Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
Anyone catch this movie yet? I've seen it twice already. By far one of my favorite movies of the year. I cannot emphasize how messed up this movie is without sharing spoilers.

I read a couple reviews however and people constantly compare the U.S. version to the original Swedish one, usually negativelly. Many compare the actresses that played the main female character Lisbeth, saying that the OG did a much better job. I just watched the original on Netflix however and it doesn't hold a candle to the American one. I think the American version does a much better job capturing the anti-social and dysfucntional behavior of Lisbeth, plus is a whole lot more captivating and conveys a sense of tension, dred, and mystery from beginning to end than the Swedish one.

Comments

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I recently saw the swedish movies and quite liked the first two. It became a little too unbelievable by part three but still decent politico thrillers.
    I find it hard to believe the US version is better - i guess it depends what you saw first. US remakes are usualy dumbed down and candy coated versions of the ogs though - I havent peeped so I cant say.

The actress who played Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish movies - Noomi Rapace - shes in Sherlock Holmes 2 now and won the lead part (?) in Ridley Scotts upcoming prometheus. Which probably deserves its own thread....

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    So is that movie supposed to be a prequel to Alien?

I can honestly say that I think the US version outdoes the OG in every aspect. Lisbeth for example in the Swedish version just acts like a Punk rock girl that doesn't give a fuck. In the US version she's played like a social outcast that you can tell has a dark past.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I had watched the OG awhile back and really enjoyed it. But I thought Fincher's version was really good. It's been awhile since I watched any of the Swedish ones. Did Fincher take a bit from the 2nd movie? I'm pulling from memory here, but the part about Lisbeth seeing Bjurman looking at places on the internet to remove tattoo and telling him not to do that?

When I went to see the US version there were multiple people who brought their little kids. You could see them all become very uncomfortable when the rape scenes came on.

If you like Crime Drama's. Sweden has some great books/tv shows.

Both Rooney Mara and Noomi Rapace were equally great. I can't believe how much different Mara looks in real life. Rooney's sister is also a pretty good actress. Hot also...

It's pretty crazy the sisters family are the founders and owners of both the New York Giants and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Yes, the scene where Lisabeth warns him about looking up tattoo removal sites is from the second Swedish movie The Girl That Played With Fire.

• i don't know anything about this book / movie, but this made me laugh:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I can't wait 'til she grows up:

• the original is better, lisbeth is more hardcore, better ending, better detail of the family history and killings with the flashbacks, more paranoia.

DustedDon said:
    the original is better, lisbeth is more hardcore, better ending, better detail of the family history and killings with the flashbacks, more paranoia.

Would completely disagree with this. In the Swedish version Lisabeth is played as a typical punk rock girl. In The Girl Who Played With Fire her boss said that she treated her friends like shit. Believable. Got into fights? Believable. Tried to burn her father, was declared insane? No way. The American version, her whole body language and interaction with people showed that she was nuts. Completely bought it.

Also the American version I thought was ten times more dark and moody. The scenes with Lisabeth and her social worker abusing her were far superior. The lighting, the shot selection, were all superior in better in setting the tone in those scenes. Watching the Sewdish version of those takes I just thought ok. The American version I felt uncomfortable and felt just how fucked up those situations were.

• It was okay, but the end felt tacked on. And the thing with the leather jacket thing, lame. If they had just stopped before her heist, it would've been a better movie.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Do any of you fools read?
    It is no masterpiece, but the book is 10x better than either of the movies.

• barjesus said:
    It was okay, but the end felt tacked on. And the thing with the leather jacket thing, lame. If they had just stopped before her heist, it would've been a better movie.

yep

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    knewjak said:

Said about 2011's version of The Da Vinci Code. Strong last-minute contender for unintentional comedy of the year.

• knewjak said:
    It is no masterpiece, but the book is 10x better than either of the movies.

No

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    motown67 said:

Nah. At least not accordiing to Ridley Scott.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    i don't know anything about this book / movie, but this made me laugh:

Really disappointed at the lack of "Girl With the Drag-On Tattoo" jpegs.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    motown67 said:

Nah. At least not accordiing to Ridley Scott.

Certainly looks like it!

b/w

I almost cried when I saw the release date!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I really enjoyed the book, but didn't care much for the Swedish version of the movie. Even though the American version sounds like it's better, I probably won't watch it. I'm one of those people who doesn't care much for a movie or book if I already know what happens. I never re-watch movies or re-read books for this reason. I want to want to watch this movie, but need a really compelling reason to do so.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I really enjoyed the book, but didn't care much for the Swedish version of the movie. Even though the American version sounds like it's better, I probably won't watch it. I'm one of those people who doesn't care much for a movie or book if I already know what happens. I never re-watch movies or re-read books for this reason (I thus only own, like, 4 DVDs).

I want to want to watch this movie, but need a really compelling reason to do so.