Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    batmon said:

Jeah or Hells Naw

yeah i need mess with that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's the advantage besides size?

You gonna be on the train makin shit?
    Or you can bring it to your own sessons or someone elses?
    Play out Live?

• I'll be meeting with them next week at NAMM to talk about this:
    http://www.akaiprompc.com/mpcrenaissance.php

the slightly bigger brother of the one listed above. Even though it has it's shortcomings, I have to say it's about f***ing time AKAI caught up with technology and offered something like this with legacy file format support. And that's coming from someone who lost his first four albums of beats to Zip disk failure. I have been using a 3000 since 1994 but i am looking forward to porting over to this slowly - assuming it isn't a complete and utter piece of shit - which of course it may be, I'll report back after NAMM

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    very skeptical of akai's venture into software given how fucked their operating systems have been for the current line of MPCs. definitely interested and will pick up if it's stable.

MPC FLY is supposed to be a midi controller that plugs into your ipad.

• TLinTLin 18 Posts
    Yo Thes -

what's the deal with the Rennaissance? - does it have internal memory at all? or are you tied to a computer? I see that it has analog inputs (GOOD!) but I dont see any sort of CF card reader, or any specs on the internal....it keeps advertising it as "standalone as an RTAS, etc" which just means that its NOT standalone... Looks dope, and definitely appreciate the integrated software, but if it doesn't have any sort of internal memory or the such than it's pretty much just a Maschine, etc...

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    your poast title--you could be talking about the beat in the vid.

the sUp3r XXX-citing brrr nrr nrnr nrr and that "one two three" makes me want to buy all these things up in advance so I can smash them

• Yeah, it's hard to say actually. I was hoping to see a full output (8) complement on the back but it appears to be functioning as some sort of front end soundcard/controller - in the sense it would allow bedroom producers to get audio into the workstation environment which would be hosted on a computer, either as a standalone program or with the program running as a plug-in in a DAW suite that would then use the CPU and hardrive to power the suite. The downside of this is every time someone has tried this plug-in format is that it only usually allows a single instance channel per DAW channel - so you open it on a stereo track as a plugin and all of the tracks route to that single stereo track in the DAW.. which for anyone who knows how to actually mix is ridiculous. These companies have continually shown that they are fully catering to the pro-sumer and bedroom jock who has no analogue outboard or multitracking needs, and hopefully this will buck that, though I wont know until after namm and i am a little skeptical. At least if you can multi the outputs you could send them to a quality DA set and get them out to the real world - twould be rad to hook up a Burl Mothership as the theoretical back end DA of an MPC. But hey, it's Akai and Roger Lynn wasn't involved. I mean, if it was for pro use why the fuck make the pads light up. shit is a disgrace. I digress.

MY wish would basically be a 3000 with a USB output to transmit identical outputs of the analog out to a DAW environment and to save the Program and Sequence files in folders on an external hard drive. Alas, we get something that appears to light up like a Mall beltbuckle. Nice.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    meh.. my speak and spell can count up to nine. this shit only goes to 3.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    I'll be meeting with them next week at NAMM to talk about this:
    http://www.akaiprompc.com/mpcrenaissance.php

the slightly bigger brother of the one listed above. Even though it has it's shortcomings, I have to say it's about f***ing time AKAI caught up with technology and offered something like this with legacy file format support. And that's coming from someone who lost his first four albums of beats to Zip disk failure. I have been using a 3000 since 1994 but i am looking forward to porting over to this slowly - assuming it isn't a complete and utter piece of shit - which of course it may be, I'll report back after NAMM

please supply a trip report. i'm definitely interested in hearing about it. apparently its supposed to the all the quantiziation patterns form the old ones but im not sure i can believe the statement until i get some real good proof about it.

much appreciatiation on this!

• 4YearGraduate said:

MY wish would basically be a 3000 with a USB output to transmit identical outputs of the analog out to a DAW environment and to save the Program and Sequence files in folders on an external hard drive. Alas, we get something that appears to light up like a Mall beltbuckle. Nice.

this is what the renaissance is kind of trying to be, right? the mpc studio is worthless from what i can tell (as you aptly labeled it "prosumer", im stealin' that term).

EDIT: just re-read thread and im all confused - so the renaissance outputs to a single stereo channel in your DAW??
    if so,
    trash bin imo.

the MPC studio i though was a joke, the renaissance was supposed to be the real deal as i understood what i was reading and hearing. now im just disappointed. i have no real desire whatsoever to change my current workflow if i have to record everything 1 track at a time so i can mix it properly just so i can use an mpc...

• No doubt, I'm bringing the video camera and you'll see it here first next thursday.

I'm not only going to put the demo machines through their paces but i'm taking a hard drive with me with legacy .ALL, Program and .SEQ files to see if it holds up. If it can't spit out sounds on individual instances, either stereo or mono DAW tracks then, yes, useless. I truly hope they aren't operating on, well thats how ****** makes beats so mono output to DAW must be fine.

I'm ready for disappointment after beta advising Roger Lynn and em on the Tempest and seeing how far AWAY from a sampling interface that evolved into the current useless instrument it is. Like the world needs another (non-sampling) drum machine.

I'd also like to restate just how much the light up pads bother me. as if making beats needed to incorporate some sort of ADD lightshow. Disgraceful. NOT ALL OF US MAKE BEATS WIT BITCHES IN DA ROOM.

• 4YearGraduate said:

Totally agree. All I want is to be able to drag and drop files back and forth between a 3000-like MPC and Ableton Live. No fancy lights etc.

4YearGraduate said:
    No doubt, I'm bringing the video camera and you'll see it here first next thursday.

