Record Day 2011

Comments

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Larry McHugh - Son of David
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=704HDGKF

.AIFFs of turboraer Xian Psych/Folk courtesy of Philadelphia's own, Tripledouble

Highly recommended!

In the tradition of record day, heres a bit of a backstory from Larry:

"There were only 1000 pressed. The story goes like this: I found a great drummer and keyboardist, and we began to rehearse the album; I switched to bass and lead vocals (instead of guitar), as the arrangements became more and more progressive. Soon it began to sound like Emerson, Lake & Palmer! So much so that we went into a large Christian recording studio called "The King's Place", and cut two of the songs there. Of course the fidelity was so much better, it was an amazing difference. We shopped it to Word Records, and were almost signed. They had a board meeting to decide between two acts: us or "Degarmo & Key". Well, we didn't get the deal, but Degarmo & Key were a great act for many years needless to say. In the end, Word thought we sounded too progressive and thought it would be a risk commercially. "

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    LOL @ Degarmo & Key. The good old days sucked as well clearly! Used to find their stuff and think potential Xian Yacht groovers. Nope!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I've got two more posts worth of stuff to put up, but only if we get a lot more folks involved in this than there are.

Or is this true?

Possum Tom said:
    soulstrut's a WRAP!

• SportCasual said:

Oh man...what is this?! it's great!

OK, here are a few new arrivals from Brazil that I've been enjoying recently, click the images for the D/L:

• HOLLAFAME said:
    Cool, so just me, Possum and Musica?

hey! i'm a proxy on the son of david post. delay is my tech roadie

for real tho, let me take a stab at ripping something for the first time ever

• i cant even figure out how to open the software for the stupid recording interface. passwords and liscence codes and emails to and fro. shit is bullshit. can i just mail in a mixtape on 90 minute cassette?

• gonna rip some kanadian krap in a bit, looking forward to checking the stuff posted.

edit: my mixer is messed up, sorry soulstrut..

• Well, I haven't posted here in a while as I'm usually lurkin' around. But I'd like to contribute again - figured Record Day would be a good opportunity to share as I've taken so much from Soulstrut in the past (thanks for the heads up, Musica). Got a couple 7"s I'd like to share, all ripped at 320 kbps.

One of my favorite Erkin 45s. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better Land of 1,000 Dances cover, 'cept Watts Little Angel Band maybe. The flip (Seni Her G??rd??????mde) is a fantastic prog-psych burner! Totally infatuated with the cover sleeve/label.

Photobucket

Erkin Koray - Sana Bir Seyler Olmus (Land of 1000 Dances) by alexlarotta

Erkin Koray - Seni Her G??rd??????mde by alexlarotta

Arguably my favorite dollar bin find of 2011. For the drum heads. Don't sleep on Pt. 2!

Photobucket

Emanuel Taylor feat. R.A.D.S - It Ain't Right (Pt. 1) by alexlarotta

Emanuel Taylor feat. R.A.D.S - It Ain't Right (Pt. 2) by alexlarotta

Thanks to everyone else who posted today! Looking forward to 'em.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

Here's my collection of Hoctor Funk 45's.

Not a mega high quality rip or anything, but good enough for your listening pleasure.

MEGAUPLOAD ZIP FILE 29 MB

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Here is my little contribution. Unknown local private press from where I live, no info on the group. Ca. late 70's, early 80's funky Boogie joint for your listening pleasure...

http://www.divshare.com/download/8174034-504

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• Some prime Zairean rumba for you

Y Ntesa Dalienst - Dorothy

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    staxwax said:

Not a mega high quality rip or anything, but good enough for your listening pleasure.

Link not available

also... that many songs adding up to 29mb is bound to sound like they were recorded through tinfoil

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

house records on record day?

i give up man, this shit is over

• Possum Tom said:

All of the records have been found, time for a new hobby. Woodworking strut?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

It seems safe to say that at least part of the unfortunate but deserved decline of Record Day can be attributed to 1) dudes cracking on other dudes' tastes and 2) dudes playing schoolmarm regarding file type/quality.

Loosen up the velvet rope, maybe, huh?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    james said:
    Possum Tom said:

It seems safe to say that at least part of the unfortunate but deserved decline of Record Day can be attributed to 1) dudes cracking on other dudes' tastes and 2) dudes playing schoolmarm regarding file type/quality.

i can't recall any contributions you've made other than your opinions, but i guess that takes a lot less effort. i and others who have been communicating via private message are incensed by people's unwillingness to contribute... you think that is what makes people shy away? i have a lot more to share, but this is a quid pro quo situation.

