Our Latin Thing DVD (Fania, 2011)

MintingDownMintingDown 34 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
I see the Fania DVD of Our Latin Thing has finally come out. After waiting so long for it, I'm disappointed to read (in random internet comments) that the sound and picture are lacking. This is maybe inevitable as no original print could be located to master the new DVD, and it was transferred from a 16mm print found somewhere that had been in circulation. I'm starting to wonder if I should have copped that VampiSoul boot which, though apparently lacking the ending, maybe had better sound/image?

If someone has seen the new DVD and cares to comment on its watchability I would be most grateful.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The feeling I get is that you're not going to get a better copy because the original just looks different from what we are used to because of the original way it was shot/exposed on 16mm. I never saw the Vampisoul boot. I have the new DVD & it is fine, there is one noticeable point where the sound quality changes but even so it is perfectly watchable & enjoyable. If you have Apple TV you can also download & watch it on that instead of buying the DVD. I watched it on Apple first & then went & purchased the double LP & DVD combo. It is a cool film & the music is great.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    i've got it. it's watchable, but you're not going to want to geek out and analyze it on an audiophile setup or a 55 inch OLED.
    It looks and sounds like exactly what it is: an old movie.

There are some really incredible scenes, and it's well worth a watch.

the block party scene is great.

• OK, thanks for the reassurance, guys. I shall now proceed to cop.