questlove + fishbone + bachman = wow

Comments

• Colbert's commentary and analysis sons anything to be found on the "news" networks, and I'm deadly serious when I say that.

• Strings said:
    Reynaldo said:
    She's a liar and I'd never vote for her, but she seems to know her place as a woman, so I can't justify calling her a b-word. She can be afforded some protection for the effort she makes to be feminine.

y'all see the "values dinner" or whatever? Bachman was serving all the men at the table. classy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

y'all see the "values dinner" or whatever? Bachman was serving all the men at the table. classy.

I did not see that.
    It boggles the mind.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

I did not see that.
    It boggles the mind.
    Yeah, that's what won me over, and I'm sure many a values voter. She was giving off strong first lady vibes right there.

Reynaldo said:
    LaserWolf said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

I did not see that.
    It boggles the mind.
    Yeah, that's what won me over, and I'm sure many a values voter. She was giving off strong first lady vibes right there.

Shes running for first lady?

Sometimes I think Rey is just joking, and sometimes I think he serious. He is always entertaining.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

I did not see that.
    It boggles the mind.

I'd blap.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    p_gunn said:

except rush/beck/o'reilly are blatantly partisan political shows and Jimmy Fallon's show is a milquetoast showbiz hugfest and the Roots work for him... It's not really your role as the band to insult any guest, especially on that corny ass show... If he wanted to do so, should have been more subtle or he should become the band leader on the colbert report...

Any evidence that Fallon is the least bit upset?
    Any evidence Fallon didn't know?

i would say his apology is evidence enough...

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-11-23/news/30435273_1_michele-bachmann-michelle-obama-glenn-beck

twoply said:
    p_gunn said:
    It's not really your role as the band to insult any guest

Maybe you should write to The Roots to better inform them of their roles. Tell them in no uncertain terms what their specific roles are as a house band, as interpreted by you.

60 years of TV history has pretty much well established the role of "the band" on light entertainment mindless chat shows...

DocMcCoy said:
    p_gunn said:
    the colbert report...

You're aware, I assume, that The Colbert Report is political satire, and not hard news or anything with pretensions thereto (such as Rush, Beck, O'Reilly, etc)? The fact it goes out on Comedy Central ought to be a fairly substantial clue that, like the Jimmy Fallon show, it too falls on the "entertainment" side of the divide, where one presumes the "political" stuff should be played strictly for laughs. Well, I laughed like a fucking drain when I read that story (as opposed to the baby-ish response from all the conservatives unable to take even a sip of their own medicine), so I honestly can't see what the problem is.

you're wrong... Beck/O'Reilly/Rush and Colbert are the same type of shows: news analysis shows, NOT "hard news" shows... people who watch them watch them b/c they want to see the news discussed by someone with the same viewpoint as them... they are not news anchors presenting news, they are people talking ABOUT the news... Colbert report has WAAAAAAAAAAAY more in common with Rush than he does with Jimmy Fallon, who just exists so people can plug their new movie/tv show and has basically no political viewpoint whatsoever...

FYI: the "babyish" response from conservatives is called "mock outrage" and it works... act appalled anyone would ever stoop to such a level and then do something twice as worse the next day... politics as usual...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:

Maybe you should write to The Roots to better inform them of their roles. Tell them in no uncertain terms what their specific roles are as a house band, as interpreted by you.

i would say 60 years of TV history has pretty much well established the role of "the band" on light entertainment mindless chat shows...

If G.E. Smith can extendedly rub his mug onto the inside of my tv screen, to the point that his clever dimples are total shredface stupid all up on my grill, rude than a bitch, then sensitive afro band can certainly ever so slyly call water wet.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    p_gunn said:
    the colbert report...

You're aware, I assume, that The Colbert Report is political satire, and not hard news or anything with pretensions thereto (such as Rush, Beck, O'Reilly, etc)? The fact it goes out on Comedy Central ought to be a fairly substantial clue that, like the Jimmy Fallon show, it too falls on the "entertainment" side of the divide, where one presumes the "political" stuff should be played strictly for laughs. Well, I laughed like a fucking drain when I read that story (as opposed to the baby-ish response from all the conservatives unable to take even a sip of their own medicine), so I honestly can't see what the problem is.

you're wrong... Beck/O'Reilly/Rush and Colbert are the same type of shows: news analysis shows, NOT "hard news" shows... people who watch them watch them b/c they want to see the news discussed by someone with the same viewpoint as them... they are not news anchors presenting news, they are people talking ABOUT the news... Colbert report has WAAAAAAAAAAAY more in common with Rush than he does with Jimmy Fallon, who just exists so people can plug their new movie/tv show and has basically no political viewpoint whatsoever...

