Some truly evil schitt going down at Penn State

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Where I disagree with you is that Paterno had more responsibility than the witness.

The point is not the amount of responsibility - whatever that means. Just because the witness didn't act, it doesn't eliminate the onus on all others who knew about the incident.

That the victims were already kids in need....only to be taken advantage of and expended like trash...this becomes more and more revolting as each aspect comes in focus.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    LaserWolf said:
    *I do not have to read about pedos 2,500 miles away. We have plenty right in my community that I find far more disturbing.

This is not about pedophiles.

It's about others protecting, ignoring and enabling pedophiles to operate within their supposed hallowed halls.

It's about the ignorance, callousness and stupidity of professional adults who put just about everything else above protecting children from being raped.

It's about a society where people are afraid to "Judge" for fear that they will be judged.

And it's pretty damn sickening.

Agreed.
    We have some of that here. Catholic church and Boy Scouts related.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    So the big game is tomorrow at 11 on ESPN... Right after College Gameday.

Who was this witness?
    Where are they now?
    What are they doing?

Of course the witness has the most responsibility. Everyone else only has the witness' word.

That said I also understand that Paterno had the most power. And with power comes responsibility. I am not trying to be stupid here. He is the face of the program. I understand that. He got information he needed to report then reported it. In my mind his crime is not following up.

This guy was on his staff, ran his favorite charity? Before allowing him to stay around he should have asked the AD did you follow up? what did you find? Should we be concerned? And of course he should have confronted the accused directly too.

So I agree with all you all. Horrific. Unconscionable. Disgusting. Must be stopped.
    But all I hear is Paterno this, paterno that.
    What about the abuser? The witness? The AD? I am not hearing the anger toward them.

• I agree with Laser. My wife was basically on the couch beside herself with anger last night that McQuery was still coaching... I mean, clean house IMMEDIATELY, fire them all, I'm with that. But, Paterno is probably lowest on my list of ire, as he's the only one with any evidence of following chain of command, and reporting things up as they should have.

Not justifying his inactions, nor saying he shouldn't have been fired. Fire his ass, and move on. I'd say cancel the rest of the season, but that would just punish the players, who did nothing wrong...

I will say this, as someone who works in and around professional sports. And, my take is that Paterno was probably disgusted, reported it, and assumed it would be taken care of. While it is true he had more power than the president or AD, he also hasn't had to do any real "dirty work," like talking to the police in 40 years. He has those guys to handle it for him. And, when he reported it, he probably figured they would shield him, and take all the bullets.

Again, not justifying his inaction. I do think he's been the most sheltered and protected person in a particularly sheltered and insular community, and thought this would never touch him.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Civil Court is going to get Paterno in the end. Proving a guy to be "responsible" only in part, to a "jury of peers" is a lot easier than the criminal stuff aimed at the assistant coach and others. Next shoe to drop may be proof of a cover-up involving the Athletic Department. The timelines of people reporting things and stuff just doesn't add up. Perjury cases against smart people like University Administrators are always difficult for the defendants.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Who was this witness?
    Where are they now?
    What are they doing?

Of course the witness has the most responsibility. Everyone else only has the witness' word.

That said I also understand that Paterno had the most power. And with power comes responsibility. I am not trying to be stupid here. He is the face of the program. I understand that. He got information he needed to report then reported it. In my mind his crime is not following up.

This guy was on his staff, ran his favorite charity? Before allowing him to stay around he should have asked the AD did you follow up? what did you find? Should we be concerned? And of course he should have confronted the accused directly too.

So I agree with all you all. Horrific. Unconscionable. Disgusting. Must be stopped.
    What about the abuser? The witness? The AD? I am not hearing the anger toward them.

come on mang, read one damn article and these questions would get answered. the graduate assistant that saw Sandusky having sex with a 10 year old in the shower is Mike McQueary. he is the WR coach for Penn State. he was officially put on administrative leave today.

thrope said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Who was this witness?
    Where are they now?
    What are they doing?

come on mang, read one damn article and these questions would get answered. the graduate assistant that saw Sandusky having sex with a 10 year old in the shower is Mike McQueary. he is the WR coach for Penn State. he was officially put on administrative leave today.

Thanks. I'd rather read it here.

• thrope said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Who was this witness?
    Where are they now?
    What are they doing?

Seriously, can Laserwolf please get banned for being such a troll in this thread?

[laserwolf] hey guys, i have no clue what this whole penn state story is about even though it has been on the front page of every newspaper for the past week, but let me clog up this discussion with a bunch of hypothetical scenarios and then give my opinion on those, even though the real facts are available to me if i take 1/10th the effort i'm making in writing this post and actually google the subject i'm speaking so ignorantly on [/laserwolf]

• Seriously, can Laserwolf please get banned for being such a troll in this thread?

