Rick Santorium : Wasted - Black Flag
    Ron Paul : Straight, No Chaser - Thelonious Monk
    Barney Frank : See You Later Alligator - Bill Haley and the Comets
    Rick Perry : Only Fools Rush In - Elvis
    Jon Huntsman : Middle of the Road - The Pretenders

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:

ok, than this is an unwinnable argument... again, i didn't define anything, the last 60 years of TV did... and you never saw Doc Seversin, Paul Shaffer, Kevin Eubanks, or Max Weinberg decide to dis a guest on a show... i don't fucking like Michelle Bachman at all, but this about staying in your lane... your role as the band on a mainstream network show is to play music, not give your opinion on the guests... if you find that stiffleling (like Branford Marsalis did), then leave (like Branford Marsalis did)... you can't have the band steering the ship... this is pretty simple grown up talk...

I get your opinion and I can respect it to an extant, within its context, but I don't share your perspective. The expectation that people know their roles based on convention and the status quo is part of the reason this country is in such a mess, politically and socially, I think. Just because it's not an expectation of house bands to express opinions, doesn't mean it can't be so. In this case, I find The Root's willingness to call out a semi-insane politician to be more valuable than following whatever precedent for standards of conduct that Paul Shaffer has set.

I don't really like referring to women as bitches, for what it's worth, and I wouldn't have gone about it the same way if I were in Questlove's position Still, I'm glad not everyone is as obsessed with civility to the point of showing undue respect to extremely disrespectful people.

nevermind the bitch issue, the idea that nobody has to ever act professional and everyone can do whatever they want at all times is like 7th grade "anarchy, dude!" level thinking... listen, they film that show in NYC, i guarentee almost everyone working there hates her, but i bet the pages didn't tell her to go fuck herself, the elevator guy didn't punch her in the face, and the catering people didn't refuse to serve her... it's knowing who you are and where you are... again, the late night talk shows have a rep for not going to far one way or another, party wise... i.e. making jokes about both sides... in a country where there is no fucking civility left, these were one place were there was a semblance of some... ie. have bachman on one night, and have Howard Dean the next, and treat them both decently...

and Laserwolf, i have seem musical guests on Letterman a million times and never seen Paul Shaffer be anything but the happy grinning jackass he is...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I know for a fact that an intern spit in Andrew Dice Clay's coffee.
    Intern now has a real tv job.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

OMG ITS ANARCHY!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

chances are homie didn't tweet about it afterwards...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    LaserWolf said:

:real_headz:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:

ok, than this is an unwinnable argument... again, i didn't define anything, the last 60 years of TV did... and you never saw Doc Seversin, Paul Shaffer, Kevin Eubanks, or Max Weinberg decide to dis a guest on a show... i don't fucking like Michelle Bachman at all, but this about staying in your lane... your role as the band on a mainstream network show is to play music, not give your opinion on the guests... if you find that stiffleling (like Branford Marsalis did), then leave (like Branford Marsalis did)... you can't have the band steering the ship... this is pretty simple grown up talk...

I get your opinion and I can respect it to an extant, within its context, but I don't share your perspective. The expectation that people know their roles based on convention and the status quo is part of the reason this country is in such a mess, politically and socially, I think. Just because it's not an expectation of house bands to express opinions, doesn't mean it can't be so. In this case, I find The Root's willingness to call out a semi-insane politician to be more valuable than following whatever precedent for standards of conduct that Paul Shaffer has set.

I don't really like referring to women as bitches, for what it's worth, and I wouldn't have gone about it the same way if I were in Questlove's position Still, I'm glad not everyone is as obsessed with civility to the point of showing undue respect to extremely disrespectful people.

nevermind the bitch issue, the idea that nobody has to ever act professional and everyone can do whatever they want at all times is like 7th grade "anarchy, dude!" level thinking... listen, they film that show in NYC, i guarentee almost everyone working there hates her, but i bet the pages didn't tell her to go fuck herself, the elevator guy didn't punch her in the face, and the catering people didn't refuse to serve her... it's knowing who you are and where you are... again, the late night talk shows have a rep for not going to far one way or another, party wise... i.e. making jokes about both sides... in a country where there is no fucking civility left, these were one place were there was a semblance of some... ie. have bachman on one night, and have Howard Dean the next, and treat them both decently...

WHOLE NEW DAY!

That's the point. What's the use of kissing up to known crooks and death merchants just to be something called "professional"?

Screw that. We all need to go out of our way to snuff these half-people at every turn. Make it so they can longer do their evil deeds on our watch.

OCCUPY IT ALL!

And nobody punched her in the face. Some musicians played some music though. Imagine that.

• LaserWolf said:
    p_gunn said:
    LaserWolf said:

It happened pre-Twitter, so he just posted about it on SoulStrut.

hogginthefogg said:
    LaserWolf said:
    p_gunn said:
    LaserWolf said:

It happened pre-Twitter, so he just posted about it on SoulStrut.

HEY, ERYBODY! I MAILED A USED CONDOM ALONG WITH THAT RECORD! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    thrope said:
    p_gunn said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    p_gunn said:
    the colbert report...

You're aware, I assume, that The Colbert Report is political satire, and not hard news or anything with pretensions thereto (such as Rush, Beck, O'Reilly, etc)? The fact it goes out on Comedy Central ought to be a fairly substantial clue that, like the Jimmy Fallon show, it too falls on the "entertainment" side of the divide, where one presumes the "political" stuff should be played strictly for laughs. Well, I laughed like a fucking drain when I read that story (as opposed to the baby-ish response from all the conservatives unable to take even a sip of their own medicine), so I honestly can't see what the problem is.

you're wrong... Beck/O'Reilly/Rush and Colbert are the same type of shows: news analysis shows, NOT "hard news" shows... people who watch them watch them b/c they want to see the news discussed by someone with the same viewpoint as them... they are not news anchors presenting news, they are people talking ABOUT the news... Colbert report has WAAAAAAAAAAAY more in common with Rush than he does with Jimmy Fallon, who just exists so people can plug their new movie/tv show and has basically no political viewpoint whatsoever...

FYI: the "babyish" response from conservatives is called "mock outrage" and it works... act appalled anyone would ever stoop to such a level and then do something twice as worse the next day... politics as usual...

you are aware colberts show is pure comedy right? your post confuses me.

please be serious... colbert has a distinct viewpoint, just like rush or beck... i would think that would be fairly obvious...

colbert is a comedian that parodies Bill O'reilly and Rush Limbaugh while making fun of news/politics. yes he has a viewpoint, but he has a COMEDY SHOW. your right wing uncle doesnt listen to Rush Limbaugh thinking its pure entertainment, he listens to it to be told the "truth".

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    What happened to the white bass player in the Roots? He seems to vanished off the face of the urff about 3 weeks ago...

• Bon Vivant said:
    What happened to the white bass player in the Roots? He seems to vanished off the face of the urff about 3 weeks ago...

He left the band.

The Sousaphone player's gonna have to step up.

Horseleech said:
    Bon Vivant said:

He left the band.

Whaaaaaaaaatttttt??!!!!???

Why in thee hell would he go and do that? Bizarre.

• Bon Vivant said:
    Horseleech said:
    Bon Vivant said:

He left the band.

Let's just say it's a 'demanding' job.

b/w

Sometimes these situations look a lot better from the outside than they do from the inside.

Horseleech said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Horseleech said:
    Bon Vivant said:

He left the band.

Let's just say it's a 'demanding' job.

b/w

Sometimes these situations look a lot better from the outside than they do from the inside.

Word.