FYI: the "babyish" response from conservatives is called "mock outrage" and it works... act appalled anyone would ever stoop to such a level and then do something twice as worse the next day... politics as usual...

you are aware colberts show is pure comedy right? your post confuses me.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:

60 years of TV history has pretty much well established the role of "the band" on light entertainment mindless chat shows...

I'm not really trying to get into an argument about it, but I think it's weird that you so rigidly define how people are supposed to act based on "TV history."

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I never "got" quest love.

He's a drummer for a rap rock group and has like 2 million twitter followers.

Plaese to explain !?

:exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    RAJ said:

Plaese to explain !?

White people love the roots because they make Kanye West look like Malcolm X. White people also like Twitter and message boards. Questlove is all up on the Twitters and the message boards. Step 3=PROFIT.

b/w

Precedence be damned. This isn't jurisprudence. As long as the show is cool with it, The Roots can do whatever the hell they want.

thrope said:
    p_gunn said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    p_gunn said:
    the colbert report...

you are aware colberts show is pure comedy right? your post confuses me.

please be serious... colbert has a distinct viewpoint, just like rush or beck... i would think that would be fairly obvious...

twoply said:
    p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:

I'm not really trying to get into an argument about it, but I think it's weird that you so rigidly define how people are supposed to act based on "TV history."

ok, than this is an unwinnable argument... again, i didn't define anything, the last 60 years of TV did... and you never saw Doc Seversin, Paul Shaffer, Kevin Eubanks, or Max Weinberg decide to dis a guest on a show... i don't fucking like Michelle Bachman at all, but this about staying in your lane... your role as the band on a mainstream network show is to play music, not give your opinion on the guests... if you find that stiffleling (like Branford Marsalis did), then leave (like Branford Marsalis did)... you can't have the band steering the ship... this is pretty simple grown up talk...

p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:

ok, than this is an unwinnable argument... again, i didn't define anything, the last 60 years of TV did... and you never saw Doc Seversin, Paul Shaffer, Kevin Eubanks, or Max Weinberg decide to dis a guest on a show... i don't fucking like Michelle Bachman at all, but this about staying in your lane... your role as the band on a mainstream network show is to play music, not give your opinion on the guests... if you find that stiffleling (like Branford Marsalis did), then leave (like Branford Marsalis did)... you can't have the band steering the ship... this is pretty simple grown up talk...

Whatever, dude. House bands have always chosen music that caters to their guests. It's just been done in most cases in positive light. Big deal, the Roots just flipped it a little toward criticism, but really just a joke. Only .5 percent of their audience would have ever recognized the song had ?uestlove not blown up his own spot. It's so weird to me that you are acting all drill sergeant over this. Rules are made to be broken.

p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:

Whatever, dude. House bands have always chosen music that caters to their guests. It's just been done in most cases in positive light. Big deal, the Roots just flipped it a little toward criticism, but really just a joke. Only .5 percent of their audience would have ever recognized the song had ?uestlove bot blown up his own spot. It's so weird to me that you are acting all drill sergeant over this. Rules are made to be broken.

do i actually care? no... do i see it as a shitty thing to do that is just another sign of the decline in civility in discourse? yes...

RAJ said:

Plaese to explain !?

He is super smart.
    He is a band leader.
    He is a great drummer.
    He has worked with Prince and Pat Metheny.
    He understands what people want to hear.

Because the Roots are a live band, can improvise, don't use a set list, they attract the jam band crowd.
    That crowd likes rap, but doesn't necessarily like live rap shows, so Roots shows are perfect for that crowd.

p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:

I agree with you it was rude. Sometimes people are rude. Some people bring out the rude.

I wonder if Severinsen ever deliberately switched keys because he didn't like a singer and wanted to make them look bad.
    Or if Paul Shaffer ever doubled the tempo to throw a guest off.
    We will never know because they didn't tweet about it.

But my point is, if he broke a cardinal rule that is for Fallen or his producer to worry about.

