Toto

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
I am really fucking with them in a major way. Discuss (not my fucking with them, but the band. But feel free to discuss my fucking with them as well.)

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Bobby Kimball is singing his motherfucking ass off on that song. So ill.

• i loved when Mc Lyte spit on this:

such a dope track on its own..

• this is as close as i can get

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I heard they were heavy contributers to Thriller.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Africa is a banger.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    batmon said:

They wrote Human Nature for one.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Straight up great band, musicianship, songs, songwriting, etc., etc. They had the "curse" of hit records back in the day so they lost a lot of credibility. I put them up there close to Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, etc., etc. Now lets discuss Robert Palmer-just revisited some of his records-wicked!

• I believe Paycheck was playing deep Toto cuts at GRNY the other day. Actually he wasn't playing them, he was straight up jamming.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This song gets me every time:

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    edith head said:
    this is as close as i can get

an italo cover

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    batmon said:

They wrote Human Nature for one.

Not to bring Three 6 Mafia into this but I've always loved when they were like, "Like Michael Jackson, 'Why does he do me that way,'" in Justin Timberlake's "Chop Me Up." "Human Nature" does have a really sweet Toto vibe.

• TOTO 4ever. They thrill me, with some Gary Wright and 10cc thrown in it's happy time for sure.

Hi Cos.

Steve Porcaro's (Human Nature) daughter Heather has a band now as well called the Heartstring Symphony.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Bobby Kimball
    Oh man. His performance in the "Waiting For Your Love" video is a virtual four-minute master class in mic control. File under: Sweating Like A Ham Ring But Doing The Damn Thing. I thought dude was gonna turn into a werewolf before it was over. Star quality off the meter and musk seeping through your monitor. You don't even need the music to feel that shit.

That said, when he kicks his half-verses on "Rosanna," his slight lisp is mad distracting. "Roe-thanna! Roe-thanna!" Dude is still my dude, though.

I mentioned this a while back in the context of something else, but somewhere deep in the fade of Toto's "Tale Of A Man" is the riff that became the foundation of Boz Scaggseses' "Lowdown."

It's a shame this isn't a couple years ago; in conversation over modest and semi-regular luncheons of hamburger sandwiches, my man Clubbup and I used to go in on these dudes.

In closing, I will say that while Toto lyrics almost always suck eggs, the sound seldom disappoints. Props, of a sort.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I heard Michael McDonald hates their band.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    This is a bizarre coincidence indeed as it was only last week that I spent what must have been a good 30-45 minutes of a particularly trying day at work with Georgy Porgy on continuous loop. I don't know how I ended up in this situation but at that moment I was there with them, feeling every chord change of the pop rock bliss.
    By the time I stopped Totoing I was well on the way to believing that this was one of the greatest songs ever written. When I got home drunk later that night I grabbed a "best of" as, apart from Georgy, I'm only really familiar with the epic wave that is Africa and the lovelorn yacht rock of Rosanna. Sadly I haven't felt like I was in that special close to breaking zen state of mind needed to explore the rest of the catalogue yet, but I know that time will come.

They really should have done more soundtracks as well:

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Fuck all this noise. Toto suck balls.

Talmbout blowdried 80's dorks on a yacht missing the rain in africa and lamenting some ??berbecky going off the map in suburbia.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Big_Chan said:

Off The Wall > ThrillToto

• I don't know about all that. Dudes were cornballs. They made one mediocre song and then michael took it and made it bonkers-babs-berzerk.

Actually, scratch that. I take it all back. They made 'Waiting for Your Love', that shit was fire!

• Big_Chan said:

Cool. Some of those shots are on the building I currently live in in downtown LA.