Record Selling problems with Italy?

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
Hey I've noticed a lot of ebay sellers that refuse to sell to Italian buyers. Anybody have insight on this phenomenon? I just received a 45 order from Italy and wanted to take the correct precautions before accepting payment and sending the record. Thanks!

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've had several packages get lost or just never reach their destination in Italy & in France. I only ship registered to both. It sucks when it's a cheap record and you hit'em with $25 Registered shipping but I mention this at the top of every item description in both languages. Yes, it's a hassle but it beats taking numerous losses. Also, in my experience, Italian & French buyers always spend massive amounts of money with me so for these dudes I usually just pay the extra $10 for them. Unless it's a big order then you can always work something out so that all parties feel safe, secure & satisfied. Good luck!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    oops

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I've had more shipping problems with Italy than most countries, but Italy is also one of the top five countries I do business with, so I don't see the point in discouraging that huge pool of potential bidders right off the bat with pricier shipping methods or bitterly-worded warnings and restrictions. The amount of times I've been burned, and the money I've lost as a result, has been negligable compared to the business I've done by just welcoming them to bid the same as any other country. Va tutto bene.

• Thanks guys - I'll just strongly suggest that he get tracking/registered mail, and emphasize that my responsibility ends when the package leaves my hands.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    When I do have a buyer insisting on the cheaper shipping I always ask them to send me a message stating that they take full responsibility for the package being shipped cheap, then I ship however they want.

• i've always found italian buyers to be super reliable and friendly.

have NEVER been burnt in a transact.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    i've always found italian buyers to be super reliable and friendly.

have NEVER been burnt in a transact.

What he said!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I had my only transaction with Italy a few months ago - a $65 12".

I sweated a bit due to what I've read on these forums, but all was well.

Shipped regular ole international sept 3rd and it arrived sept 23rd - a little longer than it should've taken maybe but no biggs.

She was a noob and was unhappy about the customs tax though...

• Breez said:
    When I do have a buyer insisting on the cheaper shipping I always ask them to send me a message stating that they take full responsibility for the package being shipped cheap, then I ship however they want.
    It seems to be a good tip !

• Had a couple of LP's take a LONG time to reach their destination in Italy, but they did get there in the end. Lord knows how their mail system works.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Marcofunk

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    I refuse to post to Italy , their postal system is awful , the only problems ever inccured in ten years of selling have always been to Italy, happy to do without their business

and yes Marcofunk

• Italian postal workers are known for been underpayed and corrupt. This results in a high number of packages being stolen. For the most part I have no problems with sending packages to Italy. I do require express mail for packages over $50. I'm pretty liberal with that especially with buyers I've sold to before and had no problems with.

• If I am selling via Facebook or a web board, I insist on a paypal "gift" for payment. That way they cant do a chargeback. I have only had one buyer refuse to pay this way, and it turned out he was one of the biggest chargeback rip-off dudes in Germany (Nils Sohel). Of course, you cant do this with ebay, but you can always insist that ebay customers outside of North America be required to pay for registered/insured shipping.

• Back when I used to sell records on eBay I only ever had one complaint from a buyer -- from Italy. It's the only time I ever had a record break in the mail. I packed my records really good in LP mailers with cardboard pads on either side and never ever once had anybody have any problems with a record cracking or anything except for the guy from Italy. When it happened and he gave me a negative feedback I was a little stunned because it seemed almost unfathomable that an LP could break when packed properly. It also didn't help that there was a language barrier and my e-mails with him weren't very good since he was speaking in fractured English and I know no Italian. It was just the first negative I ever received and I wasn't exactly a big time seller so one negative had a fairly significant impact on my feedback since I had under 100. It was around that time that I found out lots of people had problems with the Italian postal system...too late to save me though.

I don't think I ever bothered selling another record on eBay after that because it just wasn't worth the hassle and risk, and these days I don't think I'd want to bother with selling because as a seller it seems you have absolutely no leverage whatsoever. If one of these guys complains about their record showing up broken and lodges a complain with PayPal they'll revoke your payment in a second. And this whole thing about sellers no longer being able to leave feedback for buyers is total BS.

• dakardakar 11 Posts
    never had an issue with italy and i've shipped countless packages there.
    their postal system is notoriously slow though.
    the only people i've heard complain were punk or psych/rock dealers. mostly sellers of punk records though.
    i think part of the issue is newbies who don't realize how slow their system is, opening up cases--when they need to be patient.
    the other is probably sketchy punk and or/psych buyers.
    i think italy must be like how france is for sketchy modern soul guys.