Newt (Warning Politics)

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
Newt is today's front runner for the GOP presidential nomination.

Dude is no worse, and no better, than Bauchman, Caine, Trump and the other past and future front runners.

He is in the hot seat right now for saying that kids, poor kids, should work as janitors in their schools.
I am still searching for the exact original quote, but here is one of his clarifications:
As for his comments, made at an appearance at Harvard???s Kennedy School a few weeks back, on having young children serve as janitors, Gingrich tried to clarify them.

Gingrich said, ???Take some of those kids who are in danger of dropping out. What if they were the assistant clerk in the front office? What if they helped in the kitchen????

He went on later, ???I do not suggest children until about 14 or 15 years of age do heavy, dangerous janitorial work???On the other hand, there are a number of things done to clean buildings that are not heavy or dangerous.???

Here is the thing, I kinda agree with him.
We have made it very difficult for teens to get jobs. I think the government (schools) providing teens with jobs would be a good thing.

I also think that children should (and I am guessing most do) take part in cleaning their classrooms and schools.
I'm not talking waxing the floors here, I mean at the end of the day putting the chairs on the desks and running a dust mop around the floors, taking trash and recycling out. I think many schools already do this. It gives kids some ownership and helps with respect and responsibility.

As for actually working as a part time assisting in the office, cafeteria, grounds or janitor. Yeah, let them work. Pay them. Give them the responsibility and experience and money of doing a job. Only problem is there are not enough jobs in the schools.

What you think?

Feel free to say any thing else about Newt here. I am sure he will be saying outrageous things daily and his past is a treasure trove comedy gold.

Comments

• The fact that he dumped wife #1 when she was hospitalized for cancer, and dumped wife #2 when she was diagnosed with MS says it all for me.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    How have we made it difficult for teens to get jobs? Granted, it's been many years since I was a teen, however I am unaware of any major obstacles that prevent teens from being employed. For the record, I don't consider a government set limit on the number of hours that a teen may work in a week to be an impediment.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    How have we made it difficult for teens to get jobs? Granted, it's been many years since I was a teen, however I am unaware of any major obstacles that prevent teens from being employed.

Agreed. It may be easier for teens to find employment than middle aged & older folks in many cases.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's not so much that he thinks kids should be able to work, it's that he thinks they should work at their school, as like janitors. What image-conscious teen would volunteer to clean toilets at their high school? It just struck me as unbelievably tone deaf for a guy who is likely a millionaire. I am perfectly fine with that being a job that pays relatively decently for a trades-type person. I got a work permit as a 15-year-old and got a job dressing up as a giant chipmunk at a small themepark. I had a female assistant and we took turns walking around in the costume, getting ready and spending downtime together in our private dressing room. That was an ideal job while I was still in high school.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The Republican conservative base is lost and unsuccessfully looking for a leader. That's why they've jumped from person to person. Newt has some good ideas, but it doesn't really matter because he seems to stray from topic to topic saying whatever comes off the top of his head. He could very well rise and fall like everyone else has from the Reps so far.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Its also pretty insulting (and racist, of course) when he infers explicitly states that children from poor families don't have any role models when it comes to working for a living. What an asshole.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    button said:
    Its also pretty insulting (and racist, of course) when he infers explicitly states, that children from poor families don't have any role models when it comes to working for a living. What an asshole.

Come on, be fair. He did allow that they can have a work ethic if it's for doing something illegal:

???Really poor children in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works, so they have no habit of showing up on Monday. They have no habit of staying all day, they have no habit of I do this and you give me cash unless it is illegal."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    How does getting students to clean and do general labour - jobs that have no shame to them, but generally speaking, have no future - help engage them? Students don't need to stack chairs or clean the mac and cheese tray to understand their own value and the value of an education. They need better schools and support systems that understand and address why they are dropping out.
    I spend three nights a week with low-income family highschool students from areas known for high drop-out rates. This idea makes me livid.

Pathways to Education

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    button said:
    Its also pretty insulting (and racist, of course) when he infers explicitly states, that children from poor families don't have any role models when it comes to working for a living. What an asshole.

