questlove + fishbone + bachman = wow

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central

Comments

• Great idea, however dude should have never tweeted about it.

• Pretty subversive. Probably seemed like a safe bet that anyone who could be offended by this would never recognize the song (Michelle Bachmann herself, for example). I heard Glenn Beck went off about this on his radio show. Doubt he'd even know if someone hadn't told him

• agree with hook. if he didnt start tweeting about it, he could have sidestepped the inevitable shitstorm.
    he's not dumb, so props to him if he was willing to catch the heat from the inevitable shitstorm.

i cant even say i endorse any of it. calling a woman a bitch is out of bounds in my book, whether she is one or not. quest is just throwing chum to the beck sharks

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Love it, mayne.

• tripledouble said:
    agree with hook. if he didnt start tweeting about it, he could have sidestepped the inevitable shitstorm.
    he's not dumb, so props to him if he was willing to catch the heat from the inevitable shitstorm.

I saw his Tweeter message. He didn't come right out and say what he was about to do, he just hinted at it. But somehow, the actual intent leaked out into the streets.

• The idea that he could have somehow gotten away with this is a joke.

It would have been all over the internet 30 seconds later whether he tweeted it or not.

I can appreciate the opportunity for a dig, but this is a little lacking in class, imo.

• RUN DMC - "Dumb Girl" would have been a safer bet

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As was hinted at in an other thread, Taking Care Of Business by BTO.

Other BTO Songs:
    Take It Like A Man
    Give Me Your Money

2 steps removed, Guess Who American Woman. If you see what I mean.

Thinking about it at first I am thinking right on ?uest, tell it like it is.

But then I am thinking:
    1) She is a guest on the show. Don't invite her to insult her.
    2) Bitch is not just an insult, but it is a sexist insult. NAGL.
    3) There is enough coarseness in politics without this.
    4) Something more subtle than Lying Bitch would have been better. Randy Bachman was in the Guess Who, American Woman on the surface can sounds patriotic, even though the lyrics make it clear it is not.

I'm not criticizing Quest, I respect that he wanted to make a statement and was willing to take the heat.
    But too heavy handed for the situation in my opinion.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Thinking about it at first I am thinking right on ?uest, tell it like it is.

Bitch is not just an insult, but it is a sexist insult. NAGL.

too heavy handed for the situation in my opinion.

U.G.L.Y would have been a much better selection from the Fishbone back catalog.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    This is the proper way to insult a guest on your talk show...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    RUN DMC - "Dumb Girl" would have been a safer bet

"Insane in the Brain"

• Queen - "Killer Queen"

ELO - "Evil Woman"

• Elvis - "Devil In Disguise"

Heart - "Crazy On You"

• LaserWolf said:
    2 steps removed, Guess Who American

Woman. If you see what I mean.

I do, but "These Eyes" would be the best Guess Who song to play.

• DJ_Enki said:
    "Insane in the Brain"

That was one of the original nominees: OKP

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Huge Roots Fan, huge Fishbone fan and I think Backman is a crazy bitch that has no place running for pres

But this was completely unprofessional and uncalled for. Do that at your concert not on a talk show where she is a guest. Sorry Quest, but you took a steady corporate job so you have to play ball.

There is an argument to be made that the right does similar stuff all the time so why not give it back, but all you do is sink to their level and continue the hate.

The right blatantly lies and smears the left all the time on FOX but because they act (semi) professional they have a lot of hate mongers eating out of their hands.

As SNL spoofed..... FOX doesn't SAY Obama is a Nazi, they IMPLY it..

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    volumen said:

As SNL spoofed..... FOX doesn't SAY Obama is a Nazi, they IMPLY it..

I hear your point, but didn't Quest 'en 'em basically do the same thing? They didn't outright call her a bitch, they played a song with that in the title. If I were them, I would say "hmmm...I don't know what the big deal is. That's a strange coincidence". But he blew it when he tweeted about it.

