Jay-Z "Glory"

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
What do you guys think of this? I was just about to start a Neptunes appreciation thread too and then i heard this, they're truly amazing. I really like this, whats the feeling over here?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Post a link - I've resolved not to google anything in 2012.

• minimini 879 Posts

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    ^ Thanks.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I like that he's not afraid to make a song like this. It's cool, but not something I'll return to I think. No "It's a boy (remix)".

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I like the whole "Isn't She Lovely" kind of vibe. Sure, people are going to say it's corny, but I think it's kind of sweet.

Someone (Byron Crawford, IIRC) tweeted yesterday about how Blue Ivy being one day old and having a record out is obviously an Illuminati conspiracy.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Let the games begin!

Illuminati???s
    Very
    Youngest

Born
    Living
    Under
    Evil

Eulb Yvi - Latin for Lucifer???s Daughter

Where is the Board's Latin expert when we need one?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like the song. Yea, it's corny, but still nice and believable for the moment.
    Might be too personal for folks to be using it as their "we're having a baby!" anthem.

I can do without the baby sounds.

I don't get why he keeps saying sorry after glory though...am I hearing it right?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    Let the games begin!

Illuminati???s
    Very
    Youngest

Born
    Living
    Under
    Evil

Eulb Yvi - Latin for Lucifer???s Daughter

A friend of mine was breaking this news to me. She's into that Jay is in a secret society shit.

Eyerolls

Its not a bad song actually but i still think its corny.

TMZ Rap

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    bassie said:
    Eulb Yvi
    i read about this album on pitchfork, its pretty good.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:

TMZ Rap

Pssshhh...Iike it's the first time a musician or artist paid tribute to their child.

I like the song. It's touching. Anything anybody ever says to or about their child can come off as corny to some. Goo goo ga ga.

(insert rhetorical Batmon question here)

• doesn't he have a kid by someone else? i'd hate to be that kid knowing that your pops thinks you are shit and how your pops made a song to his other kid but doesn't even acknowledge you.

mumbosauce said:
    doesn't he have a kid by someone else? i'd hate to be that kid knowing that your pops thinks you are shit and how your pops made a song to his other kid but doesn't even acknowledge you.

I've heard that rumor too, but in this day and age of TMZ RAP ;-) don't you think it would have been exposed by now?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    mumbosauce said:
    doesn't he have a kid by someone else? i'd hate to be that kid knowing that your pops thinks you are shit and how your pops made a song to his other kid but doesn't even acknowledge you.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    mumbosauce said:

• A new father--one of the most successful artists of his generation--wrote a tender song about his daughter when she was just days old. Hate on that if you must, but it says a helluva lot more about you than it does about Hov.

It's not my favorite track by any stretch, but it's a very touching song. I won't waste my breath trying to explain to non-parents why this is such a sweet song, and parents won't need it explained.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    ^ Yes!!!!!!!!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    bassie said:
    I don't get why he keeps saying sorry after glory though...am I hearing it right?

I feel like he's appologizing for going on and on about her birth and how happy it makes him.............it's one of my favorite parts of the song, very human moment.

hogginthefogg said:
    A new father--one of the most successful artists of his generation--wrote a tender song about his daughter when she was just days old. Hate on that if you must, but it says a helluva lot more about you than it does about Hov.

It's not my favorite track by any stretch, but it's a very touching song. I won't waste my breath trying to explain to non-parents why this is such a sweet song, and parents won't need it explained.

Thank you for this.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    IS THIS A NEW THEME??????

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Game did one of these:

• i think jay has other kids "but i gotta feed tienna man/ move keys you can call me the piano man" -"What we Do"

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I like it, it's a celebration of a birth so if it doesn't have the right to be a bit cheesy and heartfelt I don't know what does. Don't think I'd play it over and over but it certainly beats plastering facebook with pictures of your child's first smile/yawn/dump.

