Common Vs Drake (Rapp Battles in General)

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Why, E-40? Why?

• I'm gonna hate myself for asking a question about an Aubs song, but what is that "e'ey day, e'ey day" from originally? I know I've heard it somewhere else, but alas, it's ungoogleable.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    batmon said:
    Name a great MC that never had to battle or address a competitor?

Wonder Mike.

• hogginthefogg said:
    I'm gonna hate myself for asking a question about an Aubs song, but what is that "e'ey day, e'ey day" from originally? I know I've heard it somewhere else, but alas, it's ungoogleable.

Just remembered it: Slum Village "Get Dis Money."

And now I can go back to ignoring Aubrey.

• I heard all the stuff about Rakim and Kane but Rakim never HAD to go against anyone. There were no direct tracks against him.

I don't recall anyone going at G Rap(wise move) but who was the "big fat sap sucker" mentioned for biting at the end of Poison????

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    i bought the album twice off iTunes. Common is the best rapper there is!! ???

From youtube comments. Didn't know that "rocking doubles" survived in the digital age.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    I heard all the stuff about Rakim and Kane but Rakim never HAD to go against anyone.

If he didnt HAVE to go against anyone, why was he taking shots at Kane?

There are way too many references in both dudes songs for u to come up with that conclusion.

Stop buying into the Rakim mystique and realize dude was getting touched.

• DJ_Enki said:

Why, E-40? Why?

FUCK

THIS

SHIT

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    drake's response:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Why, E-40? Why?

FUCK

THIS

SHIT
    Drake has now secured the last of the requisite co-signs (East, West, South) and is therefore undeniable. Fall in line.

• Reynaldo said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Why, E-40? Why?

FUCK

THIS

SHIT
    Drake has now secured the last of the requisite co-signs (East, West, South) and is therefore undeniable. Fall in line.

didn't the Kreayshan n-word thing confirm that Mistah Fab will cosine pretty much any clown with money tho?

and as for Mac Dre's mom, well, it's not clear from the video that she had any clue what was going on.

cosining Aubs says much more about the fool doing the cosining (be they Bun B, Mistah Fab, etc.) than it does about Aubs (who remains an embarrassing phony).

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I started to lose faith in the general Hip Hop public when Rick Ross was exposed as a fake and the majority of fans - including "real headz" - just shrugged their shoulders like it was nothing. Yes, I understand he makes good songs, but still, I can't help but cringe when he boasts of his criminal ways. (Though if he admitted he was merely playing a character, I'd have much more respect for him.)

This Drake business and the cosigns from established dudes who have built careers dissing his type and ridiculing other rappers who are 'less soft' (for lack of a better term) than him pretty much makes me wanna give up completely and start chugging the Kool-Aid. You can NEVER talk sense into these Drake fanboys. They're like "Pimp C cosigned him," end of discussion. And the sad part is...they're right! How can you argue that when Pimp C was one of the few rappers who would call out some bullsh*t like that?! Thing is...his and Ross' army of fans and cosigners is so incredibly massive that I start to think that maybe I'M the one who is out of of the loop! Fortunately I have Faux Ghost and - in Ross' case - a couple of unsavory Hip Hop head/"entrepreneur" friends that let me know I'm not alone.

I'm not even a Kreayshawn fan but I give her and that other white girl "p*ssy! p*ssy! p*ssy!" rapper much more credit than I do these dudes.

• Just so we're clear, why is it wrong to cosign Drake/ What's wrong with Drake?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    Just so we're clear, why is it wrong to cosign Drake/ What's wrong with Drake?

There's really nothing "wrong" with it per se, but in MY opinion, dude is super corny and I can't comprehend why these established dudes are so quick to jump on the bandwagon. To each his own, of course.

Herm said:
    StoneHands said:
    Just so we're clear, why is it wrong to cosign Drake/ What's wrong with Drake?

There's really nothing "wrong" with it per se, but in MY opinion, dude is super corny and I can't comprehend why these established dudes are so quick to jump on the bandwagon. To each his own, of course.

Dude co-sign because it keeps their name in lights and its helps boost their brand.

Drake is the new money right now.

In a couple of years well be on the the next shit.

Remember Pharrell?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Herm said:
    I started to lose faith in the general Hip Hop public when Rick Ross was exposed as a fake and the majority of fans - including "real headz" - just shrugged their shoulders like it was nothing. Yes, I understand he makes good songs, but still, I can't help but cringe when he boasts of his criminal ways. (Though if he admitted he was merely playing a character, I'd have much more respect for him.)

