Some truly evil schitt going down at Penn State

12346»

Comments

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I am leaning towards wanting PSU to beat Wisconsin, then Michigan State in the Big Ten Championship to force the Rose Bowl to take this team. The fired University President , Graham Spanier, was very close to the BCS organizers, Conference Commissioner, and Bowl Game operators. These are the people who are supposed to be overseeing the BCS, but accept gifts and free vacations in exchange for keeping the system going.

• edith head said:
    day said:
    fauxteur said:

Wow. Bob Costas is the man for being an actual journalist and asking the questions that he did. Sandusky just fucked himself..

what's amazing to me is that Bob Costas was planning to interview Sandusky's lawyer and surprisingly, he offered Sandusky himself. Costas had little time to prep for that

I can only assume that his lawyer wants him to crash and burn.

The prosecution could probably play this and call it a day.

• Sandusky's lawyer impregnated a teenage girl that he had represented in an emancipation case against her parents. He was 49 at the time.

You can't make this shit up.

• More evidence the world is (or should) be coming to an end 2012!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Sandusky sounds rather defeated in that video, despite his denial. Excellent interviewing by Costas. Impressed.

Amendola's teenage lover, Sandusky's judge being removed from the case, Paterno's firing and the subsequent unveiling of an institution's cover-up...this thing is like a 10 ring circus. SMH.

• I don't get why everyone is applauding Costas for his interview. He asked him the basic questions that anyone familiar with the story would have asked him. Also, he did a horrible job on follow-ups. Why not ask him what he meant by "horse play" or to explain what he meant by showering with boys. All he had to do was take out the Grand Jury Report and say - here is the allegation, now what did you do or not do.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    The NYTimes let us know today that the current investigation included leads from message board and blog postings. The only thing that isn't scrubbed from the record and google cache is some weird archive thread on Bodybuilding Forum about some guy who remembers going to a coach's house while he was in kindergarten. It sounds like the entire community knew this stuff was going, every townie in State College PA looks guilty by association. Any of these people could have blown the whistle or done something about this, and the current witnesses who have come forward are treated like they are the villains and get death threats and could lose their jobs.

Treating the witnesses like they are the guilty ones discourages more from coming forward. The higher-ups in the school administration, athletic department, and local police are all friends with each other and local politicians. The whole region around the town is obsessed with the football team.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Let's not indict the whole town.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    phongone said:
    Let's not indict the whole town.

No. But there is a culture there???and in many other towns, cities and states???that puts college athletics in a protective bubble. And it goes beyond athletics to the culture of the schools themselves. Perhaps you have heard this revelation. The school is the primary economic driver of that town and region. Approximately 3/4 of the State College police force are Penn State alumni. The judge that originally set bail on Sandusky has been recused because her election campaign received contributions from Sandusky's organization, Second Mile. This is not one man acting alone. This is a culture where interlocking relationships resulted in a man having free reign to commit horrific crimes at will. With the protection of the authorities that were supposed to stop him.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

^^Despite the near universal outrage at the failure of many to speak out sooner, incidents like this (bullying) make me doubt whether or not most of us would truly act if we saw an assault take place. Almost as universal is the notion that sexual assault victims are somehow at fault. Most of us are McQuearies.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Almond said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

^^Despite the near universal outrage at the failure of many to speak out sooner, incidents like this (bullying) make me doubt whether or not most of us would truly act if we saw an assault take place. Almost as universal is the notion that sexual assault victims are somehow at fault. Most of us are McQuearies.

Grim view.

Also grim:
    How to Create a Culture of Rape

Almond said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Speak for yourself. Last time I witnessed an assault, which was man on woman...I didn't hesitate a second before jumping in and knocking dude into tomorrow with 4 straight rights to the face. If I saw the same kinda shit and it was man on child, and sexual to boot...I would surely kill right there on the spot, no joke.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Almond said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Speak for yourself. Last time I witnessed an assault, which was man on woman...I didn't hesitate a second before jumping in and knocking dude into tomorrow with 4 straight rights to the face. If I saw the same kinda shit and it was man on child, and sexual to boot...I would surely kill right there on the spot, no joke.

Can't say I'd kill the motherfker but no doubt in my mind I would take action. He'd be gettin a beat down and I would immediately call the authorities (as in the cops, not "JoePa" or my own father or whoever)

• Almond said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

god this post bugs like a motherfucker. dumb ass kids do not represent the majority of the population, but maybe it does in your world.

if i walked in on that, no doubt there would be an initial shock and a moment where i was trying to process what i was seeing, but i most definitely would grab something i could throw at him, bang on lockers/scream at the top of my lungs for help and call the fucking cops.

My comments above were not directed at any of you noble folks. Nor was I saying that I would fail to report. The times I have witnessed domestic abuse, I have reported it. If anything, I overreacted too much. And, yes, Edith, there are too many people in my world who would find it easier to ignore these things. And they aren't all just dumb ass kids.

The numbers of sexually abused children and victims of domestic abuse are alarmingly high in our society. This would not be so if people didn't turn a blind eye. That's my point. Yes, pretty much all of us would report a locker room rape. But there were about a million other red flags along the way.

• Almond said:
    My comments above were not directed at any of you noble folks. Nor was I saying that I would fail to report. The times I have witnessed domestic abuse, I have reported it. If anything, I overreacted too much. And, yes, Edith, there are too many people in my world who would find it easier to ignore these things. And they aren't all just dumb ass kids.

The numbers of sexually abused children and victims of domestic abuse are alarmingly high in our society. This would not be so if people didn't turn a blind eye. That's my point. Yes, pretty much all of us would report a locker room rape. But there were about a million other red flags along the way.

instead of witnessing some old man rape a 10 year-old boy in the shower, what if its a father or mother slapping their kids? I'm sure most people cringe when they see it, but when is the last time you saw someone call a parent out for quasi child abuse? You had a point, but just not with this dramatic set of circumstances.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sorry for all the links, folks....but a lot being said about a lot to be said about.

"Paterno and I come from roughly the same generation. We grew up during the period of McCarthyism, and my parents taught me, as his parents may well have taught him, that the most unforgivable sin is to ???snitch??? on one???s friends and colleagues. Being called a ???snitch??? was just about the worst thing anybody could say about someone who grew up in the 1940s and 1950s. "

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/22/alan_dershowitz_thinks_joe_paterno_was_treated_unfairly/singleton/

(cam'ron vindicated? just kidding)

• bassie said:
    Sorry for all the links, folks....but a lot being said about a lot to be said about.

"Paterno and I come from roughly the same generation. We grew up during the period of McCarthyism, and my parents taught me, as his parents may well have taught him, that the most unforgivable sin is to ???snitch??? on one???s friends and colleagues. Being called a ???snitch??? was just about the worst thing anybody could say about someone who grew up in the 1940s and 1950s. "

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/22/alan_dershowitz_thinks_joe_paterno_was_treated_unfairly/singleton/

"A Case For Paterno" ?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    bassie said:

That is so bogus.
    There is a difference between reporting a crime and giving evidence to the HUAC.

b/w

Drug dealing is one thing, child abuse is a whole 'nother.