mystery record: ted sommer quartet "rock out in soul"

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
i'm getting tired about not knowing a goddamn thing about this track. UK guys once tried to help me out with this and they were thinking it might be from a KPM or Chappell library but no one could pinpoint it.

i know about it from this comp: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Nuggets-Of-Funk/release/1556576
the whole thing blew my mind when it came out, but all the other tracks have been "demystified" and are classic wall of fame joints. but the standout "rock out in soul" still seems unknown.

anybody know it??
wish i could post a clip. its banging. could easily be a library.

Comments

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i'm getting tired about not knowing a goddamn thing about this track. UK guys once tried to help me out with this and they were thinking it might be from a KPM or Chappell library but no one could pinpoint it.

i know about it from this comp: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Nuggets-Of-Funk/release/1556576
    the whole thing blew my mind when it came out, but all the other tracks have been "demystified" and are classic wall of fame joints. but the standout "rock out in soul" still seems unknown.

anybody know it??
    wish i could post a clip. its banging. could easily be a library.

A certain well known UK record dealer was apparently behind these comps. I've never found any info on this one but I've got a feeling that I have a Euro library somewhere with Ted Sommer on.

• track that dude down and ask him!!!!
    im utterly surprised that the track isnt talked up more. real mohawky or maybe metersy feel to it. havent head it for years, but its still in my head.

ca you track down your library with him on it?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I've been looking for the original as well since this comp. was released. For some reason I always thought he was a Canadian artist? Perhaps if you email RECORDKINGZ they can help you.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Hey, I can actually answer this one :bug:

I think it may be originally from a Chappell Library, but I have it in the Sonaura version - I pretty sure Sonaura were just an American repackaging of the European Chappell releases.

Here's the "rock out in soul" track

and this is the other Ted Sommer track on the Lp "Soul search Rock"

mystery solved..

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Nice, I like the "Soul Search Rock" track better actually. I remember the "Rock out in soul" being better than this for some reason. Thx for the info. I though he was Canadian as I've found Ted Sommer Quartet albums on CTL in the past.

• cant listen to the clips yet, but thanks a million man. you have my initial vote for "Digger of 2011" award.

now how the hell to i find that record? ive never seen Sonaura's in the field. any tips leads thoughts? am i gonna have to armwrestle Dee if a copy materializes. sheeesh

for real tho, thanks....its been on the back of my mind for over a decade

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm presuming it's the same track the og poster was referring to. I've never heard the comp mentioned, there may be a alt version.

From what I can find Ted (Teddy) Sommer was a fairly prolific jazz drummer.
    http://www.drummerszone.com/artists/artist.php?artistNR=abbca725149a464c51928e5f718783ea&artist=Ted-Sommer
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Teddy+Sommer

I found what could be the Chappell original on discogs as well.

http://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artist-Light-Atmosphere-Small-Group-Vol-6/release/1392730

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There's a copy of the Chappell for sale on discogs. Although the tracklistings are not the same as the Sonaura.

• Okem said:
    There's a copy of the Chappell for sale on discogs. Although the tracklistings are not the same as the Sonaura.

hmm. yup. might not have rock out in soul. maybe under different names? the times dont match up though.
    yo thanks for all the legwork, oke. i might take a chance with the chappell regardless

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    There's a copy of the Chappell for sale on discogs. . might not have rock out in soul. maybe under different names? the times dont match up though.
    i might take a chance with the chappell regardless
    hey tripledouble. the circle is complete. if you want "rock out in soul" you gotta grab light atmosphere vol. 7. it's not on vol. 6. I hit up one of my old record haunts the other day and these two were sitting in the new arrivals bin for 9.99 each. my lucky day as i was just passing thru town. have a feeling these came from the homie x..ier by way of dans set sale from years ago. kinda nutty if true. the two volumes are nice companion pieces though. vol.6 has "soul search rock" "electric-loo" and "soul preacher" which are cool. vol. 7 has "rock out in soul" but also a really awesome track called "miles away" which sounds like something off the romano mussolini-mirage LP. hope this helped out!

b/w

(if true)... thanks x! if you see this homie and they were your records send me your address and i'll send ya something cool for record karma purposes.

• yo! thats craaazy. someone practically ghostbumped danno's old setsale list last week and i started looking at it as if it was a new list for a second. how beautiful would that be if those were the same copies? anyway, thanks for the info...anyone got no.7 for trade or sale, holler at me!!