Your favourite JazzFunk hitters

Ronan909Ronan909 17 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
Hi,

Getting into this genre a lot, especially the more dancefloor orientated JazzFunk stuff from Players Association, Charles Earland, War, Side Effect, Lonnie Liston Smith, Slave, Aquarium Dream, Lenny White.

Looking for similar tracks you rate which take the listener on a head spinning journey, that are full of melody & yet hold their place on the dancefloor.

I'll kick off the list with this

& this

Regds
Ronan

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jazzy FUNK or Funky JAZZ?

• Lou Garno Trio

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    = 3 words JOHNNY HAMMOND "GEARS".

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Ronan909 said:
    Players Association, Side Effect, Slave, Aquarium Dream

Those are all good artists but Slave is Funk until about '79 then they're Boogie or Boogie/Funk.
    Players Association is Disco until about '79-'80 then its Boogie.
    The others that I've quoted don't seem to fit that style so much either.

Yes, "Gears" is a solid example of jazzfunk as are most of the Mizell productions from that era. Their best work IMO.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There is still no such thing as "boogie".

HarveyCanal said:

What about Jazz-Boogie? :eyeball:

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

What about Jazz-Boogie? :eyeball:

:dead:

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Eh? Says who?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ost said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Eh? Says who?

Says 1979-80.

• tabira said:

Thanks for the replies, Tabiras reply is exactly the kind of stuff im digging! Jazzfunk might not be the completely correct description, i guess there is always going to be a disco/boogie influence in these tunes considering the time they were released but a funk / jazz is at the core!

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    apologies if i missed the mention, or you already have it, but you NEED to get gary bartz - music is my sanctuary lp

also roger glenn - reachin, donald byrd - places and spaces just for starters

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I call this stuff soul from 1976-1980.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Folks are increasingly prone to displays of genre-blindness, I find.

Breaking down artificial barriers is often claimed as a laudable aspiration by those seeking righteous propers, but humans have always yearned for a way of ordering the world, to better grasp its secrets.

In this spirit I hereby propose an international classification board along the lines of that which decides the Latin nomenclature for the flora and the fauna. I see the urgent need for arbitration, particularly in the fields of Modern Soul and Jazz Funk. Boogie as a genre... well, it's like the fucking Wild West up in that bitch. A million clueless cowboys stinking up the joint.

• skel said:
    Folks are increasingly prone to displays of genre-blindness, I find.

Breaking down artificial barriers is often claimed as a laudable aspiration by those seeking righteous propers, but humans have always yearned for a way of ordering the world, to better grasp its secrets.

In this spirit I hereby propose an international classification board along the lines of that which decides the Latin nomenclature for the flora and the fauna. I see the urgent need for arbitration, particularly in the fields of Modern Soul and Jazz Funk. Boogie as a genre... well, it's like the fucking Wild West up in that bitch. A million clueless cowboys stinking up the joint.

Great Post! Either way its all music from the soul so lets not get bogged down with nomenclature. The vibes is from the music so basically what im asking for is when you listen to the tracks mentioned in this post, what other similar tracks does it spark off in your head?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    One of my fav artists of the genre is Patrice Rushen. Quite every album is recommandable.
    Also check out: Eddie Hendersons first two albums on Capitol.
    Generally the late 70s early 80s GRP catalogue (Benard Wright, Tom Browne, Don Blackman)
    Norman Connors has jams too. "Captain Connors" is a hymn in that genre.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

• Thanks for all the responses! Plenty to go on here

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Frank Strazzeri - Cloudburst

Not sure it suits the dance floor tho...