BTW: Best I can tell this scandal has not extended much beyond soulstrut.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Talking about this last night...

It was totally out of pocket imo.
    This is not Quest's show, not his concert, not a live recording of his album.
    Just like how it is inappropriate for me to rage on about my politics in my workplace, same applies to the house-band.
    One can make it about breaking the rules....but that's not really what's at issue here.
    I think she's heinous and a fucking clown.
    The Republicans might be flush with cheap shots, but why lower oneself to their level?
    They come with schoolyard antics, Dems come with schoolyard antics...everyone looks foolish.
    Whether Fallon is OK with it or not- whatever. This thing reflects badly on the show as a whole.

bassie said:
    Talking about this last night...

It was totally out of pocket imo.
    This is not Quest's show, not his concert, not a live recording of his album.
    Just like how it is inappropriate for me to rage on about my politics in my workplace, same applies to the house-band.
    One can make it about breaking the rules....but that's not really what's at issue here.
    I think she's heinous and a fucking clown.
    The Republicans might be flush with cheap shots, but why lower oneself to their level?
    They come with schoolyard antics, Dems come with schoolyard antics...everyone looks foolish.
    Whether Fallon is OK with it or not- whatever. This thing reflects badly on the show as a whole.

To hell with this lame world some of you expect us to live in...sheesh.

lol
    yes, well, we all have different definitons of lame

p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:
    twoply said:
    p_gunn said:

I get your opinion and I can respect it to an extant, within its context, but I don't share your perspective. The expectation that people know their roles based on convention and the status quo is part of the reason this country is in such a mess, politically and socially, I think. Just because it's not an expectation of house bands to express opinions, doesn't mean it can't be so. In this case, I find The Root's willingness to call out a semi-insane politician to be more valuable than following whatever precedent for standards of conduct that Paul Shaffer has set.

I don't really like referring to women as bitches, for what it's worth, and I wouldn't have gone about it the same way if I were in Questlove's position. Still, I'm glad not everyone is as obsessed with civility to the point of showing undue respect to extremely disrespectful people.

Let's see, a legit rap artist uses a Fishbone instrumental to dis a Republican kook without her even knowing about it on a nationally syndicated television program. Call me crazy, but that sounds like a huge VICTORY to me. It ain't always about political correctness above all else, you know?

twoply said:
    Still, I'm glad not everyone is as obsessed with civility to the point of showing undue respect to extremely disrespectful people.

What was gained?
    Bachmann haters cheered, Bachmann supporters have one more rubber bullet in their arsenal, everyone else shrugged.

HarveyCanal said:
    Let's see, a legit rap artist uses a Fishbone instrumental to dis a Republican kook without her even knowing about it on a nationally syndicated television program. Call me crazy, but that sounds like a huge VICTORY to me. It ain't always about political correctness above all else, you know?

Uh-oh, you know it's bad when the red herring PC card gets pulled. ;)

I guess we posted at the same time. I don't understand what was gained, I am genuinely asking how this was a victory.

Bassie, that's a good question and I don't know that I have any kind of answer. I just like that someone was willing to break from the pageantry and theater to inject a little reality into the situation. You're right in that this small jab won't amount to anything and does little to build relationships in a fractured society, but I'd like to see things moving in a direction where we don't continue to pay reverence to a flawed and exploitative system.

bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Uh-oh, you know it's bad when the red herring PC card gets pulled. ;)

I guess we posted at the same time. I don't understand what was gained, I am genuinely asking how this was a victory.

What was gained? People in the know laughed at the expense of an assclown who if anything needs to be drawn and quartered rather than protected just because she's a woman who fucks over other people as her life's hobby. I mean, it's not all that complicated. But if you insist on the ivory tower analysis...it was one of those few instances where our generation got to get its licks in on a big stage, in our style no less.

• This was an inside joke for some 80's muzik headz and Questo blew it by letting everyone on the outside in on it.
    An instrumental version of "Lyin' Ass Bitch" is not offensive. Even if they played the original recorded version with the vocals it would not have been offensive (so long as they left out the "You lying piece of sack of shit scumess dirtbag biiiiiiitchhhhh!!!" weeping at the end).
    Michelle Bachmann is so oblivious, they could have played "Michelle" by the Beatles and she probably still wouldn't get the correlation.