Common Vs Drake (Rapp Battles in General)

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
yeah, yeah -- i know this is all hype, blahblah bal. but whats interesting to me is how mainstream rap has changed. drake won't respond to common because he doesn't have to respond. LL responded to canibus because he had to. the younger generation doesn't give a fuk about a common so drake doesn't have to worry about common pulling a bitch in yoo or producing a photo of drake in a tutu, because, well, all photos of drake seem like he's in a tutu. its interesting to me that battling matters less and less in mainstream rap

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    drake doesnt need to respond because none of his fanbase even knows common exists

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I ride for Common and his knit hats. Y'all probably don't want to hear this, but his new album is very good. "Lovin I Lost" may be the track of the year for me.

Anyway, dude put out 3 certifiable classic rap singles - I Used To Love H.E.R., Communism and Resurrection. You can also throw The Light and Go in the mix too. On the strength of those songs, he puts Drizzly Drake to shame.

I like him as a rapper, but still dont understand how dude gets acting roles.

• Where's the Drake dis? The part where he says he sings like Sinatra?

The beat on this is dope, but the whole thing just reeks of "Don't write me off yet! Not completely!"

• TheKindCromang said:
    Where's the Drake dis? The part where he says he sings like Sinatra?

• That's the dis?

I'd be stoked if someone told me I sing like Sinatra

• yeah I don't get it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    phongone said:
    Anyway, dude put out 3 certifiable classic rap singles - I Used To Love H.E.R., Communism and Resurrection. You can also throw The Light and Go, The Bitch In Yoo,Geto Heaven, The 6Th Sense, Come Close and One Nine Nine,in the mix too..

O the real, i think its a waste of time callin out Drake at this point. But its good to hear Common get angry.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    That's the dis?

I'd be stoked if someone told me I sing like Sinatra

He doesn't call out Drake out by name, just disses "Singin' ass rappers" in general, or something like that. Calls singer-rappers soft and "sweet" (as in gay). Obvious 50 Cent-type diss move on a soft target to get attention, but curios to see if Aubrey responds.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I'm really feelin this one! Overall, great song.

Name a great MC that never had to battle or address a competitor?

• batmon said:

who you calling great

rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

who you calling great

answer my question and ill answer yours

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    batmon said:

I would honestly say none. If you a great emcee it's only right that dudes are gonna come after you. That's Hip-Hop in a nut shell.

• batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

who you calling great

answer my question and ill answer yours

nah my point is sure most great MCs have had challengers.

but what does Drake have to do with great MCs?

• epic voice cracking in the monologue at the end. i was unconvinced.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Seems forced to me. Not on some UMC's "Unleashed" level, more like "I'm old and I'm angry - enjoy these mediocre punchline raps".

phongone said:

He doesn't call out Drake out by name, just disses "Singin' ass rappers" in general, or something like that.

I saw a video earlier today of him on Sway's radio show coming out directly and saying it was about drake. This is all just hype to promote his album. Or maybe he's just jealous of forehead tattoos.

• It's pretty rich seeing Common call another rapper soft....

...then again if it's Common calling YOU soft, lord help you.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Not battling/beefing is what makes Drake Drake--what makes him not just another rapper. He's different. He's like Siddhartha before leaving the palace.

Reynaldo said:
    Not battling/beefing is what makes Drake Drake--what makes him not just another rapper. He's different. He's like Siddhartha before leaving the palace.

yup

• batmon said:

Rakim.

badder_than_evil said:
    batmon said:

Rakim.

Wrong

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    batmon said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    batmon said:

Rakim.

Wrong

KANE and RA had their little back and forths for years.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    haze25 said:
    batmon said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    batmon said:

Rakim.

Wrong

You beat me to it. They even had dis tracks, apparently, that just never seen the light of day.

• Breez said:
    haze25 said:
    batmon said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    batmon said:

Rakim.

Wrong

You beat me to it. They even had dis tracks, apparently, that just never seen the light of day.

Break the Wrath In Half was one I heard about

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    batmon said:

I don't remember Kool G Rap getting dissed or having to diss anyone. Did he?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:
    phongone said:
    Anyway, dude put out 3 certifiable classic rap singles - I Used To Love H.E.R., Communism and Resurrection. You can also throw The Light and Go, The Bitch In Yoo,Geto Heaven, The 6Th Sense, Come Close and One Nine Nine,in the mix too..

The People

Scott said:
    batmon said:

I don't remember Kool G Rap getting dissed or having to diss anyone. Did he?

I dont recall any G Rap adversity but Raw Part Two is him sparring against Kane. That's documented competition.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Just when you think Common couldn't get more embarrassing...

I think I was reading on Grantland or something (not sure if that makes me a nerd or a jock or just misguided) but they were speculating that Drake was pokin' out Serena Williams or something and Common was hurt about that. I can't make myself listen to Common's music anymore, though I did enjoy Caramanica's article today, which included this quip:

In a coincidence of scheduling on Monday night, Common performed at the Highline Ballroom and Mr. Lamar at S.O.B.???s, showing the contrast between being socially minded then and now. There???s an ease to Common???s presence that???s inclusionary; his vision is earnest and open. ???I???m to hip-hop what Obama is to politics,??? Common raps on his new album ??? groan. Righteousness is not its own aesthetic reward.

:NO:

Meanwhile, the Drake album has been growing on me these past few weeks. I still really struggle with the wraps, but beats and Drake's R&B-like choruses I do enjoy. And speaking of Toronto, did anyone take a sip of the new The Weeknd?

• YOLO

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And in the super heather weight division, we've got knit in the beige corner versus felt in the color-blind corner...ding ding.