Christmas emergency! (What to get pops-r)

minneapminneap 541 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
Just starting my Christmas shopping, My sisters both, independently and seriously, asked for socks. Apparently Nike and SmartWool make socks worth asking for? I've already picked up the records/books my good friends will be interested in. However, my dad has me drawing a blank again this year. Last year I got him something to practice his short game:

This year I want to get him something that's not a joke.

What's the Strut getting pops this year?

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I bought SmartWool socks from the REI outlet online after receiving suggestions from ski/boarder friends. My hands and feet get horribly, uncomfortably, icy cold and wool socks do help a little. I would say thick wool hiking socks are just as good as the SmartWool, which is about $20 a pair. Merino wool may be nice, but the fibers wear down quickly if you wear it around the house, so keep that in mind before you fork over money for a brand name pair. I try to reserve my best socks for sleeping. If your sisters are anything like me, keeping your feet warm is huge challenge during the winter months (and I live in CA). I have refused to attend events that would have required me to wear sandals/heels in the past due to my cold feet. Even as I type, my feet are freezing in my Dahlgren hiking socks which are among my favorites. And no, it isn't a circulation problem as everyone suggests.

Moral of the story: socks are an excellent gift and one cannot have too many.

As for dads, a gift certificate to OSH? My dad is pretty easy to shop for since he doesn't like novelty items. Rather, a new set of undershirts to replace a few pit-stained ones from last year, or a Kirkland Signature belt, would totally do the trick. BBQ tools and flower pots are great dad gifts, as well. No one has figured out my mom yet. No one can bargain shop better than her, so in her opinion, any purchase of mine is a frivolous rip-off. So I make/draw/sew her shit instead, even though it winds up underneath a pile of mail or something.