Chess Strut...round two...

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
I posted this question a few years back...anyone here into Chess? I've been playing a lot and would love to get humbled by any SS heads...

Also any advice for good sites to play, to learn from or just a good book or documentary would be dope.

This doc on the Kasparov Karpov match circa 1990 is 2 hours and 45 minutes of Chess pr0n, btw...the tracking glitch goes away around the 4th minute or so:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-123587302886162278

If anyone has the app Chess Online (cloudroid) on their droid I'd love to play...lemme know.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i play with the wife but we both stink (chess club in 3rd grade is not coming back)
    what are good beginner books

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I play fairly often with the kids where I work. I just have to say, if the bloods or gangster disciples were looking to get into some legitimate forms of competition, they should get into the chess game. Buncha of these gang kids are chess wizards.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    pcmr said:

I love that book. It's one of the few books that teaches Chess tactics and doesn't require you to read with a Chess board and pieces by your side. It's crazy how you don't really read the book as much as you play it...it's like a damn gameboy in paperback form. Funny fact, that book is not written by Fischer...two dudes paid Fischer to allow them to put his name on it and he got paid but had virtually no input on the book...they do use a lot of moves/approaches from his matches, though.

As far as people who are novice and trying to get back into it, I suggest youtube...it's fucking great for describing openings, middle game, end game and you don't need to buy a book or have a Chess set by your side. My main set back to reading a Chess book is that it is too interactive in that they almost always require you to have the board out and be moving the pieces etc...lazy, I know....whaddaya'gonnado...

I have found the best method to getting better is just playing a lot...Yahoo Games is a good site to play...if you have an iphone Chess With Friends is a good app, I hear...

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Too depressing knowing that my younger self was a very good chess player and would clean the floor with my older self.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks for the recs
    i've been getting into classical music more so this will be a great combination

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    cove said:
    Too depressing knowing that my younger self was a very good chess player and would clean the floor with my older self.

When I was 7-10 years old one of my best friends was a chess prodigy and we played all of the time. I never beat him, ever, though I came real close once and made a stupid mistake and lost. I was the only person our age who could even make interesting enough for him to play.

When he was 8 he would give demonstrations at the YMCA where he would play five adults at once and beat them all, every time. He later became a Grand Master when he was in his 20s.

No doubt I would suck now, however.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Horseleech said:

When he was 8 he would give demonstrations at the YMCA where he would play five adults at once and beat them all, every time.

That is so badass!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    WhoIsStanPapi said:
    Horseleech said:
    cove said:

When I was 7-10 years old one of my best friends was a chess prodigy and we played all of the time. I never beat him, ever, though I came real close once and made a stupid mistake and lost. I was the only person our age who could even make interesting enough for him to play.

When he was 8 he would give demonstrations at the YMCA where he would play five adults at once and beat them all, every time. He later became a Grand Master when he was in his 20s.

I came close to beating a Grandmaster named Larry Christiansen but screwed up bigtime in the endgame.

Of course he was playing 49 other players at the same time. And 10 of those games were blindfold games. Almost all of them against experienced high school, college and club players.

He had one or two draws and no losses.

It was part of an exhibition tour sponsored by Church's Fried Chicken.

It looks like this guy and my friend (Michael Wilder) played a few matches, splitting them evenly:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?pid=15434&pid2=15040

Church's Fried Chicken?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    WhoIsStanPapi said:
    pcmr said:
    i play with the wife but we both stink (chess club in 3rd grade is not coming back)
    what are good beginner books

This is the one I'd recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Fischer-Teaches-FISCHER-TEACHES-Paperback/dp/B002G7F4TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311344094&sr=8-2

I was a fairly strong player in high school and college and I think about giving live chess another go once in a while, but I'd be rusty as hell.
    This is another good starting resource

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Morteza Mahjoob from Iran holds the Guiness record for playing 500 games at the same time and only losing 13.

Anyhow, I like chess, but I don't know anyone who knows how or wants to play. I don't have the time to sit down and get serious with Yahoo! Chess, either. It's a great game. It's a damn shame some people I know dismiss it as hoity-toity nerd shit.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Bump...would love to play any Strutters. This is my favorite site for playing on the computer www.chess.com. My screen-name is jectwon.

Goes great with slow burners and a growler....and a slow burner.

• Chess is my favorite board game. I play a bunch on my phone. I used to play in yahoo games, but it's been a few years. email me if you ever want to play a friendly game online.