Options

Christopher Hitchens, RIP

edited December 2011 in Strut Central
The George Orwell of our time.

He'll be missed.

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Brilliant man. Loved his style and wit but overall his clarity and economy of words:

"WHAT CAN BE ASSERTED WITHOUT PROOF CAN BE DISMISSED WITHOUT PROOF."

He never hid behind intellectual obfuscation. He knew he was right and didn't need to embellish it. Made you trust in his sincerity even if like me you didn't always agree with his sometimes strident opinions.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I completely agree with his view that religion is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry".

Never a truer word.
    RIP.

• Hmmm.... It's funny that someone would join Soul Strut just to post this - I wonder who it could be?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Hmmm.... It's funny that someone would join Soul Strut just to post this - I wonder who it could be?

God I didn't even notice - too taken aback by the headline. At least FrankieDesperado has sneaked back in with a noble post.

Some of his best quotes here (Hitchens that is)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/dec/16/christopher-hitchens-quotes-bons-mots

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    So is this thread going to disappear when Raj sees it? Cause maybe we should save our thoughts for one with more staying power. I know Hitchens, but not as well as I'd like, and I'd love to see some links to what his fans think are the greatest hits..

Anyway, RIP.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    May god rest his soul.

• tabira said:
    Horseleech said:
    Hmmm.... It's funny that someone would join Soul Strut just to post this - I wonder who it could be?

God I didn't even notice

Somebody is turning in their grave right now.

;-)

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    tabira said:
    Horseleech said:

God I didn't even notice

Somebody is turning in their grave right now.

;-)

ha, sorry Chris(t)

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    My god rest his soul.

I see what you did there.

RIP Mr. Hitchens.

• GoldenCupsRule said:
    The George Orwell of our time.

lol

b/w

GTFOHWTBS

b/w

RIP Hitchens; I enjoyed his stuff.

• i didn't agree with many of his positions (eg. the iraq war) but i always found his writing and persona engaging, wry and principled.

interesting side-note: he was reputedly the basis of the journalist character in tom wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities.

• I always enjoyed his interviews with Brian Lamb for C-SPAN.
    His ever-present whiskey never seemed to slow his mind.