[laserwolf] hey guys, i have no clue what ALMOST EVERY SINGLE NRR THREAD I POST IN ON SOULSTRUT is about even though it has been on the front page of every newspaper for the past week, but let me clog up this discussion with a bunch of hypothetical scenarios and then give my opinion on those, even though the real facts are available to me if i take 1/10th the effort i'm making in writing this post and actually google the subject i'm speaking so ignorantly on [/laserwolf]

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Every single person who knew about the 10 year old being raped should be in jail for failing to report this to the police. This includes the original witness as well as these so called figures of authority to whom he reported about the rape and who failed to report this to the police. They hushed a case of child rape and allowed the predator to continue to roam.

Each and every single one is clearly and indisputably guilty of enabling a child rapist. These people allowed this slimebag to continue raping kids and that's the end of the story. What's there to argue about?

How fucked up and retarded does a legal system have to be to let these people walk away free?

Shameful!

• Rockadelic said:
    I'm starting to think that this 84 year old guy is not of sound mind.

JUST NOW YOU ARE??

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    trzakhstan said:
    Civil Court is going to get Paterno in the end. Proving a guy to be "responsible" only in part, to a "jury of peers" is a lot easier than the criminal stuff aimed at the assistant coach and others. Next shoe to drop may be proof of a cover-up involving the Athletic Department. The timelines of people reporting things and stuff just doesn't add up. Perjury cases against smart people like University Administrators are always difficult for the defendants.

Oh, most definitely. JoePa is going to have his shit taken to the cleaners.

• Just heard Sandusky will definitely not be placed in general population while in jail.

• After seeing the PSU students riot after Paterno was fired (and not because kids were raped), I was curious to see if the blind loyalty had wilted a bit since the entire world has condemned him everyone involved.

Here is an op-ed from today's student newspaper:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2011/11/13/jay_paterno_has_emotional_day_column.aspx

This first comment is pretty on-point:

Joe Schmoe 3 hours ago
    Ryan, an amazing column. I don't know how you manage to see so much PSU blue and white when the view from where your head is stuck is brown.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    The situation got more saddening with every detail that unfolded over the past week.

Wiki put together this illustration, for those of us who need visuals. Too much red and orange.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Almond said:
    Too much red and orange.

Not enough black, if you ask me.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    trzakhstan said:

Oh, most definitely. JoePa is going to have his shit taken to the cleaners.

I find this highly unlikely for a variety of reasons. Any civil litigation that might be possible would take years, and he's 84. The allegations he's been tied to go back for a long time, most likely past the time a civil suit could be filed.

He might well be named as a defendant but the university would be the primary target, most likely. This could all change as new facts come out.

Upon further review, I think you're probably right.

She's probably seen a PSU game, too. Don't mean nothing.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Almond said:
    The situation got more saddening with every detail that unfolded over the past week.

Wiki put together this illustration, for those of us who need visuals. Too much red and orange.

After reading this, I hope Sandusky has a slow, painful and terrifying death.

• The grand jury report made me feel sick, it's far more disturbing in detail

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    edith head said:
    The grand jury report made me feel sick, it's far more disturbing in detail

I couldn't bring myself to read the whole thing.

There's a lot of parallels to this story, and while I don't know how much is true, I definitely believe something sinister happened.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    fauxteur said:

Wow. Bob Costas is the man for being an actual journalist and asking the questions that he did. Sandusky just fucked himself.

"I shouldn't have showered with those kids" - yo, who the FUCK showers with kids??? Straight up devil.

• And what's all this about the first victim saying the allegations are false??

What wasn't a good look was how Sandusky repeated the question "Am I sexually attracted to boys?" to himself twice before answering.

• BallzDeep said:
    What wasn't a good look was how Sandusky repeated the question "Am I sexually attracted to boys?" to himself twice before answering.

Shades of R. Kelly: "Define 'teenager'."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I heard a clip not on the above video today where Sandusky is like I'm not out there looking to have sexual contact with EVERY young boy. He said the word every. It's wording like that that seems pretty damning outta this evil dumb guy's own mouth.

• day said:
    fauxteur said:

Wow. Bob Costas is the man for being an actual journalist and asking the questions that he did. Sandusky just fucked himself..

what's amazing to me is that Bob Costas was planning to interview Sandusky's lawyer and surprisingly, he offered Sandusky himself. Costas had little time to prep for that