Question for the NYC Headz

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
My fam and I have decided that spending Christmas this year in NYC would be awesome and is therefore gonna happen. As such, we're looking to rent an appartment in NYC for a week or two during this period. So... I just wanted to seek advice from people in the area on how best to locate a suitable apartment in NYC for this period. Anyone have any advice on how to find one, or better yet, a hook-up with someone who might wanna rent us one?

Cheers
K.

Comments

• Go to craigslist.com and find one. Even locals do that.

The winters in New York can be brutal by the way.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I would suggest trying Airbnb.

I've had friends use it for NYC with good results.

http://www.airbnb.com

• ^^ co-sign airbnb. we have used it twice in NY and have found great spots. I recommend you look and book NOW, some people are stupid organized and get the good spots well in advance.

Any thoughts on where you want to be?

• Also, I would go in summer personally, friends have been in winter and they found it difficult to be outside at times AT ALL, let alone wandering the streets for hours on end which you will probably want to do. Plus there are so many fantastic outdoor events in summer, let alone the beach, pools, rooftops, squares, parks, bike rides, flea markets, etc, etc, etc which you may want to check out.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    Also, I would go in summer personally

or spring.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah, I know the winter might be hard to handle, especially since we're all heat-loving aussies, but the idea of Christmas in NYC just really appeals to all of us, so we're doing it. And yeah, we're looking at locking in a place asap sicne I would imagine good spots get snapped up well in advance.

• Yeah dude, Christmas in NY is pretty fantastic. Do all the tourist shit, from Roc Center and 5th Ave windows, to ice skating and hot chocolate, to Santa Land. Apart from the summer, its my favorite time of the year in the city. Who cares if its cold, you'll return to summer at the end of your trip anyway.

• Pay no mind to my wimpy countrymen - NYC in the winter is not particularly bad, especially with the new climate we've got.

Garcia is right - do all the tourist stuff, I bet your kids will love it. Then hit us locals up for some off the beaten path suggestions and you'll have a great time.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yeah, this winter has been really mild. You should definitely hit The Holiday Train Show at The New York Botanical Garden. It's a cherished New York City holiday tradition.

:roar:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    My favorite time to go to NYC is in the fall.

Smells like hot garbage in the summer...

Thanks for the tips guys. I should add that I've been to NYC twice before and both in the summer. In fact last time I was there was about a month before 9/11. Expect a 'Where the NYC headz at' post around November so I can connect with a few of you while I'm over there!

• I was going to swing by Tan Crackers TONIGHT...........date fail. I live 50 mtrs away from KXH and still fucked up the dates. Hope you had a good one.

Aww damn man. Woulda been cool to connect. Was a great night until about 2:30 (we were supposed to finish at 2 but shit was on and poppin)... Bouncer BS related! Stay tuned for details of the next one!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/tancrackerssoulclub/