IMO, the shoe fits and I think it took balls for them to step up and do it. I understand we live in a society where manners and morals (should) reign supreme, but this would be business as usual for Rush/Beck/O''Rielly. Not to condone what they do or stoop to their level, but liberals are pretty much pussies when it comes to things like this, so yeah, good for Quest. They could use a dose of their own medicine.

My only regret is this inadvertently turned her into a victim.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    One reaps what one sows, IMO.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm with day on this. For years now, the US media appears to have been awash with conservatives stridently spouting foul shit about pretty much anyone who's more than a few degrees to their left and telling them to suck it up and if they don't like it they can go live in Communist Russia because this is America and we've got freedom of speech over here, Jack! This episode, on the other hand, is small potatoes in comparison. Moreover, I don't ever see anyone on the right engaging in bouts of hand-wringing over whether their corresponding behaviour is sufficiently classy.

Michelle Bachmann belongs in a rubber room.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    She's a liar and I'd never vote for her, but she seems to know her place as a woman, so I can't justify calling her a b-word. She can be afforded some protection for the effort she makes to be feminine.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    She's a piece of shit and has below zero value as a human being. I can't believe anybody could entertain the idea of her being worthy any respect or even common decency. If have you too much compassion and don't know what to do with it, go out and hug a homeless person.

• Reynaldo said:
    She's a liar and I'd never vote for her, but she seems to know her place as a woman, so I can't justify calling her a b-word. She can be afforded some protection for the effort she makes to be feminine.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Frank said:
    She's a piece of shit and has below zero value as a human being. I can't believe anybody could entertain the idea of her being worthy any respect or even common decency. If have you too much compassion and don't know what to do with it, go out and hug a homeless person.
    I still think we should be incentivizing Bachmann-style subservience in women, lest they become radicalized into lesbian separatism.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I'm with day on this. For years now, the US media appears to have been awash with conservatives stridently spouting foul shit about pretty much anyone who's more than a few degrees to their left and telling them to suck it up and if they don't like it they can go live in Communist Russia because this is America and we've got freedom of speech over here, Jack! This episode, on the other hand, is small potatoes in comparison. Moreover, I don't ever see anyone on the right engaging in bouts of hand-wringing over whether their corresponding behaviour is sufficiently classy.

Michelle Bachmann belongs in a rubber room.

except rush/beck/o'reilly are blatantly partisan political shows and Jimmy Fallon's show is a milquetoast showbiz hugfest and the Roots work for him... It's not really your role as the band to insult any guest, especially on that corny ass show... If he wanted to do so, should have been more subtle or he should become the band leader on the colbert report...

p_gunn said:

except rush/beck/o'reilly are blatantly partisan political shows and Jimmy Fallon's show is a milquetoast showbiz hugfest and the Roots work for him... It's not really your role as the band to insult any guest, especially on that corny ass show... If he wanted to do so, should have been more subtle or he should become the band leader on the colbert report...

Any evidence that Fallon is the least bit upset?
    Any evidence Fallon didn't know?

b/w

Last night I dreamed that Amir lived across the street from me.
    I hadn't seen him in a really long time, and I was wondering if it was just coincidence?
    Should I go over and knock on the door?
    Was he mad at me?

That is all.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    It's not really your role as the band to insult any guest

Maybe you should write to The Roots to better inform them of their roles. Tell them in no uncertain terms what their specific roles are as a house band, as interpreted by you.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    the colbert report...

You're aware, I assume, that The Colbert Report is political satire, and not hard news or anything with pretensions thereto (such as Rush, Beck, O'Reilly, etc)? The fact it goes out on Comedy Central ought to be a fairly substantial clue that, like the Jimmy Fallon show, it too falls on the "entertainment" side of the divide, where one presumes the "political" stuff should be played strictly for laughs. Well, I laughed like a fucking drain when I read that story (as opposed to the baby-ish response from all the conservatives unable to take even a sip of their own medicine), so I honestly can't see what the problem is.