7" and the hole is too large

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
:pasue:

So if you have a 7" with a centre hole that is too large, what are the best/easiest fixes?

Comments

• I taped a small piece of cardboard over the hole, placed another 45 over it, put an adapter on the "good 45", then made a pen mark on the cardboard by putting the pen through the hole in the adpater. Then punched a small hole where the pen mark was and that is my new "hole" for the 45...downside is that you have to have a piece of cardboard taped to your 45 forever now.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    what are the best/easiest fixes?

Go see a doctor?

...I'll see myself out.

• Duderonomy said:
    :pasue:

So if you have a 7" with a centre hole that is too large, what are the best/easiest fixes?

easiest is just use scotch tape through the hole, cut small strips, feed it through the hole and let it overlap just a bit on the label on both sides.

the worse the hole is, the more tape you use at different spots (i.e. a strip @ 1 o clock, a strip at 5 oclock a strip @ 8 o clock etc)

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Tape an adapter securely to the 7" so it's aligned just right.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    tape the 7" to a 12" which has a correct hole. Only good if you only want to play 1 side of the 7". I think it's safe to say we've all got a 12" we could sacrifice.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    I think it's safe to say we've all got a 12" we could sacrifice.

speak for yourself [pasue]

• have you tried one of these:
    http://www.vinylengine.com/images/forum/45rpm_adaptor.jpg

the juke box adapter might work best..

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Thanks all for the suggestions.
    :coolsmile:
    I will try either taping an adaptor to the 45, or gluing it to a spare 7 inch.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    leave the record alone , slip a tubular piece of rubber (largish electrical cable outer) over the turntable spindle

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    gaz said:
    leave the record alone , slip a tubular piece of rubber (largish electrical cable outer) over the turntable spindle

From what you're saying, that sounds like a fix for a small hole problem :pasue:

This is a large hole problem for my 7 inch :pasue:

I'd need something much bigger than some tubular rubber over the spindle as the hole is too big for an adaptor.

• You can even just stick a Post-it note over the big hole and cut a little hole in the note where the true center is, for the little spindle. I would only do this if you don't plan on manipulating it too much while playing. I like the method because it doesn't add to the width of the record and it does no permanent damage like tape or glue can.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Cut a piece of bike innertube and slip it over your standard 45 adapter, or get one of those old school heavy metal adapters that look like crosses and are really hard ot get out, those are huge.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Get one of these plastic ties and cut 4 1/4" pieces off of it. Trim these down with a razor so they aren't too wide, and glue them to the inside of the hole opposite each other.