"Soul" Strut: poast your favorite 45s on the MODERN label

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
I always seem to find some gems on this west coast R&B label, especially the mid-late 60's stuff though there are great R&B/Blues tracks from the earlier years. Educate me on some singles I need to be on the lookout for!

A few of my favs:

Comments

• Jackie Shane- Stand Up Straight and Tall gets played a lot when I'm playing stuff like this

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Nice! I didn't even know Jackie Shane had a 45 on Modern, and my copy of Shane's "In My Tenament/Comin' Down" on Sue is a personal favorite. Will be looking for that one now, absolutely.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Little Richard - Baby What You Want Me To Do (LR does Jimmy Reed as a male/female duet)
    Johnny Talbot - Never Make Your Baby Cry (cool soul/R&B instro/vocal)
    Ike & Tina have good stuff on there
    Mel Williams - Can It Be Me (one of my fave Northern 45s - a bit common & played out but is still is great)
    Young Jessie - Hit, Git & Split (cool R&B)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Oscar McLollie - "Roll, Hot Rod, Roll" from 1955. Flip side of his hit "Convicted," which was a ballad. "Roll" was a rocker. I like the rockin' side better, although the ballad isn't bad.

• Etta "Peaches" James -tough lover always has a positive response when played out, anything Young Jessie is well worth picking up

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Frank Armstrong and the Stingers "Stuffed Peppers"

The Sounds "Cold Chills"

Ikettes "Don't Feel Sorry for Me"

cosign on the Jackie Payne