Is Coming to America in your top 5 comedies ever?

Comments

• YES.
    on your average saturday between 1988 and 1990 my family would be making/eating brunch or riding in the car or doing household chores and inevitably we'd start reciting one liners from Coming to America. if i was helping my mom fold laundry, my dad would walk over and say 'that's beautiful, what is that, velvet?' it runs deep. i can easily recite the entire movie and to this day if it's on tv i can't peel myself away, this even happened 3 nights ago as i made shrimp fra diavolo i was glued to it on hbo.

b/w even during herman cain's recent campaign my aunt would not stop making mcdowell's jokes and emailing me cleo mcdowell photos next to herman cain photos, making her own memes. the familial admiration for this movie is pervasive over here.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "his mama called him Cassius, imma call him Cassius!"

• I ride for Boomerang. I think I like it better than CTA, but for different reasons (they are, like Batmon said, of different genres).

Halle in Boomerang is the finest chick with a mustache I've ever seen.

Also, speaking of early, fine Halle, the other day I caught a few minutes of what I *personally* have always believed was Halle at her best-looking: the Program.

• coming to america is definitely in my top five. The only part that sucked IMO was the dating scenes in the nightclub and the love story between the Akeem and Lisa was a bit weak. other than that it was a classic.

in no order
    -Big Lebowski
    -Observe and Report
    -Groundhog's Day
    -Superbad
    -Ghostbusters

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    No love for Step Brothers!?

Grandfather said:
    coming to america is definitely in my top five. The only part that sucked IMO was the dating scenes in the nightclub and the love story between the Akeem and Lisa was a bit weak. other than that it was a classics

U dont ride for the beatbox/rapping twins?

How many quotables are in that film?

Sooooooooul Gloooooow
    The royal penis is clean
    Shes your briiiiiiiiiide

• I had to revisit Coming To America today. While it's still not in my TOP FIVE, it certainly does hold a special place in the annals of my memory. Way too many quotables going on, Arsenio and Eddie with a natural chemistry together, and a cameo from Body By Jake and Samuel L. Jackson. From front to back, a hilarious film.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    batmon said:
    Grandfather said:
    coming to america is definitely in my top five. The only part that sucked IMO was the dating scenes in the nightclub and the love story between the Akeem and Lisa was a bit weak. other than that it was a classics

U dont ride for the beatbox/rapping twins?

How many quotables are in that film?

Sooooooooul Gloooooow
    The royal penis is clean
    Shes your briiiiiiiiiide
    HE GOOD!
    YES! IN THE FACE!
    Whatever you like
    I used to do the Randy Watson point to audience then point to exit all the time. So many good things.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    to me, boomerang was the last good eddie murphy movie. he got real sloppy after that.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    We've been discussing at work recently which is better:

Step Brothers or Role Models

• sabadabada said:
    We've been discussing at work recently which is better:

Step Brothers or Role Models

How can anyone argue Role Models is better? Step Brothers is everything great about Will turned up to 11.

• someone just mentioned "Role Models," a B- comedy at best.

shit, that's not even a top-five comedy within the narrow category of post-2005 Paul Rudd/Jane Lynch/Christopher Mintz-Plasse vehicles.

thread shark hath been jumpethed.

• So Borat is the funniest movie I've ever seen in the theatre. I however have no interest in seeing it again. I can't put it in my top 10 because of this. Does that make sense?

yall done spilled a drink on this thread

• batmon said:

We then don't just sit there. Ask the waitress for some napkins to clean up this mess.

downtownrobbrown said:
    batmon said:

We then don't just sit there. Ask the waitress for some napkins to clean up this mess.

Its McDougals not MacDonalds....

• rootlesscosmo said:
    someone just mentioned "Role Models," a B- comedy at best.

shit, that's not even a top-five comedy within the narrow category of post-2005 Paul Rudd/Jane Lynch/Christopher Mintz-Plasse vehicles.

thread shark hath been jumpethed.

B- sounds about right. Its a funny movie but not like the best.

And stepbrothers is pretty amazing. Will Ferrell's best comedy for sure.

Step Brothers is not that great a movie. The beginning is funny when they hate each other, but by the time it gets to Catalina Island that movie could have just been over. Nothing funny happens for like the last half hour.

The promotion is a better John C. Reilly movie.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Step Brothers is not that great a movie. The beginning is funny when they hate each other, but by the time it gets to Catalina Island that movie could have just been over. Nothing funny happens for like the last half hour.

Yeah has moments but as a whole is about as solid as a Seth Rogan movie.

1. Three Amigos
    2. Caddy Shack
    3. Vacation
    4. Fletch
    5. Spies Like Us

oh shit I ran out of Golden Era Chevy

6. Dumb n Dumber
    7. Raising Arizona
    8. Airplace
    9. Naked Gun
    10. Hot Rod

Yeah, Hot Rod.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    sabadabada said:

Big-time

I never understood the whole "it's the funniest Will Ferrell movie!" thing. Anchorman definitely sons it.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    sabadabada said:

1. Three Amigos
    2. Caddy Shack
    3. Vacation
    4. Fletch
    5. Spies Like Us

oh shit I ran out of Golden Era Chevy

Damn son, Chevy was killin it back in the day. What the hell happened to him? Dude has not aged well.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Raising Arizona
    Trading Places
    Beverly Hills Cop
    MP Meaning of Life
    King of Comedy
    American Psycho
    Caddyshack
    Spinal Tap

• Step Brothers has one good line...Sprechen Sie Dick?!..........the rest is eehhhhh

My top 5:

The Big Lebowki
    Annie Hall
    Dumb & Dumber
    Withnail & I
    Borat

CTA....top 10

The Producers

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    In no order then

Team America (fuck yeah)
    Life of Brian
    Holy Grail
    Withnail & I
    Airplane
    Naked Gun
    The Producers
    Blazing Saddles
    Three Amigos
    Trading Places
    Lebowski

Bonus - Borat (but I agree that I don't really need to see it again as shock value was a big part of it's sucess - BUT WHAT SHOCK!)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    sabadabada said:

The promotion is a better John C. Reilly movie.

We only do 80s Billy Joel covers

Something about your face makes me want to plant one of these right in your suck hole.

• SIRUS said:
    to me, boomerang was the last good eddie murphy movie. he got real sloppy after that.

I'd watch Nutty Professor, Life and Bowfinger before Boomerang. Eddie Murphy did not really have a comedic role in that film - he was the straight guy while Chris Rock, David Alan Grier and John "Bang Bang Bang" Witherspoon had all the funny lines.

I could do a top 5 of just Eddie Murphy that would be arguably better than anyone's top 5 on here if I'm allowed to include his standup films.

1. Delirious
    2. Raw
    3. Trading Places
    4. Coming to America
    5. Nutty Professor

48 hours is a classic but it's a mix between comedy and drama.

• keithvanhorn said:

I could do a top 5 of just Eddie Murphy that would be arguably better than anyone's top 5 on here if I'm allowed to include his standup films.

1. Delirious
    2. Raw
    3. Trading Places
    4. Coming to America
    5. Nutty Professor

Not sure how seriously I can take that list with whats at number 5

I always loved The Golden Child.......

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What I remember thinking when I saw CTA and Golden Child in the theater when they came out was that Eddie Murphy had just quit trying. He was walking through the movies with out putting in any effort. I think he said as much in interviews years later.

Do I really need to watch them again?