Would you rather play the greatest guitar or sax solo in history?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
See poll below.

Sidenote: I'd be doing it for the ladies, so if any of the ladies here would like to chime in on which gets them hotter that would be great.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    What they detract from a song outweighs what they add by miles and miles.

So many good warm deep deep reggae tunes are shot to hell thanks to a post 89 guitar solo. WTF? What are you even doing in this song? Why am I biting into a nasty green pepper that is in there just as filler in an otherwise amazing meal?

Soul Stew came on the radio this weekend and it fooled me like it does every damn time. I am thinking oh yea, maybe this song isn't as bad as I remember it to be. And then the godforsaken sax kicks in. And the Saturday Night Live sound is born.

• bassie said:
    What they detract from a song outweighs what they add by miles and miles.

So many good warm deep deep reggae tunes are shot to hell thanks to a post 89 guitar solo. WTF? What are you even doing in this song? Why am I biting into a nasty green pepper that is in there just as filler in an otherwise amazing meal?

Soul Stew came on the radio this weekend and it fooled me like it does every damn time. I am thinking oh yea, maybe this song isn't as bad as I remember it to be. And then the godforsaken sax kicks in. And the Saturday Night Live sound is born.

are you a lady?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    depends on who you ask

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Great thread!

If you look at who is turned on by guitar players it is teenage boys. That is who is in the front at all the guitar shred shows.
    Likewise with sax it is middle aged guys who get their pulse going by Kenny holding a note.

Who are the artists where you have adult women in the front rows screaming?
    I don't know if there are any today, but it used to be Teddy Pendergras, Tom Jones, Elvis and other singers.
    Wasn't about solos, it was about (faked?) honest emotions.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Change 'skin flute' to 'bass flute' and that gets my vote. Or even better, harp.

But on the current choice, GOAT guitar solo status would suit just nice.
    No shred pyrotechnics, just the pure tone and musicality of a Stairway, Don't Believe A Word or Child In Time.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I can't really speak on matters of history, but let me just say this: If I were the dude who put down the sax on "Baker Street," you wouldn't be able to tell me shit, cousin. I'd spend my days counting my Time-Life-compilation-residual cheese and lamping in Nike Aqua Socks plus whatever, drinking a tall can of something no longer available to you civilians at retail. I'd walk up in your spot and call your dad by his first name, and folks would just have to deal with it. I mean, what can you say, really, to a man who's got Bonnie Tyler's direct number? I'd be untouchable like Georges Collinet.

Guitar? Strictly for jerks like David Allen Coe and Cody ChesNuTT and those longhairs I see at the bus stop with their pleather jackets and "gig bags." You can miss me with that shit, Yngwie.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Superhead

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Well, I played tenor sax for years, sooooo...yeah, sax. And not on that '80s bullshit, either.

• LaserWolf said:
    If you look at who is turned on by guitar players it is teenage boys. That is who is in the front at all the guitar shred shows.

i went to jeff beck the other week (great show!) and the audience was packed with stoned, aged shredders.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I play a great organ

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I have been known to murder it on the accordian. And on more than a few occassions, too. Just straight killing it.

Kindly,
    parallax

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    james said:
    I can't really speak on matters of history, but let me just say this: If I were the dude who put down the sax on "Baker Street," you wouldn't be able to tell me shit, cousin.

Guitar solo on "Baker Street" > Sax riff on "Baker Street"

Cosmo said:
    I play a great organ
    That's not what she said.

Bon Vivant said:
    james said:
    I can't really speak on matters of history, but let me just say this: If I were the dude who put down the sax on "Baker Street," you wouldn't be able to tell me shit, cousin.
    Guitar solo on "Baker Street" > Sax riff on "Baker Street"
    Guitar solo on "Baker Street" :: Sax riff on "Baker Street"
    George Washington :: Abraham Lincoln