Buying on Discogs

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
I just tried to buy a record and it blocked me saying I don't meet the sellers requirements. I looked at his profile and he said if you don't meet my requirements do NOT email me asking to buy the record. Huh? In my book the ONLY requirement should be you have the money to pay for it! LOL What the heck kind of crappola is this? I want the damn record....

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You gotta meet the discogs requirements just for shorty bangbang to look your way
    b/w
    Perhaps you're too new to discogs for the seller's taste?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i'll buy it. just pay me $20 for the trouble ;)

yea that is kind of stupid

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Either he specifically blocked you or you have too low of a feedback. Be careful because there's a lot of misgrading on there.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Much the same as ebay

You can set the minimum feedback percentage rating required for buyers to purchase from you. This does not block new buyers who have no feedback.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    ost said:
    Either he specifically blocked you or you have too low of a feedback. Be careful because there's a lot of misgrading on there.

Speaking of misgrading I just bought a $100 7" on ebay and it arrived earlier today. It was described as mint. Well it kind of was only it was a 6" with 1/4 of the song missing. Looks like someone took a blade to it and cut one inch off all the way around it. It's not even a perfect circle but a real odd shape. I don't see how the seller didn't notice this especially since they posted a sound clip of the actual record. I guess they just needle dropped in the middle? Either that or they totally knew what they were selling and hope to get away with it. They left their return address off the package as well. I've already contacted them to resolve the problem but have yet to hear back. what a hassle. To top it off I just want the damn record but not in that condition! Bloody wankers........

• DeeRock said:
    Well it kind of was only it was a 6" with 1/4 of the song missing. Looks like someone took a blade to it and cut one inch off all the way around it. It's not even a perfect circle but a real odd shape. .

how the fuck does that happen unintentionally??
    would have been comical if he listed it in the description...elusive funk 6" grail

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Word: it's all about how you market it.

"HOLY GRAIL, SPECIAL EDITION 6-inch !!!"

I don't buy on discogs but selling is great. Of course, I've realized that I'm perhaps a bit too generous in my grading. Oops.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    What's really effed up ap=bout the whole process is that you're better off just saying you never got the item then complaining about the condition because you'll still have to pay to ship it back, wait, & hope that the seller doesn't make something up about how you actually broke it or something.

• ost said:
    What's really effed up ap=bout the whole process is that you're better off just saying you never got the item then complaining about the condition because you'll still have to pay to ship it back, wait, & hope that the seller doesn't make something up about how you actually broke it or something.

yeah, just got screwed on a record that was described as mint but was obviously well played before the massive WARP became an issue.

dude's all "i make DJ quality recordings of everything i sell" yet Paypal don't even bother to confirm such ( wouldn't mean shit anyways these days with recordings easily manipulated anyway etc)

SO, why then do I have to pay to get it back to said asshole when i would have never ordered it in the first place......... his dishonesty rules!

YES, don't complain about condition, period! straight tell them you never received it and leave it at that......unfortunately

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    [quote author="tokyobeats date=1328060747

YES, don't complain about condition, period! straight tell them you never received it and leave it at that......unfortunately

i understand the sentiment behind this because the rules suck for returning items. but please don't encourage this behaviour as it is just as bad IMO as a dishonest seller who can't grade. i've had people try to pull this stunt on me many times and can usually tell the type who will do it. good sellers have no protection at all which is ruining things for everyone.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Word: it's all about how you market it.

"HOLY GRAIL, SPECIAL EDITION 6-inch !!!"

I don't buy on discogs but selling is great. Of course, I've realized that I'm perhaps a bit too generous in my grading. Oops.
    I like my holy grailz 7 inches and up

• shit, i just purchased a record on discogs but after reading this thread im getting paranoid that its going to show up warped, cut into a strange shape, maybe turned into a picture disc by their 6 yr old son w/ acrylics and to top it off, dudes shipping costs are retarded (from spain, but the instant gratification of having the record now won me over + its a birthday present to myself). lots of rationalizing. i'll do a trip report when i get the record.

• DeeRock said:
    I just tried to buy a record and it blocked me saying I don't meet the sellers requirements. I looked at his profile and he said if you don't meet my requirements do NOT email me asking to buy the record. Huh? In my book the ONLY requirement should be you have the money to pay for it! LOL What the heck kind of crappola is this? I want the damn record....

You can set the minimum feedback % of buyers to be eligible to buy, unless they have no feedback. Open another account with no feedback and you can buy from the seller.

Others on here blaming the whole of Discogs over a bad experience is like someone I know who had bad dealings with one guy in Australia and now refuses to sell to anyone in Australia (IF YOU ARE IN AUSTRALIA DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BUY THIS RECORD! in his listings) lol

Discogs is the 1st place I go to buy, it's usually cheaper than anywhere else, and you can like eBay check the sellers feedback, if it's good, you're likely to be safe. You've got the same Paypal protection as anywhere else, it's found me a ton of records at good prices.

The situation with this one seller and the 6" record is pretty bizarre though!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Maybe I've just gotten lucky (I guess I have), but the 7 or so times I've bought on discogs, the grading and shipping have been great. A much better batting average than ebay so far.