It will be greatly appreciated if you can do this. I'm about to shift from MPC to Maschine, but now that the new MPC has appeared I have to sit on the fence a bit finding out whats best. A thorough review/preview would also be sick, if you get to play with it enough.

• 4YearGraduate said:

I have to say it's about f***ing time AKAI caught up with technology and offered something like this with legacy file format support.

Co-sign, I've been waiting for this function. And if it this one doesn't deliver, maybe the next one will. About the lack of physical outputs, though--maybe you can export individual tracks digitally? No MPC "sound", but my 2kXL isn't really about that anyway. But yeah, interesting to see how these turn out. And you must be able to turn off the lights, no? Ridiculous if they didn't think of that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Thank you for posting this....its fookin amazing! Mind = Blown when the dood starts playing "Flippin off the Wall Like Lucile Ball" by 3rd Bass.... hysterical! I play that song in my car and just roll around and laugh. There should be a separate "Flippin off the Wall Like Lucile Ball" appreciation thread.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    I'd also like to restate just how much the light up pads bother me. as if making beats needed to incorporate some sort of ADD lightshow. Disgraceful. NOT ALL OF US MAKE BEATS WIT BITCHES IN DA ROOM.
    You don't see that being useful performing live?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    No doubt, I'm bringing the video camera and you'll see it here first next thursday.
    quote]

pretty stoked about this actually...it'll help cut through all the hype i am sure, based on what i have read here and on the Akai site, this doesnt seem to be much of anything..

• PatrickCrazy said:
    4YearGraduate said:

No, not at all.
    Much like I wouldn't need a guitar that has light up frets or a drum set that lights up when i hit it. It's corny and reeks of "guitar center".

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    4YearGraduate said:

No, not at all.
    Much like I wouldn't need a guitar that has light up frets or a drum set that lights up when i hit it. It's corny and reeks of "guitar center".
    I've had more than a few people tell me that they liked the Korg pad controller lights solely for live performances to aid with dealing with shitty club lights. Those pads also had some custom template where they functioned as a x0x sequencer iin Live. These will definitely have something like that and I can't imagine using an x0x sequencer without visual feedback.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    4YearGraduate said:

No, not at all.
    according to recent marketing data, people are actually fish.

• Ok, I'll assume that may be a concern for some people. Then they should buy a light bright controller MIDI or Sequencer - i think things like this already exist, manufactured in China for about 1.00$. Can be bought on AliBaba. Or how about an Ipad? There has to be better things for performing than an MPC. We need a worthy studio workhorse replacement - not something to bang around live with your fingertips. The SP buttons couldn't do that in any reliable way and it's still the other great sampler historically.

The MPC is the Midi Production Center, the 3000 is the greatest sampler/sequencer of all time IMO and we are hoping this may be a professional, studio worthy but compatible with modern technology version worthy of carrying that name and Roger's lineage - something which doesn't yet exist. The fact that light up pads are put of their very limited press release is worrisome.

Yes mad doggy. Akai please don't add this to a decade list of enormous fuck ups with our instrument since the dropping of Roger Lynn to boost corporate profits. Shit just typing that makes me not want to buy it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    It is what it is man. I'm not exactly thrilled about it either. I'm assuming Maschine straight up ethered existing MPC sales so dudes need some mass appealing product. No one starting off right now is going to buy an MPC and people who grew up with them are growing more and more comfortable with software so something like Maschine is actually a consideration vs. fuck software a few years back. I'm willing to overlook it if the product is solid and especially so if there's a way to disable the lights.

• no doubt.. agreed on all fronts.

It frustrates me to see just how far it's devolved from being real instruments and machines made for professionals to where it is now. I have had to make one repair - a new screen - to my 3000 in 18 years of almost daily use. The way the video looks, If this new MPC lasts longer than 2 years I would be truly shocked.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thes, no love for the tempest? thats one of the best machines to come out in years.
    wasnt expecting that to be a sampler so maybe thats why my view on it is different.
    im all about an analog drum machine, especially with synth capabilities.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Is it just me or does this AraabMuzik guy suck? Just sayin

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Murdock said:
    Is it just me or does this AraabMuzik guy suck? Just sayin

His schtick is getting annoying.

I think the anger at light up pads might be a little misplaced...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    It's sad to see where Akai is now but I also kinda gave up on expecting anything great out of them a while ago. The best thing any of us can hope for now is if Korg is successful with their analog ventures and hopefully everyone will follow suit after.

• yeah, Korg is stil lhiring like crazy Japanese PHd's and letting them run R&D on products. There 1-Bit Conversion/DSD venture is awesome and is truly slept on - MR-1000, MR2000 etc. On my short list of things to buy.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

I'm ready for disappointment after beta advising Roger Lynn and em on the Tempest and seeing how far AWAY from a sampling interface that evolved into the current useless instrument it is. Like the world needs another (non-sampling) drum machine.

I saw Dave Smith do a demo/lecture with Tempest and while it sounds great, I didn't really see any practical use for it. I was hoping that would be the 2012 MPC we've been waiting for but no dice.

I haven't looked at the specs for either of these new MPC's, but isn't that portable one just a glorified MIDI controller?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    day said:
    I saw Dave Smith do a demo/lecture with Tempest and while it sounds great, I didn't really see any practical use for it. I was hoping that would be the 2012 MPC we've been waiting for but no dice.
    They really didn't manage expectations on that one. It was really unclear as to whether it would sample or not even months up until it was released...

I haven't looked at the specs for either of these new MPC's, but isn't that portable one just a glorified MIDI controller?
    It is a MIDI controller and combined with the software component, you're supposedly going to have a MPC. Whether that actually happens exactly how it has been represented is completely unknown. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, Akai hasn't exactly been great on the software front and one of the prime reasons why people like MPCs is stability so....