KONY 2012

williedynamitewilliedynamite 263 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
I'm curious what people here have to say about Invisible Children's "KONY 2012" campaign. For those who haven't caught it elsewhere, here's the film:

Personally, this sort of shit gets my blood boiling. Kony is clearly a despicable human being and should have been stopped long ago -- but this is less about Kony and more an unabashed attempt to harness the good intentions of the ignorant masses for personal gain. It seems to me that the real beneficiary of the campaign is Invisible Children. But maybe I'm just being cynical...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    H.E.R.M.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    fer chrissake not the strut too - this video has pretty much been debunked.
    WD you're correct: The charity is shady and the facts are screwed up.
    Posting this shit is one step up from those mindless misspelled inspirational quotes people post.
    Look at me im so PC by posting this. Right on. Now im off to mickey d's in my suv with my new ipad.
    Get a grip people.
    Dont let these OMG emoticon virals waste your time - youre not doing anyone any favors.

http://johnpilger.com/articles/the-son-of-africa-claims-a-continents-crown-jewels

http://rt.com/news/koni-viral-video-campaign-133/

http://justiceinconflict.org/2012/03/07/taking-kony-2012-down-a-notch/

• I dont know about you guys, but I dont like this Joseph Kony character one bit.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    As long as there is one more person on this planet that knows where Uganda is, that campaign is a good thing. I had the pleasure of djing there 2 years ago and if you really want to support a thing that DIRECTLY helps children in the war zones, then support the BREAKDANCE PROJECT UGANDA. Anything else is just reeeally difficult. NGO's in that area plus the local Governments have to be seen very critical. I am still in contact with Abramz, the founder of the BPU, there is a movie coming out about him. He is as down to earth and as humble as you can be on this planet. PM me if you need more info.

BOUNCING CATS film trailer from nabil elderkin on Vimeo.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Hey look at me. I'm gonna write blogs and articles on these dudes raising awareness rather than on Kony himself.

I don't have a great idea about the cause. But the fact is, Kony is one of the most wanted men in the world who has done unspeakable things. This has brought more awareness to who this guy is than almost any thing for the last 20+ years.

Ask the west for what they knew about Uganda and you might have got Kamala the wrestler.

Stop being so salty because you're seeing this stuff everywhere. Unless you have something more positive to offer.

• DOR said:

I don't have a great idea about the cause. But the fact is, Kony is one of the most wanted men in the world who has done unspeakable things. This has brought more awareness to who this guy is than almost any thing for the last 20+ years.

But what happens then ? This video is corny and grossly oversimplifies very complex matters.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

Its NOT a good thing - its feeding ignorance, oversimplifying and fucking hypocritical.
    Whats worse, people look at this and come away feeling they've accomplished something, by looking at or sharing some self serving CRAP.
    Exploiting the plight of the victims for a fucking viral campaign - that's a problem.

The guy isn't even in Uganda anymore, for fucks sake.

But I guess sharing some bs on facebook is easier than actually trying to understand the real issues. Don't let that rain on your parade.

http://mynorthwest.com/75/641676/Uganda-expert-warns-massive-popularity-of-campaign-to-capture-Joseph-Kony-not-all-it-seems

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Over the last few days, the overwhelming majority of what I've read about KONY 2012 offers sober and constructive analysis of the flaws in this approach - comparatively little of the discourse defaults to "white man's burden"/saviour-complex cliches, so it's not just a case of too-cool-for-school types sneering at People Who Are Doing Something.

While there's certainly an argument for things like KONY 2012 being worthwhile in that it puts the issue in front of millions in a way that a more detailed, nuanced approach wouldn't have a hope of doing - and there's absolutely no question it's done that - it's nonetheless guilty of a vast over-simplification by (amongst many things) painting an inaccurate picture of what's actually going on in Uganda right now, and reducing an incredibly complex issue to a matter of simply getting the bad guy. I don't think there's anything wrong in pointing that out, nor in suggesting that people take the trouble to find out a bit more about the situation for themselves rather than cough up thirty clams for a wristband that allows them to create the impression that they've Done Something without a thought as to whether or not that something is going to have any real or lasting value.

DocMcCoy said:
    Over the last few days, the overwhelming majority of what I've read about KONY 2012 offers sober and constructive analysis of the flaws in this approach - comparatively little of the discourse defaults to "white man's burden"/saviour-complex cliches, so it's not just a case of too-cool-for-school types sneering at People Who Are Doing Something.