• i'm not really caring one way or another, but just to put it out there: thoughtful posting takes at least if not more effort than ripping records.

for me, "record day" would be a success if i heard one or two songs i liked and hadn't heard before, regardless of bitrate or genre. i liked the intro to that house mix dude above put up, for example.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    james said:
    Possum Tom said:

i can't recall any contributions you've made other than your opinions, but i guess that takes a lot less effort. i and others who have been communicating via private message are incensed by people's unwillingness to contribute... you think that is what makes people shy away? i have a lot more to share, but this is a quid pro quo situation.
    Your sense of entitlement is remarkable, as is your tone-deafness concerning the kind of place this used to be and/or ought to be. You and your PM pals will get exactly the Record Day you deserve.

And as far as who has put more effort into this site, that's not really a conversation you want to have, dude. Trust me.

But hey, best of luck with your thread here. I hope I'm wrong, and would love nothing better than to see Record Day flourish again. Please tell the others I said so.

• here is a song from a very cool album from thailand. happy record day

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I can't poast anything because I'm on the road but probably wouldn't even if I'd be home because I don't agree with the bitrate requirements. Sharing music is one thing but I'm not in the business of providing laptop-jockeys with serato-fodder.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    staxwax said:

Link not available

also... that many songs adding up to 29mb is bound to sound like they were recorded through tinfoil

Its a zip file - its bigger if you unzip it
    try this link

http://www.4shared.com/file/eGHyFX4i/Hoctor_Funk.html

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

house records on record day?

I was trying to show some willing. Didn't get the chance to rip anything last night, that was all I had on my laptop.
    Am in the process of ripping some dub 45s and an LP, a soul 45, and fuck it, I'm going to put up an early and rare Jungle record by Photek under his System X alias.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I straight-up don't have ripping capability. I'm more than happy to share mixed bitrate copies of music from other sources, contribute pithy remarks, and argue about who contributes more to Soulstrut, though.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Yikes this thread got ugly quick.

DB_Cooper said:
    I straight-up don't have ripping capability. I'm more than happy to share mixed bitrate copies of music from other sources, contribute pithy remarks, and argue about who contributes more to Soulstrut, though.

At this point I'd just like to see people post their favorite music they found this year. Instead of talking about music, we're talking shit.

Props to everyone who posted a rip in this thread, especially the homie LAZOLA!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    props to musica for amping up people via pm and everyone contributing thus far
    my ripping needle got fucked a while back and i am in the midst of a week long team business training thing so i could not contribute this year...however i hope thia traditiob stays alive

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    james said:
    Possum Tom said:
    james said:
    Possum Tom said:

Your sense of entitlement is remarkable, as is your tone-deafness concerning the kind of place this used to be and/or ought to be. You and your PM pals will get exactly the Record Day you deserve.

And as far as who has put more effort into this site, that's not really a conversation you want to have, dude. Trust me.

But hey, best of luck with your thread here. I hope I'm wrong, and would love nothing better than to see Record Day flourish again. Please tell the others
    James,

I think you are actually one of soulstruts most valuable contributors. Whenever your name pops up on a thread, I always read, and for the most part, think you provide a valuable insight and opinion on most subjects. I do not however recall any significant contribution to "record day" though I may be mistaken. If my response seems entitled or snarky, it was just falling in line with your velvet rope comment. Hope that settles that.

Rape donkeys,

Hi simon! I chilled with Vito the other day and you came up briefly. Hope you're well. I have to disagree about the effort it takes to post up high quality rips. In shear time alone it's not even close.

Frank,
    I would hope you'd be willing to contribute. You have some amazing stuff that I'm sure people would love to hear. I'm not sure any serato djs are chomping at the bit to get rare african music. My desire to have high quality files is for archival purposes. One day, we'll all be happy we saved files at a higher quality. Space and bandwidth will only get cheaper.

I am in no position to put any requirements on "record day". I really just want it to live up to older ones and even surpass them. It's 2012.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Frank,
    I would hope you'd be willing to contribute. You have some amazing stuff that I'm sure people would love to hear. I'm not sure any serato djs are chomping at the bit to get rare african music. My desire to have high quality files is for archival purposes. One day, we'll all be happy we saved files at a higher quality. Space and bandwidth will only get cheaper.

The really hot and really rare stuff is all material that at some point might be considered for re-issue and I just wouldn't want to have hi-res files out there before that... I probably would have found a nice record to poast though but as I'm said, I can't do anything from where I'm at right now or for the next month or so. I thought Maru was going to put up a serious piece though...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Frank,

The really hot and really rare stuff is all material that at some point might be considered for re-issue and I just wouldn't want to have hi-res files out there before that... I probably would have found a nice record to poast though but as I'm said, I can't do anything from where I'm at right now or for the next month or so. I thought Maru was going to put up a serious piece though...