Come on, be fair. He did allow that they can have a work ethic if it's for doing something illegal:

???Really poor children in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works, so they have no habit of showing up on Monday. They have no habit of staying all day, they have no habit of I do this and you give me cash unless it is illegal."

Is this a real quote?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Here is one of the videos of him talking about child labor.

Couple of things. It's seems like he's making the argument for kids getting jobs under 14 no? The FLSA has it set at 14 as the minimum age for employment.

Also, what he's kinda saying IMO. Is poor kids should get an early start on being janitors...

But I also like ""Most of these schools ought to get rid of the unionized janitors"

bassie said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    button said:

Is this a real quote?

Tragically, it is.

DOR said:

But I also like ""Most of these schools ought to get rid of the unionized janitors"

That's the only part that a lot of Newt's audience is going to hear. They're always up for some union-bashing, so it's certainly not by accident that Newt includes it here.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DOR said:
    Here is one of the videos of him talking about child labor.

Couple of things. It's seems like he's making the argument for kids getting jobs under 14 no? The FLSA has it set at 14 as the minimum age for employment.

Also, what he's kinda saying IMO. Is poor kids should get an early start on being janitors...

That's the original quote I was looking for. Thanks.
    What an asshole.

Let me say that I think the Newt quotes are disgusting.
    I am not endorsing his ideas.

I do think that work is important, and young people should work. I did.

Plantweed - Yep. But the comedy comes in his explanation. He cheated on and dumped his wives because of his love of country.

Bon V - Where do you live?
    I agree, work hour rules are fair.

White T, Motown, Button - I agree.

Bassie - I am not sure what you mean by engage, but any job helps them learn job skills.
    Keeping a schedule, following instructions, doing work.
    There is a satisfaction that comes from doing physical labor. From seeing a dirty pan become a clean pan.
    I agree with you about what children need and PtE sounds like a great program.

Thanks for all the links folks. I read them all.

Let me put in a plug for your janitor. Being a janitor is not a shameful and disgusting job. It is an integral and important part of keeping any building running. It includes maintaining the heating and cooling systems and many other tasks that are central to keeping the building functioning. In schools janitors often know and watch out for the children.

I was working in PPS when they fired all their union janitors and hired a contractor to supply minimum wage janitors. It was of course a disaster. The turn over rate was sky high, the quality of work was low, basic maintenance was not done and the buildings, teachers and students all suffered. Of course the savings were never realized as the union, after many years of lawsuits, won their case against the district who had to pay out millions in damages.

I'm currently living in Spokane, Washington...

But, I grew up in the DC Metro Area. I'm not saying there aren't obstacles for teens to get jobs, I just simply don't know what they are and if they are institutionalized or not.

Bon Vivant said:

But, I grew up in the DC Metro Area. I'm not saying there aren't obstacles for teens to get jobs, I just simply don't know what they are and if they are institutionalized or not.

Cool.
    I am in Portland OR, and my sister is in Spokane. I will be there in February. Maybe we can meet up.

I grew up in Bethesda Chevy Chase, went CCE, Leland Jr High, and Walter Johnson HS (First school in the nation named after a baseball player).

I'm going to go see The Guard now, but I will get back to you with some obstacles.

One for now that we can agree upon, 9% unemployment.

LaserWolf said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Cool.
    I am in Portland OR, and my sister is in Spokane. I will be there in February. Maybe we can meet up.

I grew up in Bethesda Chevy Chase, went CCE, Leland Jr High, and Walter Johnson HS (First school in the nation named after a baseball player).

I'm going to go see The Guard now, but I will get back to you with some obstacles.

One for now that we can agree upon, 9% unemployment.

Cool, hit me up. 9% is one we defo can agree on.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Current teen unemployment rate is about 2-3 times the national average.

Newt is a pig, who's ethics make even normal politicians squirm. He would say or do anything to get elected or make a buck. He's just that guy.

I wonder if he's old buddies back in congress are going to support him. Boehner tried to oust him in a coup in the 90s. I gotta believe that his egomania didn't sit that well with lots of his colleagues. The house voted something like 395-28 in favor of punishing him for his ethics lapse(s). He was speaker at the time.

