelf!!! The way some of the stacks are leaning is very compromising... too much undue pressure.

Hey White Tea,

I see your point, man. Ive just been digging through them and I haven't straightened them back up. I'll get on it! Thanks for reaching out, and I hope you can make it out to Dirty Jerz sometime to hang out.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak