baddest gospel ever...

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
never seen him being mentioned in here. over the years i colledted all of his records. it's a shame there is only a hand full. Boyd Rivers is the dopest gospel singer to me and stands next to Blind Willie Johnson.

anyone dig his style?

watch him get mad

Comments

• I will check this vid later but recently i have been tearing up the Soul Stirrers LP Soul's in but gospel is out of sight LP, their version of If I were a bird is ridiculously good!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    the baddest to my ears is the andrew wartts and the gospel storytellers LP.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Paging Uncle Stacks..............

• spivy said:
    the baddest to my ears is the andrew wartts and the gospel storytellers LP.

yeah, good call! Andrew Watts LP is incredibly bad but in a different way. he had a band backing him. Boyd Rivers ripped it up by himself.

he was never recorded officially. only a few field recordings exist...

btw, was the Andrew Watts LP ever reissued?

• I'm familiar with Boyd Rivers through this compilation here:

In that context, I thought of him as a blues singer who touched on religious themes. But you're right, he's great. He brings a lot of intensity to the table. The lineup on this compilation is stellar as it is, but Boyd's tracks are immediate standouts.

• i also got familiar with Boyd through these recordings. it was from that time when i was addicted to blues recorded in the field :-)
    you are right, he is singing more in the blues way but i think in the liner notes on one of the record it says that he never sang any blues...

we should start a field recordings thread in here one day. the idea of recording an artist outside a studio in his original surroundungs is as raw as it gets... ;-)

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    dang.

that first vid is enough to make this godless heathen run to the nearest church...totes chills bro. heavy.

thanks!