ST. PATRICK'S Day music

Ayrotollah77Ayrotollah77 415 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Gonna be Djing a St.Patty's day party and was wondering what the SS massive has as far as music suggestions..I guess U2 and House of Pain come to mind..what else?Peace-P77

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Im Djing on St. Patricks as well, will definitely play this:

• Just play some good drinking music- there is no way to keep some kind of St. Patrick's day theme going.

Thraed

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Play lots of joints by The Pogues and Thin Lizzy.

• Ayrotollah77 said:
    I guess U2

pointless aside, but for a self-proclaimed "biggest band in the world" i have met very few U2 fans or record-owners. being a huge snob i won't even have their records in my house; the only exception i've made is for that fran??ois k / holger czukay / jah wobble thing that the edge plays guitar on.

as for st patrick's day music, you could completely kill the vibe by playing some things from johnny griffin's "the kerry dancers" album. better perhaps would be something from r??is??n murphy (her debut album produced by matthew herbert is really good). there is also plenty of van morrison music to choose from.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Having lived in Ireland, I can tell you there are plenty of U2 fans there. Even the real hipsteurs will drop their masks of studied indifference to have the craic at a U2 gig. It would be hard to find someone who would NOT want to go. In my personal experience, the Irish are good at getting behind Irish things, regardless of what anyone else thinks - I mean that as a positive thing. I mean, they can even ride for the Cranberries. That woman's voice is like Kryptonite to me.

The Irish lads on here may have further insight?

Personally I think the early U2 (Red Rocks gig material) is excellent. I think they jumped the shark after "Where The Streets Have No Name". I turned off after that. I can't get wood for the concept stuff or preaching. But yeah, of course I can't have any of their stuff in my house. Get real.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Boyzone, Westlife, and Daniel O'Donnell.

Alternatively,

Radiators From Space, Horslips, Boomtown Rats.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    keeping it a bit pop i suppose you could roll out some bits like this

nice shiner on phil!

double*

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Having lived in Ireland, I can tell you there are plenty of U2 fans there. Even the real hipsteurs will drop their masks of studied indifference to have the craic at a U2 gig. It would be hard to find someone who would NOT want to go. In my personal experience, the Irish are good at getting behind Irish things, regardless of what anyone else thinks - I mean that as a positive thing. I mean, they can even ride for the Cranberries. That woman's voice is like Kryptonite to me.

Personally I think the early U2 (Red Rocks gig material) is excellent. I think they jumped the shark after "Where The Streets Have No Name". I turned off after that. I can't get wood for the concept stuff or preaching. But yeah, of course I can't have any of their stuff in my house. Get real.

I've seen U2 live three or four times (totally work related, I promise!) and the shows are pretty good. The level of fan excitement they generate is incredible and I think their songs sound 100% better live than they do on the record. War is the only LP I occasionally listen to but still like October and Boy. After that they can feck off.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    J i m s t e r said:

I've seen U2 live three or four times (totally work related, I promise!) and the shows are pretty good. The level of fan excitement they generate is incredible and I think their songs sound 100% better live than they do on the record. War is the only LP I occasionally listen to but still like October and Boy. After that they can feck off.
    I ride hard for The Joshua Tree. One of Daniel Lanois' finest.

If I had to listen to a U2 song, I would pick this one

imma gonna play this one also

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

I'm Irish & I have no interest in U2. Some of the early 80s stuff was alright but from the 90s onwards, ehhhhh......plus Bono has to be one of the biggest twats on the planet, he's an embarrassment.

But I totally get what your saying, they have a lot of fans in this country but I often wonder how that would if they weren't Irish

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

plus Bono has to be one of the biggest twats on the planet, he's an embarrassment.
    i thought that too until i found out he was the one who stashed salman rushdie