In a way it feels like a follow up/companion piece to his verse on New Day. Never would have guessed it was a Pharrell production.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    yea joe camel is real cool
    pfffft
    piss the fuck off

That hospital officials will bend over backward in catering to deep-pocketed guests, going so far as to bring in extra guards and tape over security cameras so privacy will not be disturbed.

And that other parents would be made to feel like second-class citizens on what should have been their own happy occasions.

Bronx dad Edgar Ramirez reported that security personnel blocked him from seeing his newborn daughter for an appalling three hours. ???The security was just ridiculous,??? he told the Daily News. ???I felt like I was in a prison.???

Neil Coulon of Brooklyn said he faced a 20minute wait to visit his twin daughters in neonatal intensive care. At one point, his wife, Rozz Nash-Coulon, said she was told the floor was on ???lockdown,??? and if she left the unit, she couldn???t return.

This is no way for a hospital to treat any parents, no matter how ordinary their income or unknown their names. Especially when the hospital gets taxpayer funds fromMedicare and Medicaid.

Lenox Hill Executive Director Frank Danza said he???s investigating but so far all but one of the parents he has talked to had no major complaints.

He confirmed the hospital happened to renovate its ???executive suites??? just before Blue???s arrival ??? but called this a coincidence and denied her parents gave $1.3 million to finance the face-lift.

He also confirmed the hospital beefed up security for Jay-Z and Beyonc??, as it does for many ???high-profile??? patients ??? but said he was unaware of anyone being held up more than a minute or so.

But why should new mothers or fathers be held up even for a second? So deeper-pocketed parents won???t have to mix with the hoi polloi?

The state Health Department should get to the bottom of whether people were detained for anything close to 20 minutes, let alone three hours ??? because that would be seriously wrong.

Surely, Jay-Z and Beyonc?? never intended to inconvenience anyone in celebrating a blessed event. But the hospital failed to deliver.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/lenox-hill-treat-parents-jay-z-beyonce-article-1.1004212#ixzz1j91P5mwc

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

TMZ Rap

Pssshhh...Iike it's the first time a musician or artist paid tribute to their child.

I like the song. It's touching. Anything anybody ever says to or about their child can come off as corny to some. Goo goo ga ga.

THANX FOR THIS^^^^

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I like it, and I haven't been a fan of Jay's grown-up moves musically in the latter part of the 00s.

I'm biased though - I'm generally a sucker for earnest "new baby" records (Stevie obv, also see here: ), plus my wife and I just had our own first child...

(F*ck a poo-poo photo on FB; this is my new profile pic)

I like the beat... and it's surprising that Phorreal made it. Not sure if it's brilliant or anything...but it's nice.

• Herm said:
    mumbosauce said:

I've heard that rumor too, but in this day and age of TMZ RAP ;-) don't you think it would have been exposed by now?

Back in 1995 or 1996 Jay-Z guested on the radio show I was doing and he came through with one or two guys and a little boy who looked to be about two. I always assumed the child was his. I've seen a lot of rapper entourages, but I'd never seen one with a kid before.

• I listened to it, liked it OK, and have no interest in returning to it. Like Bassie, I did not find the baby sounds necessary--as a matter of fact, I thought it was sort of tactless. That shit Kala posted is not cool at all, though. Sure, it's not Jay-Z's or Beyonce's fault, but it's a shame nonetheless.

As far as baby songs go, I always liked this:

batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

TMZ Rap

THANX FOR THIS^^^^

You probably think I'm joking when I say this, but I don't get it. Seriously.

b/w

H.E.R.M.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2012/01/11/beyonce-baby-pic-blue-ivy-carter-photo-joke-50-cent/

b/W
    Rumors have been circulating since Beyonce gave birth to Blue Ivy on Saturday night that the couple are shopping the first images of the newborn around to magazines for a multi-million dollar payday.
    The couple reportedly left New York???s Lenox Hill hospital with baby Blue Ivy in the early hours of Wednesday morni