Dee Edwards: I Can Deal With That - different versions on Deto?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
So, I thought this was the Deto version (at least, it's the same as my Deto version):

(Note: this "string and tambourine-less" version is also the version that was comped for "Searching For Soul")

Now...this confused the hell out of me and I went back to my copy and noted that the horns and strings are panned into separate channels, so one could create a "string-less" version with a simple panning job. But I asked Nydia about this and she says her version simply doesn't have strings on it.

WTF?

I know other Strutters must own this 7"; who's got horns + strings and who's got no strings?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I thought it was fairly common knowledge that there are two different versions of this cut on 45 - one with and one without. I dunno anything more about it than that though. Def prefer without.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    I thought it was fairly common knowledge that there are two different versions of this cut on 45 - one with and one without. I dunno anything more about it than that though. Def prefer without.

The only different versions I knew were the Deto vs. Morning Glory versions, which were recorded many years apart. I had never known that Deto had two different versions with basically, different mixes.

Anyone have a matrix # on the string-less version?

• Yea this is common knowledge, both labels arethe same. It might be worth asking Nydia for the matrix of the stringless as it is the harder as far as I know. Nothing suspect, both o.g. I remember her getting the for a good price by smiling sweetly at a chap at Allentown, tried it myself but does not seem to work.

• mannybolone said:
    Kinetic said:

The only different versions I knew were the Deto vs. Morning Glory versions, which were recorded many years apart. I had never known that Deto had two different versions with basically, different mixes.

Anyone have a matrix # on the string-less version?

You can tell the two apart not by matrix number but by catalog number. The Dee Edwards discography over at Soulfulkindamusic lists the two as:

De-To 2285 ??? I Can Deal With That / Possess Me ??? 1975 (Dead wax markings - With tambourine & strings = III 611426A)
    De-To 2885 - (I Can) Deal With That / Possess Me - 1977 (Dead wax markings - Without tambourine & strings = II 611426A)

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/dedwards.htm

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I must be getting dyslexic; Nydia sent me the catalog number but I read her "2885" as "2285" when I checked it against mine.

Thanks Matthew.