Record buying habits in 2012.

bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Wondering how much vinyl you guys are buying this year compared to say ten years ago.
Referring to both new releases and second hand digs.

New releases: buying more than ever, mainly 12"s that fall into the disco/balearic catagoury. Hope to slow down a little in 2012.

Old stuff: probably buying the same amount as I was 10 years ago, but instead of drumbreaks/ samples/crate digging classics I'm buying disco and 80s pop 12"s.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I think this is a similar topic to the 'Why Do You Collect Records?' thread.

I definitely buy more new releases compared to ten years ago, but the quality of different genres comes and goes in cycles.
    In 2009 I think I was buying about 10 singles a month, and could've always kopped more. That's slowed down as has the quality of releases from the scene (seen bruv, ennit).
    In 2002, DnB was dead to me, Hip-Hop was pop, and decent new material was thin on the ground so I was mainly buying old records.

I guess if the bass music thing goes completely over to cold, industrial techno (where is the money Lebowski - we are nihilists), my buying habits will change back towards predominantly digging for old stuff. But something new might come along.

As for older music, the re-ish market is strong, so there's even less need to step into a boutique or scour ebay for teh raer.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I don't buy nearly as many records as I did 10 years ago because I don't buy rap records anymore (do rap records even get made anymore, or is it strictly digital at this point?). In 2002, I had a weekly gig and no Serato, so I was buying rap records weekly. Nowadays...no weekly, do have Serato, so all those rap record purchases are gone.

But I still buy plenty of older stuff. At least the same amount as I did 10 years ago, if not more, but also in a more targeted fashion. For one thing, I know a lot more than I did 10 years ago, so that helps cut down on chud purchases.

• DJ_Enki said:
    in a more targeted fashion. For one thing, I know a lot more than I did 10 years ago, so that helps cut down on chud purchases.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Pretty much done buying the records that have some two bar loop. Also trained myself to stay away from easy listening with hints of dopeness (every now and then, still have a soft spot for that stuff). Try to narrow it down to just the ones I know I can get use out of (either sit down and listen to from beginning to end, or play out/share with others).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I buy a lot less for these two reasons

DJ_Enki said:
    I was buying rap records weekly. Nowadays...no weekly

in a more targeted fashion

and I now have a mortgage/house bills.

The only new releases I do buy are the odd rap records that they do put out on vinyl - got a nice grip at RocknSoul last month.

I am trying hard to stick to my list of 20 or so 'must-have in my life'. I hear new old music I love all the time but budget, floor/shelf space and lack of hours in a day mean I don't have to try that hard.

Related - I hit a critical mass wall this weekend picking records for my party...I still had another four piles to go through that I knew had records I wanted to take with me and this moment of clarity shone on me - THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    for me it's also just much more targeted, although in my case a lot of is geography based. these days 85% of the stuff i'm getting is from new england, new orleans, and caribbean/south america.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I buy more than I did 10 years ago, but I am spending less money...I buy also to flip and my main goal is to sell enough to pay for the records I keep, to maintain the habit and to be able to buy the occaisonal expensive piece without feeling guilty. My tastes are more broad than they were 10 years ago, so that is another reason I buy more.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Record-related expenses ~25 percent higher through the first two months of the year and likely to increase through Record Store Day and then taper until the summer before leveling off to right around normal before year-end. So far, it's a coincidence -- I've been digging shopping with a more discernible eye toward solid LPs and condition but also getting a little luckier in the hunt. I'm not mad, and with the luck comes a willingness to hit up a few extra shops/thrifts.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I'm not buying any. In the process of moving I realized that, not only do I have a shit load of records, I have a lot of records I didn't know I had. Records that I've been looking at online wondering if I should buy them, I discover I already own. I also don't get as many opportunities to listen to the records I have and I'm getting concerned that I won't live long enough to listen to them all anyway.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I can't imagine NOT buying records

:hard_as_fuck:

Seriously though I am buying more records now than ever before (new releases included).

• hoping to track down some of the medium rarez ($40-$80) on my wishlist

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am buying a lot less of all genres and focusing on grails/wants rather than needle droping everyweek
    this coincided with the decrease in quality in local stores

however i am buying outrageously more records in terms of volume because of my new classical habit
    for expale i have two 4X2 expedits for my collection (all genres) and 3 crates of newly purchased stuff

in the past year i have bought the same amount in classical records and need a 2x2 for the boxsets

collecting classical came from a combination of factors
    they are always super clean and usually cheap
    the thrill of huge digs and untouched collections is easier to generate
    the return on your investment is interesting (although i don't grip and flip, finding a stone mint 1$ classical worth 300-500 is easier than a funk grail)
    the genre is almost unexpirable there is so much out there and i discover new things all the time

the cons however are that you bring home a lot and when a collection is found everything is clean/cheap/new to me so i pick up everything in sight leading to huge volume

but that's one of those GOOD problems

• pcmr said:
    i am buying a lot less of all genres and focusing on grails/wants rather than needle droping everyweek
    this coincided with the decrease in quality in local stores

however i am buying outrageously more records in terms of volume because of my new classical habit
    for expale i have two 4X2 expedits for my collection (all genres) and 3 crates of newly purchased stuff

in the past year i have bought the same amount in classical records and need a 2x2 for the boxsets

collecting classical came from a combination of factors
    they are always super clean and usually cheap
    the thrill of huge digs and untouched collections is easier to generate
    the return on your investment is interesting (although i don't grip and flip, finding a stone mint 1$ classical worth 300-500 is easier than a funk grail)
    the genre is almost unexpirable there is so much out there and i discover new things all the time

the cons however are that you bring home a lot and when a collection is found everything is clean/cheap/new to me so i pick up everything in sight leading to huge volume

but that's one of those GOOD problems

damn. hip a brutha to the classical record scene. where to start, what to read.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    ^^^ yes, but your collecting classical. Not saying I don't own some classical, but I also own a dinner jacket that collects dust beside them.

For me it's less and less about volume, critical mass was achieved several yrs ago. I don't buy new releases unless they're a must own. 10 yrs ago my collecting habits were pretty much the same. I don't buy one trackers... I'm not spinning out very much anymore, and as a result I don't sift through 45's nearly as much these days. I want to play a record from run in to run out and rest my sorry ass. Man, I sound old!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    it's never about volume for me
    i search for the best performance/pressing and upgrade constitently
    i just sold 250 classical lps the other day
    it's just that the magnitude of the genre is huge and the number of releases intimidating

but i continue to collect other genres

judging by your tastes and finds post you are at a spot i hope to reach one day..always killer no filler and being able to afford top nothc purchases in all genres throughout the year

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I hear you on making $ w/ the classical. I guess I just have 0 interest in the genre due to having it shoved down my throat growing up; hours and hours and mf Hours spent in front of the piano growing up. Elitist BS spewed by teachers at me, my folks paying for it. Zero improvisation. Blah.
    I guess that's why when I finally rebelled against it in my early teens it was pretty hard and forever.... which is to bad maybe.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i should have said got rid of because i traded them in for more classical records (amazing crisp collection had come through the doors at the store so i took all my doubles and upgraded LPs)

i was a former professional choir singer (toured europe,sang opera) and the shit was shoved down my throat as well
    i quit and was fed up but my tastes had evolved and i had good knowledge of arrangements/composers

a decade later i started getting into classical and it's brought more enjoyment to my digging routine since it opens more opportunities
    and makes disappointing leads transform into interesting or at least supportable situations

however it's not everyone's bag, and that's fine by me :shh:

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i still have a record buying habit in 2012.