Soul Strut 100: #97 - Bernard Wright - ???Nard

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#97 - Bernard Wright - 'Nard

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later in a seperate part of the site.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Early 80s Dave Grusin???. Slick as Balls!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I predict that the voting system will make some strange rankings

Nard better than Donny Hathaway?

Still, Haboglabotribbin is a favorite

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Must admit I've never heard it.

• NARD DOG

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I hardly listen to this straight thru but there are joints.

I would like someone to breakdown the story behind that Jamaica Queens scene.
    Gospel, Jazz, Reggae and R&B cats creating a distinctive feel/sound.

Just Chillin' Out.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Big fave. One of the first records I bought online because I couldn't wait any long for a copy crossing my ways the traditional way. I'm trying hard not to take it with me EVERYTIME I'm DJing but in most cases it ends up in my DJ-Bag. "Master Rocker" is the tune I like to play out most. Has been the ice breaker on many parties and often made people come over to the booth asking for more of that kind. "Haboglabotribin'" is perfect for making a slower re-start after challenging the crowd with very fast Jazz or Latin-Tunes. That intro is so goddam catchy that everybody just keeps dancing even if it's at half the speed of the tune before. "Spinnin'" and "Chilling Out" are also big tunes.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:

I'd be interested in that, too.

As far as this record goes, I think it's one of the best examples of that style done right. To be honest, the sound exemplified on this record is extremely hit-or-miss for me, and it misses more often than it hits, but when it hits, like it does on this record, it really works.

I only recently learned there's a 45 for "Haboglabotribin." I definitely need to get my grubby mitts on one.

DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:

I'd be interested in that, too.

As far as this record goes, I think it's one of the best examples of that style done right. To be honest, the sound exemplified on this record is extremely hit-or-miss for me, and it misses more often than it hits, but when it hits, like it does on this record, it really works.

I only recently learned there's a 45 for "Haboglabotribin." I definitely need to get my grubby mitts on one.

I think some of the early GRP releases get that vibe right. Don Blackman is a big favorite and and the first two Tom Browne LPs have jams too.

This or Don Blackman?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    http://www.waxpoetics.com/wax-poetics-magazine/issue-46-2

I couldnt link to the actual article.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    RAJ said:
    This or Don Blackman?

Definitely NARD, IMO, of course

RAJ said:
    This or Don Blackman?

In terms of quality I'm unsure but if you add nostalgic value I'll clearly vote for NARD.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    bboyparkz said:
    Must admit I've never heard it.
    me neither

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    batmon said:
    I hardly listen to this straight thru but there are joints.

• my joint:

Beside the obvious joints??? I always dug "Music is the Key"

More Dave Grusin Smooth:

Those chords in 0:43! I like it.

RAJ said:
    More Dave Grusin Smooth:

Classic, but I prefer the Harvey Mason version.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i would take don blackman and it seems more ?? propos for the strut but obviously this record is a classic
    got me open as a micro dude bitd

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Those chords in 0:43! I like it.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    pcmr said:

got me open as a micro dudeEtte bitd

this.
    'nard was one of my first thrift finds in high school. i remember i put it on and the fact that it existed was (mad) galvanic (yo). this album confirmed there was much more discovering to be done beyond the frontier of the great rick james that my dad would blast.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    such a dope record.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

This LP is my joint!!! My favorites are "Spinnin'" and "Music is the Key", though the whole LP is extra tight. Great pick!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    RAJ said:
    This or Don Blackman?

Blackman any day of the year. And the fact that 'Nard comes in at #97 is a clear indication that the voting system here will confirm this as the majority opinion.
    I have to admit that back in the days I had only bought the Funky Beat album and didn't pick up 'Nard until they were re-released on CD a while ago. After I bought the reissue I sold it within a week. I thought it was boring as an album. Don Blackman doesn't get boring.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i dont really live in the best part of the country to find a record like this, but i still feel like i should have found at least ONE copy by now.

maybe 2012 will bring the Nard home for me.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    ha... finally found a copy of this.
    hopefully more on the list turn up...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts