Houston Record Shops

youknowyouknowyouknowyouknow 264 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
Hey Y'all,

I'm in Houston for a couple of days and I'm hopeful to spend much of the time looking for records. I know Houston has some heet (I remember many of the Austin Record Convention sellers being from Houston) but there isn't anything posted in the SS city guide section. Please hip me to some spots. Into Modern Soul, PINAs, Jazz, Boogie. Jeah.

Thanks.

Comments

• I haven't being buying as much as I used to, but a short list is:
    Vinyl Edge
    Sound Exchange
    Cactus
    Half-Price Books(multiple locations)

Pointman and Flatblackplastic might know about some more.

• Isn't Friends of Sound in Houston?

• Treehouse said:
    Isn't Friends of Sound in Houston?

Pretty sure that's in Austin.

• mucho gracias

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    barjesus said:
    I haven't being buying as much as I used to, but a short list is:
    Vinyl Edge
    Sound Exchange
    Cactus

That is pretty much the nucleus of Htown record shops right there.

You can also hit up Sig's Lagoon, which doesn't have a ton of used vinyl but a great selection of reissues if you're looking. Height's Vinyl just opened in the Heights. The consensus so far is it's pretty lackluster but maybe there's something worth buying there by now.

Give me a shout if you need any other pointers.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    barjesus said:
    Vinyl Vinal Edge
    Sound Exchange
    Cactus

• pointman said:
    barjesus said:
    Vinyl Edge
    Sound Exchange
    Cactus

That is pretty much the nucleus of Htown record shops right there.

You can also hit up Sig's Lagoon, which doesn't have a ton of used vinyl but a great selection of reissues if you're looking. Height's Vinyl just opened in the Heights. The consensus so far is it's pretty lackluster but maybe there's something worth buying there by now.

Give me a shout if you need any other pointers.

have you been to heights vinyl yet? their pricing strategy is ridiculous

sometimes i wonder how much longer sound exchange will be around.
    i rarely stop by anymore and when i do i'm the only person in there.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I really miss the days when I was in high school when we'd make the drive up to Westheimer to do the rounds at Infinite, Record Exchange (Sound Exchange, but we always called it Record Exchange back then), Record Rack, etc.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I really miss the days when I was in high school when we'd make the drive up to Westheimer to do the rounds at Infinite, Record Exchange (Sound Exchange, but we always called it Record Exchange back then), Record Rack, etc.

Along with Noo Beat and Sound Plus.

billbradley said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Along with Noo Beat and Sound Plus.

Club-wise, you ever go to Decadance at the Tower Theater? I had this friend back then named Trip (his brother's name was Graham and his sister's name was Sunshine...lol). Anyway, dude was a really good dancer. I remember this one time at Decadance he ended a routine with a backflip and it was hilarious how a dozen random chicks immediately came running up to hug him almost before he even landed back on his feet. Good times were those...

No, I never made it to Decadance or the legendary Club 6400. I listened to the 6400 radio show all the time though. It was awesome.

My friends and I would go to Power Tools, Red Square (for the disco night which kinda sucked), Therapy, and Numbers, then would usually always end up at Club SOME until 5 or 6am.

billbradley said:
    No, I never made it to Decadance or the legendary Club 6400. I listened to the 6400 radio show all the time though. It was awesome.

My friends and I would go to Power Tools, Red Square (for the disco night which kinda sucked), Therapy, and Numbers, then would usually always end up at Club SOME until 5 or 6am.

Our main spot was Netwerk (which afterwards became Sharkdance) because it was closer for us down in South Houston. But Power Tools (first time I went there I wound up stealing a t-shirt that this Hare Krishna band was selling at a merch table out on the back patio, talk about bad karma...remember that fucked-up hallway with the jagged, uneven floor?), Numbers, Lizard Lounge, and Club Xcess. Oh yeah, and then there was Cars down in Galveston. Really, really good times...

• HarveyCanal, I want to send you the message, but it says that your inbox is full, so I can't .