Is Coming to America in your top 5 comedies ever?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
I'm wondering if I'm overrating it.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Great movie and i probably can recite the shit.

Animal House
    Airplane
    Dont Be A Menace While Drinkin Juice in The Hood
    The Blues Brothers
    Which Way Is Up
    Spinal Tap
    How High

countdown to the Big Lebowski bitches............

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Not close. My top ten would look something like:

Blazing Saddles
    Caddyshack
    Spinal Tap
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Dr. Strangelove
    Young Frankenstein
    Trading Places
    Blues Brothers
    Stripes
    Airplane

I'm probably forgetting something obvious too.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't know if I have seen 5 Eddie Murphy comedies, but it might not make it into that top five.

My top five would include these mentioned above.
    Spinal Tap
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Dr. Strangelove
    +
    It's A Mad Mad World

These might make it in.
    Trading Places
    Beverly Hill Cops

There are also all the Marx Bros. so Night at the Opera could be the 5th.

I am sure there are more I am overlooking.

Just watched the first 2 seasons of Bored to Death, and did a lot of laughing.

• no, TRADING PLACES is top five. COMING TO AMERICA would be about 9 or 10.

peace, stein. . .

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    yes 'tis

• great comedy, but no, not even close.

top five would include Blues Bros, Top Secret, Caddyshack, Fast Times....fuggit I don't feel like doing this rat now.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Top Secret

YES.

I went on a cruise to The Bahamas a couple months ago and this was playing over and over in my room, marathon-style. I found it very challenging to motivate myself to get out and enjoy the beautiful sights!

• Fish Called Wanda isn't very good / hasn't dated that well i reckon. Rewatched it the other day and just thought, meh. it's no Life Of Brian.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I have fond memories of Coming To America but it doesn't even come close to the genius of Trading Places.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Junior said:
    I have fond memories of Coming To America but it doesn't even come close to the genius of Trading Places.

So many great lines in Trading Places. A random snippet:

"...Have you people ever heard of coasters?

"Would you like me to prepare some more hors d'oeuvres for the guests, sir?"

"Fuck them."

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Top-of-dome chucklefests for me:

Stir Crazy
    Laurel and Hardy (The Music Box/Hog Wild)
    Groundhog Day
    Blues Brothers.
    Trading Places
    School for Scoundrels
    Ace Ventura (I hate myself for liking any Carey product)
    Caddyshack
    High Anxiety

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    Life Of Brian.

This is probably my number 1. Almost every line is funny, and some of the bits that make you piss your pants laughing are funny because they're real (eg, stoning people for saying Jehova, crucifixion gags etc).

Trading Places, somewhere in the top 10 for sure.
    Not sure about Coming To America - great characters, slightly weak story, but definitely top 20!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Junior said:

"Fuck them."

So many great lines though I used to have an obsession with this scene for quite some time :

Not really in the mind to make lists today but if I was just looking comedies that make me laugh more than anything else rather than "great films" mine would probably mainly consist of the following plus a few forgotten right now.

Trading Places
    Airplane
    The General
    Man With Two Brains
    After Hours
    The Burbs
    Bringing Up Baby
    Planes Trains & Automobiles
    Groundhog Day
    Office Space
    Blazing Saddles
    Spinal Tap

Funny how the list is almost entirely composed of films from my youth. No doubt nostalgia and quotables plays a heavy part.

arsenio hall > nolte and ackroyd

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    In no particular order:

Big Lebowski
    Raising Arizona
    Ground Hog Day
    The Office
    The Hangover
    Dr. Strangelove
    Clerks

There are others. Coming to America is not even a blip on the radar. It has a few moments, but it's corny to me overall.

Kindly,
    parallax

• Not Top 10 to me, but that's not to say that it's not a great comedy. It's just that there are other comedies that have made me laugh more than Coming To America. And yeah, I would put Trading Places over Coming To America. I don't really rate comedies, but these films have been longtime favorites of mine:

My Man Godfrey (William Powell and Carole Lombard. Enough said)
    Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb (Kubrick and comedy. Genius)
    It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (just an all-star cast of comedy greats)
    Love And Death (my all-time favorite Woody Allen film)
    Harold and Maude (love those random death scenes)
    Duck Soup (Marx Brothers and war)
    Kind Hearts and Coronets (Sir Alec Guinness was Eddie Murphy before Eddie Murphy)
    Blazing Saddles (one of my favorite Mel Brooks films)
    Take The Money And Run (I love the documentary feel to it, but also Jackson Beck as the narrator did it for me)

There's lots of other films, but these are the ones off the top of my head. Oh, and Ghostbusters.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    There really aren't enough movies made in Queens. I'll always watch it when its on, even if I just watched it yesterday. I enjoy it just as much for the historical perspective, the clothing, the music, etc., now as I do for the comedy. It's a cute movie and I'd put it in Eddie Murphy's top five, if not mine.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    BIG LEBOWSKI = GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    School Of Rock.

More people need to recognize It's A Mad Mad World.

How many characters does Murphy play in CTA?

He took it up a notch for that flick.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    never understood murphy's obssesion with jerry lewis.

• the Sexual Chocolate scene is comedy gold..................Joe the policeman from the Whats Goin Down episode of That's My Momma.....damn that boy can sing

• Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Top Secret

YES.

I went on a cruise to The Bahamas a couple months ago and this was playing over and over in my room, marathon-style. I found it very challenging to motivate myself to get out and enjoy the beautiful sights!

one of only about a dozen movies I actually own in hardcopy.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Junior said:

"Fuck them."

you sir, forgot the best one.....

• Monty Python anybody? (Woops just realized life of Brian was mentioned already)

And yeah coming to America is a top 5 for me. Hard for me to separate it from the nostalgia factor though. Also...
    Princess Bride
    Three Amigos
    Spies Like Us
    Spaceballs

• I voted YES

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Hustling you? Hustling you? You don't think they give these to just anyone, do you? I can charge goods and services in over 86 countries.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    "In Philadelphia it's worth 50 bucks."

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Speaking of the tail end of Golden Era Eddie Murhpy comedies, what's your take on Boomerang, underrated or overrated or the little-used accurately rated? I always kinda liked the movie, although I saw it at a very impressional age (like 12) -- I actually ordered the soundtrack on CD for Christmas for my brother... from Columbia House, a crafty trick I employed two holiday seasons in a row.

It was a special time for young Halle Berry

white_tea said:
    Speaking of the tail end of Golden Era Eddie Murhpy comedies, what's your take on Boomerang, underrated or overrated or the little-used accurately rated?

I ride hard for Boomerang, but i dont really put it with the Classic Eddie Murphy Comedies.

Its more of a Dramady or Rom-Com. He's not cartoonish/outlandish. He's getting his semi-serious sexy on.

I think its a pre-cursor to the coming "Upscale" Black Film movement during the 'Neo-Soul' Era.
    Professional Brothers & Sisters and their drama presented w/ some extra-sheen/glamour.....like Waiting To Exhale three years later.

I dont see that cats up in here championing Boomerang if theyre not rockin CTA.