Done with this shit

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
Deejaying for people who don't know what to do with a deejay at their party.

Like it's just a novelty to them. Granted, their money is nice. But why insist on me playing dance music if you have no intention of dancing...ever?

Just turn on your tv and watch commercials if you want to hear Biz Markie's Just a Friend.

I guess it's fine for you to plug your iPod into my mixer so you can play a song that one of the hosts is going to karaoke to, but don't have me stop what I'm doing until you've got that shit all cued up and ready to go like NOW.

Did a party the other night that just about sucked all the fun out of being a deejay. NEVER AGAIN!

Comments

• You're really making me miss the game.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    You're really making me miss the game.

Well, thankfully I also do parties where people dance their asses completely off, so it's bad for the lames that there is something good to contrast their boring against.

Will you play some Prince? Well, I already did just a little while ago (When You Were Mine). But do you have Rasberry Beret? No, I only brought one Prince album...but I'll go ahead and play something else off of that (Head).

Mere minutes later...will you play some Prince?

• Holiday parties aren't the right type of gigs to be trying to turn people onto obscure Texas rapp. Play the silly shit, take the money and go buy new obscure Texas rapp, or pass the gig onto a fellow DJ who could use the money. Lord knows there are many this time of year.

Herm said:
    Holiday parties aren't the right type of gigs to be trying to turn people onto obscure Texas rapp. Play the silly shit, take the money and go buy new obscure Texas rapp, or pass the gig onto a fellow DJ who could use the money. Lord knows there are many this time of year.

You just swung and missed, Herm. I didn't play any Texas rap. I played a bunch of classic dance/pop shit. People swore left and right how much they enjoyed the music (and this was the 3rd year in a row I've been hired to deejay this same party). But their listless bodies said otherwise.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    some groups of people just don't dance, it's sad.

• 3 Words : Ecstacy-laced Egg Nog

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    3 Words : Ecstacy-laced Egg Nog

Yeah, that's four words. And dairy and E does not a good mix make, especially if there's any type of calisthenics involved.

• holmes said:
    some groups of people just don't dance, it's sad.

Yup.

I just DJ'ed a corporate gig for software engineers. Average age range was early 40's to 50's. Approximately 200 people in attendance. No more than 7 people danced the entire night. Easy money, but booooooring.

Also, this exchange happened:

Older bow-tied gentleman: I need you to make a dedication for me. Do you have any goodbye songs?
    Me: Sure do.
    Him: Okay, dedicate it to so-and-so. He's this asshole that I just fired.
    Me: Ummm... Won't that offend people?
    Him: And? Who do you think's paying for this? I'm the boss!
    Me: Ummm...
    Him: Give me the mic, I'll do it.

All I did was play Bill Haley & The Comets' "See You Later Alligator" (not sure why but that was one of the first songs that came to mind. For my troubles, dude gave me a $100 tip.

(Fired dude was not at the party. Apparently he had been fired sometime prior due to him getting drunk at throwing up on the bosses' shoes at a party.)

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    Herm said:

(Fired dude was not at the party. Apparently he had been fired sometime prior due to him getting drunk at throwing up on the bosses' shoes at a party.)

Dang, that's harsh.

Memo to self - drink less at the office parties.

• These days I really only accept private gigs via requests through the radio station or at club gigs...that way I can simply say,"you know I will play the same type of music you hear on my radio show (or what I am playing tonight at the club) I don't play any other type." I have eliminated nearly all of the bullshit I used to have to endure.

I don't mind playing a variety of different types of deejay sets. In fact, I enjoy it. Just know what to do when you get what you ask for. Otherwise, I'm snoozing on top of your snoozing.

b/w

Cokeheads evidently sans coke.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Phife Dawg said:
    I never let a statue tell me how nice I am.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    These days I really only accept private gigs via requests through the radio station or at club gigs...that way I can simply say,"you know I will play the same type of music you hear on my radio show (or what I am playing tonight at the club) I don't play any other type." I have eliminated nearly all of the bullshit I used to have to endure.

Even this doesn't always work.
    In this situation the person who hires you knows the deal,
    but the guests are an entirely different animal.

• Your sets sound cool. I would be having a blast to anything off of Dirty Mind.

• cpeetz said:

In this situation the person who hires you knows the deal,
    but the guests are an entirely different animal.

I had a bride offer to write a note to put by my setup saying "no line dance songs per me" before.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Herm said:
    bow-tied gentleman

It wouldn't be looking good for him right there. No surprise he was a 24-carat cnut.

Fired for throwing up on the bosses shoes is like, well harsh. Just shows you've had a proper night out.

Don't be throwing up on my shoes doe.