Portland record clerks put on blast

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    No denying he is ass hurt.
    For good reason no doubt.

I don't know the MR clerk in question but, if he can't handle "insufferable hipsters" he should keep away from Mississippi Ave.

The record store on Belmont he refers to is Sonic Recollections, not Hall of Records.

"I hate to use this comparison, but it's like High Fidelity, but not even sort of funny, like the movie."
    That is because they got record store clerks exactly right. The only reason that High Fidelity is funny is because they are not clowning you.
    And because they are pathetic.
    That is what he needs to remember. There is no one more pathetic than a record store clerk, and that is why they go out of their way to clown customers. It makes their pathetic lives seem better.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In one fell swoop he reinforces popular stereotypes of people from Portland & Vancouver.

b/w

There's nothing more insufferable than someone who "can't tell people off" IRL but can rip them a new asshole from the safety of his keyboard.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The more salient question here is "why is Oliver hanging out on the Vice website?" College profs on blast.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

There's nothing more insufferable than someone who "can't tell people off" IRL but can rip them a new asshole from the safety of his keyboard.

Yes.

And I would guess this of most Vice writers.

• Exactly, the kid that wrote this is a total pussy. If you feel like someone is disrespecting you, clown them on the spot. Don't run home to your internet connection.

• I'm guessing that in real life this guy is really annoying, his story sucked, and he deserved to get snubbed.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    that reads like the writer wishes he was a clerk at Mississippi.

• holmes said:

ps. he probably wears a VICE lanyard whenever he leaves the house.

• Funny, I heard they dont know anything about records at Mississippi Records. as evidenced by my friend's texts as he shopped there...
    "dude, these guys are idiots, OG Pretty Things pic sleeve 7" EPs for 10 bucks..woo hoo!"

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Funny, I heard they dont know anything about records at Mississippi Records. as evidenced by my friend's texts as he shopped there...
    "dude, these guys are idiots, OG Pretty Things pic sleeve 7" EPs for 10 bucks..woo hoo!"

Eric, the owner, is one of the nicest people I've met. He often under-prices records (he sold me a very clean Sweet Charles for $30, even though he knew full well he could get more for it) because he's more interested in people's enjoyment of music than making a quick buck.

Many of his "employees" are insufferable, though. It might be an under-the-table kind of gig, as turnover seems high. This author is pretty whiny, but his complaints aren't unwarranted.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    whiny
    in portland? get out!!! hi i*n!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    holmes said:

Yes.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    There is no one more pathetic than a record store clerk, and that is why they go out of their way to clown customers. It makes their pathetic lives seem better.
    -This

I went to Mississippi once a few years back and the girl that helped me was really nice. So nice that I still remember her, she had just moved there from Tampa and was well versed on the art of small talk. That was a funny read tho, big ups to Greshem.