While there's certainly an argument for things like KONY 2012 being worthwhile in that it puts the issue in front of millions in a way that a more detailed, nuanced approach wouldn't have a hope of doing - and there's absolutely no question it's done that - it's nonetheless guilty of a vast over-simplification by (amongst many things) painting an inaccurate picture of what's actually going on in Uganda right now, and reducing an incredibly complex issue to a matter of simply getting the bad guy. I don't think there's anything wrong in pointing that out, nor in suggesting that people take the trouble to find out a bit more about the situation for themselves rather than cough up thirty clams for a wristband that allows them to create the impression that they've Done Something without a thought as to whether or not that something is going to have any real value.

I understand that, and I somewhat agree. But I'm of the opinion of OK great... You fucking took the organization to task. What the fuck are you (Not directed to anyone in particular) going to do. Sit on the sidelines and criticize a major portion of people who do give a fuck and truly want to be positive and do something. Shit talk people who do care and try and bring awareness? Call them hipster white saviors who don't really care about black kids in Africa?

And what the fuck does where he is now have to do with the shit he's done in the past? Like if Hitler had moved to a different country and gone under the radar for a couple of years everyone should stop giving a fuck?

I believe that the overall message and awareness is the most important thing. Unless you can give me something bigger, I think it's somewhat negative to offer nothing more than criticism.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

First question, are these guys strutters?

Second question, they believe in giving the money to the Sudan Army or the Ugandan Army to catch/kill Kony because they believe that they are best equipped to take him out. Do they know what these two armies are responsible for, nearly the same level of atrocities that Kony has committed. It's all fucked all around.

Third question, anyone read A Long Way Gone? http://www.alongwaygone.com/ It is the book that introduced me to this whole mess.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you're not with Invisible Children and posting about it interminably on teh internets you're basic enabling Kony to abduct another child.

This guy must be stopped.

I personally wont rest until the next thing comes along to get all worked up about.

staxwax said:

But I guess sharing some bs on facebook is easier than actually trying to understand the real issues. Don't let that rain on your parade.

That's 2 clicks of the mouse of giving a shit more than some have ever given a fuck about one of the worst human beings on the planet.

But yeah, you're right. Everyone should stop talking about it. Sorry your fb gets clogged up with such bullshit. I guess you have much more important matters on your feed...

Okem said:
    If you're not with Invisible Children and posting about it interminably on teh internets you're basic enabling Kony to abduct another child.

I personally wont rest until the next thing comes along to get all worked up about.

I honestly don't get this meme. But then again...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DOR the whole thing has been completely miss sold to you. Read this post about it all, by the author of this very interesting, even amusing, book on Kony http://www.janebussmann.com/the-worst-date-ever/

If the Ugandan army actually wanted to catch and kill Kony they would've by now, but then they'd loose all the funding given to them to aid his capture.

American foreign policy and the way companies like Apple and Sony operate in Africa have caused more problems than any warlord ever could.
    But what the hell! We're AWARE of Kony! WHOOPTIE DOO! share share share

Way to make the world a more vapid place.

Just another tool allowing the fat fucks of the western world to continue sucking down their soda pop and fiddle on their mobile devices, sharing inspirational videos. Lets donate money that will disappear into the Ugandan system, make some viral video makers rich, and think we've made a change while we continue to crush the life out of the rest of the world with our lifestyle. Because Steve Jobs is so totally awesome and so is facebook.

just look at these dicks

Invisible Children has blurred the line between charity and politics, advocating direct military action. They have also been accused of providing financial support to the Ugandan government???s military and the Sudan People???s Liberation Army, both of which have regularly been charged with human rights abuses.

The group denies the claim, saying ???none of the money donated through Invisible Children ever goes to the government of Uganda. Yet the only feasible and proper way to stop Kony and protect the civilians he targets is to coordinate efforts with regional governments.???

The group has also been accused of being heavy on advocacy and weak on aid. Writing on the social media site tumblr.com, sociology and political science student Grant Oyston said, ???As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32 per cent went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.???

Disgusting

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    No one will care in a month.

So i know who he is, AND?

So Kony wasn't responsible for the death of little Jacob's brother? And no International Criminal Court has them in their top 10?

The thing is. I have zero problem with anyone criticizing. But just bring something else to the table. Give positive alternatives for people who do care to look to. And shit talk the organization all you want. But why bash people who want to truly help?

In all honesty. Do you guys really wish nobody was talking about this stuff?

In all honesty - this is a brainwashing tool which stops people from really looking at their own governments and consumption patterns.
    It makes them feel good about their politics while lulling everybody to sleep.
    Like Batmon says, there will be some new inspirational bullshit distraction craze served up next week/month.
    Which everyone will share.
    Meanwhile, Rick Santorum is a candidate for the US presidency.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Okem said:
    DOR the whole thing has been completely miss sold to you. Read this post about it all, by the author of this very interesting, even amusing, book on Kony http://www.janebussmann.com/the-worst-date-ever/

If the Ugandan army actually wanted to catch and kill Kony they would've by now, but then they'd loose all the funding given to them to aid his capture.

