Jazz tracks with hiphop-esque drum beats / basslines

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
Enjoy the jazz, but I'm one of those people who enjoys a good drum beat over their music. A clip I caught on NPR about a month ago made me think of it again, sounded like vintage 60s-early 70s jazz with a great drumbeat to it. Any suggestions? I know you know.

Comments

• pknypkny 549 Posts

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    There's got to be hundreds upon hundreds of jazz tracks with hard drums on them. A few that come to mind:

Rob Agerbeek - Chair Dance
    Rudolph Johnson - Diswa
    Galt McDermot - Coffee Cold (and several others by Galt)
    Professor Longhair - Big Chief

Not sure if these examples are what you had in mind, but give them a go (if you don't already know these) and see what you can find on youtube as well.

Kindly,
    parallax

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    obvious choices:
    Billy Brooks 40 days
    Heath Brothers Smilin' Billy Suite

This one's more trip hop than hip hop but still pretty good:

all time fave of mine:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    parallax said:

Glad you are shouting this out, but it's not jazz.

• Frump Trump by The Forefront

sorry, couldn??t find a youtube

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    parallax said:

Glad you are shouting this out, but it's not jazz.

Funny you mention it. Just as I was about to post it I hesitated and thought "but is it jazz?"...maybe in a loose sense, but I wanted to throw a bit of slack in case the original poster might like it. I think a similar argument can be made for 'Coffee Cold'. But in both cases, you get elements of jazz with hard drums. That's kind of where I was going with it.

Kindly,
    parallax

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming. As far as whether or not something should be posted, hey, too much is better than not enough.

• how about Les Demerle's great version of 'a day in the life'

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• old

new

• This is the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread title:

Quintessence: "Cotati Funk"

There's a ton of jazz-with-heavy-drums stuff on the various Luv 'n Haight comps from the 1990s including this, Hilton Felton, David Baker, Rufus Harley, Stone Alliance, etc. etc. It was really their wheelhouse.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ha, I wrote a post about this back in '09 with this exact theme (alas, I made a mini-mix for it but apparently, didn't bother to save the file. Oops).

"Cotati Funk" was one of the tracks I used and here's a few other favorites:

(whether library music qualifies as "jazz" is open to debate but I think it's close enough)

And alas, there's no copy of it online that I could find, but I always thought James Moody and company killed it on basslines/breakdbeat tip with the title track to Moody's "Teachers" LP.

And on the Brazilian jazz tip, a personal favorite that Young Einstein hepped me to:

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Don't know if it is Jazz to you all, but I found this filed in the jazz section.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Newer:

• some cool records posted. but i'm a little confused on the terms the op used here. isn't this thread just aka "jazz records with great drums that may/may not have an open break"? i mean technically there is no such thing as "hiphop drums" considering that they all are sourced by records very much like these.

• Cleary72 said:
    some cool records posted. but i'm a little confused on the terms the op used here. isn't this thread just aka "jazz records with great drums that may/may not have an open break"? i mean technically there is no such thing as "hiphop drums" considering that they all are sourced by records very much like these.
    By "hip hop drums" I think he meant drums that sound heavy, fat, and loud, in addition to having a hip-hop friendly pattern.

• minimini 879 Posts

• By "hip hop drums" I think he meant drums that sound heavy, fat, and loud, in addition to having a hip-hop friendly pattern.

right, but think about it: that's almost every popularized break beat ever made.
    sorry to derail the topic though. some great records so far...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    mini said:

Such a relentlessly funky track. i was thinking of posting this. Used to play the bassline in a high school funk band. I must have played it 100 times. Only line I could hold down! I was that bad LOL Love Larry Carlton's guitar at the bridge, 2;36

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Classic...also love this one:

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    surprised these haven't been mentioned (recently reissued on P-Vine)