This Drake business and the cosigns from established dudes who have built careers dissing his type and ridiculing other rappers who are 'less soft' (for lack of a better term) than him pretty much makes me wanna give up completely and start chugging the Kool-Aid. You can NEVER talk sense into these Drake fanboys. They're like "Pimp C cosigned him," end of discussion. And the sad part is...they're right! How can you argue that when Pimp C was one of the few rappers who would call out some bullsh*t like that?! Thing is...his and Ross' army of fans and cosigners is so incredibly massive that I start to think that maybe I'M the one who is out of of the loop! Fortunately I have Faux Ghost and - in Ross' case - a couple of unsavory Hip Hop head/"entrepreneur" friends that let me know I'm not alone.

I'm not even a Kreayshawn fan but I give her and that other white girl "p*ssy! p*ssy! p*ssy!" rapper much more credit than I do these dudes.

It's worse being from the same city as Aubs - right away folks go to the "you're a hater!" line coupled with "Toronto never supports its own". I don't know WTF Toronto at large does, but I'm not going to support a dude whose music is wack to my ears and gut just because he rode the same transit system as me.

This rap shit - it's varying degrees of performance art and play-acting anyway. I agree, I was surprised that the Officer Ricky shit didn't bury him, but we talk about separating the art from the artist on the Board all the time. His posturing makes me cringe, too. I am not really a Ross fan and, to be honest, I can't tell anymore if it's due to all his BS or that I really don't like him as a rapper. I groan on the inside every time he shows up on a track. (like Drake). My friend is "how you gon hate on Ross but you like WFF?" I don't know. It's taste! I have no explanation!
    Semi-related: I am AMAZED Vybz Kartel's whole skin-bleaching, hair-extension stuff was a mere blip on the distasteful-meter! I can't deny, man puts out killer music, but am still shocked this whole cosmetic trainwreck has not slowed him down at all.

Only thing I'll give Kreayshawn credit for is being the spawn of Elka Zolot from a great garage band - The Trashwomen.

• batmon said:

Remember Pharrell?

yes there was a time when everyone seemed to be working with him, but this is where the comparison ends.

pharrell produced some of the greatest hip hop club tracks of the last 25 years.

drake makes doo doo.

bassie said:
    I'm not going to support a dude whose music is wack to my ears and gut just because he rode the same transit system as me.

THANK YOU

rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

Remember Pharrell?

yes there was a time when everyone seemed to be working with him, but this is where the comparison ends.

pharrell produced some of the greatest hip hop club tracks of the last 25 years.

drake makes doo doo.

Talent doesnt matter. Dudes will get w/ whomever is gettin shine.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bassie said:

Semi-related: I am AMAZED Vybz Kartel's whole skin-bleaching, hair-extension stuff was a mere blip on the distasteful-meter! I can't deny, man puts out killer music, but am still shocked this whole cosmetic trainwreck has not slowed him down at all.

let alone the whole daggering condoms line and whitening ''cake soap'' line business ventures

ross has a wack overwrought image but puts out good music
    aubs puts out trash or ruins good songs (i'm on one being a prime example)
    i am lukewarm at best on weezy's entire output but i respect the man's grind from cash money teen to today
    compared to cases like whiz kalifa who have me abandoning any hope of hiphop thoroughness and self-policing ever mattering again
    the barometer of the hiphop fan has certainly demographically changed as well

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    RE this being a battle: Has anyone said a name in a track yet? If not...then I would consider this as about as "battle" worthy as valley girl lunch table fuck shit...call me old fashioned.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    RaPP threads on Soulstrut

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Still waiting for you guys to provide updates on this beef. It's gotten a lot juicier!

phongone said:
    Still waiting for you guys to provide updates on this beef. It's gotten a lot juicier!

You mean Common's (pretty solid) verse on this horrible song?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    phongone said:

UGH, horrible. Worse. Ever.

• insert peculiar video that's vaguely if at all related but mesmerizing still:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    elise said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    phongone said:

canada dry...really??

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    pcmr said:
    elise said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    phongone said:

canada dry...really??

I know, right. Haven't even heard the wrap and Common might be a Schweppes guy, but he probably hasn't tried this either:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts