What do we think of this Lana Del Ray female?

2»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, she's no great shakes as a singer or performer on the evidence of that clip, but I have to honestly say I've heard worse, and to be fair, people do have bad nights. The eagerness with which people are trashing her is a different matter, and clearly a response to the hype.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Reminds me of Mazzy Star

• RAJ said:
    Reminds me of Mazzy Star

Hope Sandoval is more legit than this lady.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Reminds me of Mazzy Star

I kind of thought that too, albeit at a very superficial level. Margo Timmins was another female singer who came to mind, but both she and Hope Sandoval have a much more distinctive style.

I think the real problem Lana Del Rey has is trying to run before she can walk.

• the amount of remixes flooding would have to do with the fact that it's a pop hit without any percussion to fight with and open bars for sampling and chopping throughout. it's like a mass-market bed track.

the SNK performance WAS that bad. she was singing out of her register and doesnt know how to breathe while doing so.... she was gasping throughout in a song that shouldn't even test limits.
    moreover.... for a performer that's supposed to be sexy and sultry, she looked like a 9 year old girl who found her moms make up and a dress and someone filmed her doing karaoke into a hairbrush.

the obvious 'not knowing where to put her hands' was Ricky Bobby-like

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Reynaldo said:

That wasn't a Kristen Wiig sketch? I'll be damned.

THIS needs to happen!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    OOF - I couldn't get through it I felt so bad for her and everyone else in that room.

As far as internet stars of questionable talent yet uglybeautiful looks go, I would take Iggy Azalea over this congealed tapioca mess ANY DAY .

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    and what happened to downtownrobbrown? did he get a ban?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'd like to add (since I think no one else has mentioned it?) that I found it to be so awful not only because of her performance, but also because the song itself is beyond obnoxious.

• tranny lennox

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    bassie said:
    and what happened to downtownrobbrown? did he get a ban?

NEVER

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Her album: http://www.mediafire.com/?42y89gfryhouya0

"Summertime Sadness" is pretty good.

File-share her back into obscurity.

• Drums on "Radio": Aaron Fuchs paydirt?

• To all you LDR h8terz, for someone soooo terrible, it didn't take long for her to get ripped off, and by Greeks!

ALSO, you can see her sheer talent even back in her Lizzie Grant days here:

Ummmmm.....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's Lily Allen doing these days?

• batmon said:
    What's Lily Allen doing these days?

her and lady sovereign had a kid, right?

• brokenrecord said:
    To all you LDR h8terz, for someone soooo terrible, it didn't take long for her to get ripped off, and by Greeks!

Ummmm.... This is from 1991.

• 3RD_Man said:
    Ummmm.... This is from 1991.
    lol, so, I take it my post was not dripping with enough sarcasm? I thought it was drenched, but apparently it was a bit more arid than I realized. lol!! I'm not good at jokes in person, and, well, terrible online I see!

So anyway though, the internet is saying that the LDR song (Videogames) is a ripoff of the 1991 Greek song. It usually seems that the 'song A is a ripoff of song B' argument is pretty dubious. Like, what are the chances that whoever wrote Videogames heard this 1991 Greek tune? But, the similarities are there. Right? But, OTOH, it's not exactly the most unique, singular song structure? From Gawker:

http://gawker.com/5878020/everyones-accusing-lana-del-rey-of-ripping-off-a-song?tag=lanadelrey

Similar, right? But I'm not much of a musician, so I dunno.

And, w/r/t the second video I posted, yeah, I was being sarcastic there too. Holy moly! She couldn't carry a tune if she had three bionic arms and a forklift! And the bottom drawer of my desk has more charisma and better moves.

Aaaaaand - it's hard to see past that....that 'thing' in front of her teeth that the wretched noises come out of, but she had a shitty nose job too. Ewww!

Whew! I feel better now - lol. It is funny when people hit the zeitgeist sweet spot, and elicit such strong, and polarizing reactions. It's really interesting. She's like musical cilantro. Except cilantro is good.