I love his candidacy. It speaks volumes that MItt can't rout this guy. We could be in for a long ride if Newt wins S Carolina and Fla.

DrWu said:
    Current teen unemployment rate is about 2-3 times the national average. .

TBH, I don't have an issue with this. Adults need to work before kids, IMO.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The next 10 months on SS are gonna be a blast

b/w

Nice guy idiot poasters > Mean guy idiot poasters

Bon Vivant said:
    DrWu said:
    Current teen unemployment rate is about 2-3 times the national average. .

TBH, I don't have an issue with this. Adults need to work before kids, IMO.

Let me clarify this so I don't come off as such a prickish Scrooge: It stinks that the teen unemployment rate is this high, but IMO, the adult unemployment rate takes precedence.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Has anybody checked out those "books" Newt "wrote"? I read some samples on Amazon and this guy's a certified nutcase of the highest order. This whole gang of candidates is a circus of absurdities... I mean who outside of some mentally challenged teabaggers could take any of these figures only halfway serious? You could almost suspect they want Obama to win a second term.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Actually the Tea Party doesn't take any of them serious which is why they keepon skipping from candidate to candidate. It's literally whatever is the flavor of the month.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Visit msnbc.com for #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news, #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news, and #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    button said:

Visit msnbc.com for #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news, #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news, and #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy

Thanks for this.....I just switched all my investments over to Charles Schwab.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    It stinks that the teen unemployment rate is this high, but I thought this thread was going to be about Newt's laughable statement that the Palestinians are an invention (of the West?)

Bon Vivant said:
    How have we made it difficult for teens to get jobs? Granted, it's been many years since I was a teen, however I am unaware of any major obstacles that prevent teens from being employed. For the record, I don't consider a government set limit on the number of hours that a teen may work in a week to be an impediment.

What I don't agree with is, taking jobs from other people, forced labor, sub minimum wage labor, lifting child labor laws.

What I do agree with is work opportunity for kids.

The paper route was for many their first job. I had a route briefly while in elementary school.
    For numerous reasons, kids no longer do paper routes. I don't know but I am guessing that labor laws make it difficult to hire an 8 year old as a private contractor and pay them sub minimum wage. Also having children go out by themselves before the sun comes up with no supervision is no longer considered responsible.

Another major first employer was fast food restaurants. Perhaps in some states it still is. In some states restaurant workers don't get minimum wage, or only get federal minimum wage. In OR and WA they get $9+ an hour. For that kind of money, in this economy, FFR can hire experienced adults who will stay on the job longer than an inexperienced 15-17yo.

I first started working for money in the 3rd grade. I shoveled walks, mowed lawns and raked leaves. I do not know why but I never see kids doing this kind of work any more. On my well to do block growing up one family had a gardener, everyone else did their own landscaping, or paid kids like me. During the boom a few years ago, in my downscale working class neighborhood, many people had landscaping services mowing their lawn. Are there labor laws or insurance concerns that keep kids from raking leaves? If there are they should be addressed.

Another typical first job that lots of kids had when I was in HS was the gas station. At that time there was no self service and the attendant checked your oil and washed your windows. Those days are gone, long gone. Nothing I know of has replaced this kind of work.

People my age, who grew up here in Portland OR, spent 2 weeks in the spring picking strawberries instead of going to school. City schools closed, rich and poor kids, were loaded each morning on school buses and taken to the berry fields. I think we can agree that nothing like that is ever coming back.

These changes, which as I said, make it difficult for teens to get jobs, often means that a kid graduating high school today has never had a paying job. No paper route, no mowing lawns, no gas station, no FFR. Nothing to tell an employer that they have worked. They have shown up and gotten the job done and been paid for it.

This effects rich kids and poor kids both. They enter adulthood with out basic job skills.

I am in 100% support of a Youth Works Progress Administration. A CETA (Americorps) for school kids.

Remove the "poor kids and union workers aint no good" part from Newt's proposal and that is what he is talking about.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    PRE-TEENS: GET THAT MONEY

I had candy that needed buying.