Comments

• I like that record a lot too. If it didn't have such a crap cover then I think it would be well known and heavily sought after by this point.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    damn....that is really nice!!!!!

• kidinquisitive said:
    I like that record a lot too. If it didn't have such a crap cover then I think it would be well known and heavily sought after by this point.

it is great to see people react to this one, my favorite personal discovery of the year to date. really, it is 2011. when was the last time someone rediscovered an Lp in the soul/jazz genre that was outstanding and a solid listen end to end?

Jesse, i can think of much crapier artwork one trackers selling for 6X what I have this one for sale for.

Rock, i think it has 2 years since i last posted on SS. thanks for luring me out of semi-retirement and thanks for the endorsement.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    kidinquisitive said:
    I like that record a lot too. If it didn't have such a crap cover then I think it would be well known and heavily sought after by this point.

J....missed you @ ARC.....we filled up the side room at Hoovers and the Margaritas were flowing.

At Loopden I played a bay area 45 by Sass on the I.N.S. label.....could use a clean copy if you have one.

• Rock, I haven't seen any of the Sass 45s on INS for years. I think they had 2 or 3 on that label. I believe it's the same group that had a common (and excellent) 45 on 20th Century. I've had an RSS feed for at least a year and none of them have turned up on ebay in that time. Wish I could have made ARC, I had another commitment that week. Hopefully next year!

Dave, didn't mean to come off as negative re: the LP. I think it's great. My only point was that the reason it is a new discovery in 2011 is that people who may have come across it in the past probably didn't pay close attention to it because judging by the cover you would think it would sound tepid. It's time has definitely arrived now.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    between this and the waxidermy thread(s) it makes it look like they were handing out Shirleys free with ARC admission. Don't leave town without one!

Great record. One of two non 45s I picked up.

Didn't you (D*ve) say you scooped this up at Forever Young?

J....here is the Sass 45 I need....please excuse the pop and skip......this cut melts my face off

http://www.divshare.com/download/15664157-010

high_c said:

We all be sleepin'......or doing appraisals

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Rock, i think it has 2 years since i last posted on SS. thanks for luring me out of semi-retirement and thanks for the endorsement

Sup my brother Dave! Hope you are good meng & will hang soon there or in Dago.

• cloud9cloud9 49 Posts
    I think that cover is bad ass. Never heard the record before dling now. Thanks!

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Rocks sound clips have hooked me... Be expecting a call from me soon for this D!

• Hey Rich, you're in luck. That's the side that 20th Century released as well. Craig Moerer has a copy listed for $25 or with a little bit of hunting around you can probably get it for less. The one I want to hear again is called Birds Of A Feather, if I remember right. I had it years ago but failed to record it.

• when did this shirley record come out?

• Rockadelic said:

Thanks for the introduction. I was about to skip over this becasue of the cover. This really a great soul album. Thanks also for sharing this tracks.

• esskay said:
    Rock, i think it has 2 years since i last posted on SS. thanks for luring me out of semi-retirement and thanks for the endorsement

Sup my brother Dave! Hope you are good meng & will hang soon there or in Dago.

hey steve...

your were missed this past weekend. i know it is a haul, but hope to have you back to TX sometime soon!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    when did this shirley record come out?

• high_c said:

the first time i went in there. i think i only had the patience for the gospel section. thank god(no pun) that foreveryoung dave, it gets confusing in texas, misfiled the record. the only thing that remotely would give you the idea it is gospel is that one song has the word heaven in the title.

rerog, i got you. just hit me up.

it is a soul record through and through. it was recorded in 1973/74. The thing that makes it unique is that the players and the song writer are all pro jazz dudes. Billy Larkin plays organ. The guitarist he used on his World Pacific dates wrote the tunes. So what you get is a strong soul record with jazz horn charts and arrangements to give a jazz flavor... while maintaining a soul feel.

I get teased be some of my close friends for championing soul-jazz 15 years past when it was relevant, but to me it really is the kind of lost soul-jazz genre intersection. That was part of what really grew on me after repeated listenings. It is a unique sounding album.

• kidinquisitive said:
    Hey Rich, you're in luck. That's the side that 20th Century released as well. Craig Moerer has a copy listed for $25 or with a little bit of hunting around you can probably get it for less. The one I want to hear again is called Birds Of A Feather, if I remember right. I had it years ago but failed to record it.

Here are the other two Sass 45s on SF INS, "Birds of a Feather" b/w "Silken Sea" and "Do It" b/w "Life". I had meant to share these after Rock's original post a while back, but only got around to recording them today. Birds of a Feather has a slight warp to it, sorry.

BTW the numbering sequence for all three 45s goes JG-004, JG-007, and JG-008; anyone know anything else on this label?

http://www.divshare.com/download/16058787-aef
    http://www.divshare.com/download/16058799-e48

http://www.divshare.com/download/16058801-38e
    http://www.divshare.com/download/16058804-b76

• Hey man, thanks for these downloads. That's awesome, I didn't know if anyone would have these Sass 45s. The only other 45 I can recall seeing on INS was a rock 45 called Road Hog.

• I have a small amount of these on offer at WFMU Record Fair tomorrow (Saturday) or if you catch me at GRNYC tomorrow.

I will be around the numero table and Dante's table mostly, check me out if interested. If you ask those dudes they'll know where to find me.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Such a great LP! Thanks for posting these songs.

• Rockadelic said:

Just hit D@FOS about getting one today. The clips you posted are great, but that first track is insane.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Look what I found a few blocks from my house.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Cool. Have you gone to see her yet?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Not yet. She's a pretty respected jazz singer round the way. I want her to get involved with the middle school kids I am working with.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    is that the club right off of williams, kind of near the rose quarter?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    awall said:
    is that the club right off of williams, kind of near the rose quarter?

Yes, indeed

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    That first cut is amazing Rock. One to add to my wants list!

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    FOS still had copies as of a month ago...

• FOS still has copies as of today...[/FOS]

friendsofsoundrecords AT gmail