Jan 2012 Finds

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
So just back from a New Year's party in Holland taking in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Found some real goodies in the stores and on the markets.

The first picture are Xmas Pressies:

The Next two pictures are trades from a London store and rest from local cheapie store to me:

The rest are from Holland:

These next two are possibly my best finds of 2011 and the came on New Years Eve!!

Comments

• damn homie! you get them cheap too?

• The Englishman & Medasi records are sealed, Fela is the OG Nigerian press.

The New York Jazz Quartet record is AMAZING. I bought it off the strength of Roland Hanna on piano, because I have his Child of Gemini LP (a .50 cent find) which is also incredible, and also because it was on CTI's Salvation Records.

Does anyone know anything about Englishman? Or this record in particular?

• starting the year off
    Attached files

Attached files

Attached files

Attached files

Attached files

Attached files

Attached files

Attached files

• First local (five minutes from my house) house call of the year turns up a near mint, still in shrink copy of this (which I will be keeping at least for now) -

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Scotch Plains Fanwood High School Class of '70 presents Winter's Too Cold For Sneakers

• Best $1 find in a while!!! First edition from 1973. Coolest book I own at this point.

• I guess Neil is on a roll!

That book cover art looks like the guy who drew abraxis/bitches brew/sextant

• DjWillderness said:
    I guess Neal is on a roll!

That book cover art looks like the guy who drew abraxis/bitches brew/sextant

One and the same. Really sick book!

• I found a few records.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    didnt have a chance to stay caught up for the last month, so a bunch of these are from several different December buys too. the library and small press stuff near the end is all from one guy who bought and held for like 30 years. deals were worked out, everybody went home happy.

^^ i hate xmas music and i hate bad disco, but that cover was redic.

^ another steel band disappointment with a great cover.

^ 1st mono og magical mystery ive ever found in the field. also a 1st press black flag

^ the elusive, kinda meh last "VU" album. [accidental double tim rose photo]

^ Trenchcoat has this terrible attempt at english accents rap on the last track. wtf.
    The shortest day is some pretty hardcore Israel/Arab conflict humor from late 60s.

^same Catherine Howe as on the Numero release that put out the album that proceeded this.

^ i love this cover

^ i knew these are hit and miss but the lot was cheapo so wtf

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    :face_melt:

• BruceGeetz said:

Does anyone know anything about Englishman? Or this record in particular?

I don't know much about him, but found a sealed copy of his Man, Machine, Music LP a few months back at a flea. It's a dub LP mixed by Scientist. I love Scientist dubs and was pretty hyped to hear it, but it's actually pretty forgettable. Anyway, I think Englishman is from DC (or at least was in DC in the 80s). Don't know much more.

How's the one you found?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Happy 12's all, I've had my head in the sand for a while but did come up for air long enough to go through a couple of collections recently: one filled with Krautness, the other filled with old jazzness. The jazz was cheap and is unplayed. The K Clark - F Boland LP I'd never seen before, it's good, as is the Heath which is in the same line.

• I know its been awhile since I posted anything here, but I've have the greatest diggin' luck just this past week. All are field finds from the NYC and Upstate area. All LP's are OG's (well the Matata is the 2nd issue US press) and were $15 or less.

The Har-You Percussion and Matata are still sealed,

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Manduro3000 said:

:face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: for the Har You

• damn!! sealed Har-You!?

:balla:

• Wow, that's pretty sick! What's the story?

Congrats.

• dreskieboogie said:
    Wow, that's pretty sick! What's the story?

Congrats.

Found a Westchester guy though the web who had records for sale. Went to check him out and through a pile of crap found the sealed Har-You Percussion already priced at $15. I figured he just looked online and saw all the reissues and figured it was just a repress and priced it that way.

The Lialeh was even stranger... Bought a OG copy from a local record dealer for serious $$$ and a week later (2 days after I found the Har-You) I found another OG copy from a guy selling one in Staten Island for $14. I can't even make this stuff up.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    finding a sealed white whale would have me believing in a higher power

• finds from late December and early January from KY & NYC, coupled with a few from back home in Tokyo...
    but the biggest find was my girl's "yes" to the engagement question.

EOU, boogaloo combo & the james mason are reishes...blue notes are japanese except the d. byrd (my dog ate the obi's)

boddie is fire.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Manduro3000 said:
    I know its been awhile since I posted anything here, but I've have the greatest diggin' luck just this past week. All are field finds from the NYC and Upstate area. All LP's are OG's (well the Matata is the 2nd issue US press) and were $15 or less.

i think you're going to have a good 2012.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    llmod1 said:

that shadows of knight is one of the two records ive bought so far this year.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    willisread said:
    finds from late December and early January from KY & NYC, coupled with a few from back home in Tokyo...
    but the biggest find was my girl's "yes" to the engagement question.

EOU, boogaloo combo & the james mason are reishes...blue notes are japanese except the d. byrd (my dog ate the obi's)

boddie is fire.

CONGRATULATIONS! All the very best for the future to you and your girl.

(Nice records, too - the Lou Bond never seems to pop up on this side of the Atlantic and my copy sounds like it's been used as an ice rink by overweight mice.)