Friday Fives 5k edition

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
So I've reached 5000 posts on ye olde strut and that coupled with the fact I've been making trealworldmovez, just came back from a trip to senegal and unearthed a couple of old mixes i thought a good ole fahioned 5ves post was of order

Ariba
1-Trying to start a family, my wife and I are ready to take the plunge without overplanning everything
2-This means we are both quitting drinking and smokin herb which is great news
3-Making powermoves to secure a great condo in a solid part of town
4-Just came back from Senegal and i could not be more blessed and my family's well being and the wonderful experiences i had
5-Came back to a strut where DonMCoy and teh one batmon killed the music talk and enki&SOI; destroyed the Clon

Abajo
1-$$$ will be scarce as fuck for a solid 10 years and i still need to finish my thesis and get the 5000 pound ourangoutang of my back for good
2-I am killing it at my job but i need to avoidn gettin bogged down in a confortable but not inspiring job and still thrive for my international development objectives
3-The local paper had a full page article on the condo development project so i will have to stand in line concert style tonight in this winter wonderland
4-After 52 years of stability and acceptable democracy my homecountry is on the verge of being plunged in chaos by some 90 year old asshole who wants his dipshit son to rule (he does not even speak the language) and is going after the constitutional ammendments he himself put in place.
5-No weed smoke or bourbon will be a challenge i was also told by all my family that i was getting fat ;)

Bonus Beat
I uploaded 2 old mixes
a ''breakz'' one
http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/mixes/indepth/bear_breaks_vol.1/
and a waxicentric one
http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/mixes/indepth/waxifoda/

furthermore here are some travel pics and record finds

I was really happy to see my grandpa laughing and smiling

I was also on a mission to get the family recipe to thieboudienne

I visited my aunt's dance school in toubab dialaw

really inspiring and creative space for dancers,musicians and chorepgraphs
caught up on some wilderness

and chilled on the village shore

it always feels good to enjoy the pure taste of fresh ass seafood and thioff fish

however this democrat hero turned sour old dictator asshole cast a shadow on the whole trip

on our way back we stopped in Paris and the Louvres and Orsay just destroyed my psyche
beautiful city indeed

as for the finds,
i did not find many african records (parisian have cleaned up dakar) but i did manage to give a couple of wants to an old friend of my dad who has ridiculous african 78s and get some leads on former DJ collections

I was suprised to find shrink disco-rap and brazilian records though

i did scratch a local want off my list with the help of a e-buddy

thanks to everyone on this board for all that it's brought me over the years...hopefully I will meet more of you in the near future
Alhamdullilah!

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    G'z up...

1. Last night we held try-outs for a fresh spring basketball season and who shows up to play for us but the son of former Houston Rocket Otis Thorpe. He's not only now our tallest player, but he's got skills for days.

2. Daughter is doing her Black History Month report on Louis Armstrong. So we've been having a blast researching and listening to music together.

3. Back to seeing the same hot lawyer chick from a few months ago.

4. Gearing up for a trip to Costa Rica in June.

5. "Good weed, good drink, big money, mane, rolling in something foreign, on leather gripping grain, I handle my business so I think I deserve to get throwed."

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

5. "Good weed, good drink, big money, mane, rolling in something foreign, on leather gripping grain, I handle my business so I think I deserve to get throwed."

• Tops
    1. Finally got another gig booked, man the last year has sucked for DJ gigs.. got the "Dropout Boogie" happenin' next week...will be nice to get paid for playing records again.

2. purging the collection, feels good to get rid of some these records...think I need to keep LPs at a 1000 or less and 45s around the 1500 mark. That seems manageable. More purging needed.

3. Job is cutting hours, although that isnt a complete positive, as I dont bring home as much money...I have lots of free time now, and that doesnt completely suck.

4. "Peep Show", quite possibly the funniest TV show I have ever seen.

5. Scooped the Wendy Rene collection today... geeked to see my name in the liners.

Bottoms

1. Job cutting hours, no money for shit like vacations and expensive records...1st world problems

2. Learning that I used to work for Rick Santorum, I had no idea he was on the Board of Directors for the Corporation I work for until he resigned to start his presidential campaign. I knew I worked for some uptight douchebags, but had no idea to the extent of douchebagossitude.

3. The records you want get more expensive as your collection grows. Sucks.

Thats it, more good than bad. Thats good.

• The_Hook_Up said:

4. "Peep Show", quite possibly the funniest TV show I have ever seen.

Yep, one of the best sitcoms out there.

Top 5:

1. It's good to be living
    2. Friends
    3. I did something risky (multiple times), and it paid off.
    4. I've been finding some nice records at the flea markets - intuition>analysis
    5. A university course on Westerns where we watch a film every time (from Ford to Leone to Unforgiven)

• pcmr, thanks for the amazing food pics! disheartened to hear about Senegal. is it human nature that power warps people? or are warped people the ones who usually seek out power positions. bah.

i dont even know if i can do a 5s list cause some of the biggest ups and downs arent public forum appropriate

yerps
    1 grades in, i will get my masters degree in may. big monkey off my back
    2 courtside last night at dallas sixers game was a first. gotta say, there are definitely a couple drawbacks to the seats. refs in your way a lot, for one. higher vantage point, less blockage. still...unforgettable seeing Kidd and Nowitzki put on a show
    3 my game is getting back to form...a weekly run is turning into recruitment into different legaues which is cool. whiteboy hustle game vindicated!
    4 carpentry projects are getting completed at my rental property...seeing each finished product and getting praise adds confidence and encourages me to do more
    5 broke up and deescalated a violent conflict at a warehouse party where in the past i would have unintelligently jumped in on the punching part.

naaa
    1 I fell into breaking bad seasons 1 & 2. while the series is amazing and i cant stop watching, i'm a little too empathetic, which is a hard thing to do with a bunch of misfits, sociopath and fuck up characters. meth is a bummer man. i'm debating whether not continuing watching, which might be hard to do. in a way, that show stresses me out
    2 Did a big late night hydroplane and fishtail on a country road. sailed in slow motion into a meadow..ok, not bad. hit an inexplicably placed fire hydrant in the meadow...bad. the worst was when i looked at my front tires they were pretty fuckin bald.i could have avoided the accident by being on top of my shit. could have been worse though.
    3-5 cant even get in to them, but they're there. nothing too deep, but it ill be good to focus time on getting shit together the next few weeks.

peace yall. be safe