Horo Jazz A Confronto series (RR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
(i couldn't find a pic of the haynes cover, but the only difference is the name and number anyway)So, I got the Roy Haynes Lp off this label series and it's fi-ya. My question is, what esle is good on this Italian label? Or is Roy's LP the best thing there and nothing else is really worthwhile?

Comments

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Kenny Clarke & Stafford James are excellent.

The Clarke title shades it for the supreme 'Big Bang' cut.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Yeah the Roy Haynes record is real nice, the drums on that joint are hot, and yes Ive also wondered if there's other possible heat containers on this label...?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I know that the Sun Ra and Max Roach stuff on Horo are highly regarded, but I have never heard them personally.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    The Sun Ra/John Gilmore ones (New Steps and Other Voices, Other Blues) are really incredible. The Archie Shepp one is good.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

whoa.

HDP 19-20 Sun Ra Arkestra Unity

anyone know how is this is?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

whoa.

Lovely and expensive.

If anybody has either of the sun-ras on horo let me know. Been looking for a while. Got a certain cache due to playlisting by one g!l*s p&t@rs0n. aka that guy who gets people to pay $350 for black fairy. That's a lot of power my friends.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

whoa.

Lovely and expensive.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    If anybody has either of the sun-ras on horo let me know. Been looking for a while. Got a certain cache due to playlisting by one g!l*s p&t@rs0n. aka that guy who gets people to pay $350 for black fairy. That's a lot of power my friends.

....who I'm sure played the track from the Jazzman re-issue 45.

• chrischris 287 Posts

....who I'm sure played the track from the Jazzman re-issue 45.

i thought the whole reason jazzman reissued it was because it was already a sought-after gilles spin???

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    i thought the whole reason jazzman reissued it was because it was already a sought-after gilles spin???

H*Y*P*E ??

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    >>> http://hororecords.blogspot.com/

listening to the Enrico Rava one atm. massive so far
    track #2 on the Stafford James one is a beauty. was less moved by the rest
    oh and thanks for the black fairy discovery. I didn't know about that one

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sun Ra collectors first put me on to this many years ago.
    I think there are also Horo Greek pressings.

Most of what I have had were euro jazz.

• A lot of the Horo stuff is a bit too free/avant-garde for me, but there's some good stuff on the label. I recently got the kenny clarke and it's probably my favorite on the label. I also have two irio de paula albums that have some good brazilian tracks. I'm looking for the roy haynes one, as guadalupe is a killer track. Some others I need are the slide hampton/dusko goykovich and the basso/valdambrini and sun-ra records. I've had a handful of horo albums in the past that I sold again, such as the dannie richmond, don pullen, archie shepp, paris jazz quartet etc because they were too free. I figure a good way to start would be the deja vu compilation that was released earlier this year.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Found both the Stafford James and Roy Haynes sealed and cheap this year.
    Been so busy for months, I haven't even gotten around to giving them a proper listen yet :(

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    listen to them all here

http://hororecords.blogspot.com/

"side a side b"