Well, file that under "Things I Never Thought I'd See on Soul Strut".

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    My wife donated monthly to them a few years ago, but she became suspect when they would hound her every month to increase her monthly contribution. She then mentioned she had never heard from the charity in regards what they have done with the money. She mentioned she hadn't seen anything that the charity has done outside of make things to sell. The people at the charity said they had built a library. My wife asked when and they said 3 years ago. My wife then stopped donating to them. She did say however she loves the t-shirt because it is the softest t-shirt she has ever had. So they have that going for them.

• Okem said:

ha! love that this picture has been popping up around different places and drawing unironic comments.

critical faculties at an all-time low.

• also, why exactly are western governments giving any money to a regime that supports this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16928608

• neil_something said:
    also, why exactly are western governments giving any money to a regime that supports this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16928608

WORD!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    staxwax said:
    American foreign policy and the way companies like Apple and Sony operate in Africa have caused more problems than any warlord ever could.
    There's awareness-raising campaigns and movies for these issues, too. Grand Theft Congo, Congo's Curse, The Real Mobile Phone Wars, King Leopold's Ghost--to name a few.

There's plenty of money and genuine concern to go around.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Seriously, Dor, if you question what else or bigger can be done, there is stuff like I posted, projects, that directly help. I am not purely criticising this campaign, but if you look deeper, there is something that can be done without postering all city shepard fairey style. And as said, Kony is not even in Uganda anymore. Maybe one should speak with the people in Uganda first and foremost. Their own thoughts say alot, here are two from people I know in Uganda:

Kony 2012: This is a very good initiative that is a few years too late! The real weapons of mass destruction in Sub Saharan Africa are Malaria & interest rates which then turn into poverty, deaths etc. These are unfortunately solvable!

or

It shouldn't be them [US, the world] caring in the first place. It should be us caring before they can come in to complement "if" they choose to. [] my problem is with the hypocrisy ugandans are showin on this topic, on the one hand they're shouting why are they comin here and on the other hand they are saying they should have come there. Closing one begging hand and opening another, not a good sign. We have an army, we have docs, we have hospitals and labs. These are issues that should be handled by us but we havent. What if we we got the Japan tsunami?

All that said, I agree that this is good that some people now at least know where Uganda is. Or maybe not?

"WHERE IS UGANDA?"

• I know very little about this org, but it seems like it does a mixture of advocacy and charity. Faulting it for that, and not spending more money on the ground is pretty short sighted. Some NGOs focus on service delivery, some focus on advocacy, some, like this one, do both. So what? Where an organization spends its money says nothing about how good it is at what it does, be it advocacy or direct assistance. I'm not saying this organization is any good at what it does (I have no idea), but advocacy in many cases is just as worthwhile as more concrete "programs" on the ground. Critiquing Invisible Children for that is pretty flimsy.

Also, suggesting you shouldn't give to an organization or charity because there are more important causes to give to, is pretty short sighted too. Charity is not a zero sum game. Giving to this organization, for example (I'm not suggesting you should), doesn't mean malaria research will suffer, a whale won't be saved, etc.

A good organization will advocate well, get some effective endorsements and be persuasive in selling their cause, which clearly, as the response to this video demonstrates, this organization did pretty well. Probably far better than it was prepared for. Obviously, it is responsible for the accuracy of the content it presents. And maybe it is having a Wyclef moment and is not equipped to handle the huge influx of funds. But it has a pretty niche cause, and it does sound like it is helping people (the conflict in Northern Uganda real) -- obviously there are organizations that are doing things on a grander scale that help more people, perhaps even in Northern Uganda, but faulting this one for what it is doing is pretty silly. There are probably more efficient ways for it to achieve its goals, but the same can be said of any organization in the world.

Anyway, I am kind of just rambling about this based on what I have read in this thread and on the internet this week about KONY 2012 -- just my 2 cents.

Also, check out the movie War Dance -- a great great documentary about a school in Northern Uganda competing in a country wide dance competition
    http://www.wardancethemovie.com/

• I saw this thread and read "Kon 1200", then reread and got disappointed.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    this thread should have been deaded immediately. the kind of thread that everyone was complaining about last week...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Why the fuck is he interviewing his own idiot son? I resent the whole trend in some modern documentary film making where the film maker has to constantly enter the picture but parading around their kids, get he fuck out of here! I turned off after 10 or so minutes, the whole thing totally smells fishy.