edited November 2011 in Strut Central
Bless his Soul.

Comments

• smoked his whole life

• RIP.
    He was a great fighter.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Greatest sports rivalry of our time.

I vividly remember having a transistor radio under my pillow to listen to the "Fight Of The Century" in '71

RIP

• I smoke on the mic like smokin Joe Frazier
    The hell raiser, raisin hell with the flavor
    Terrorize the jam like troops in Pakistan
    Swingin through your town like your neighborhood Spiderman

R.I.P

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    As an Ali loving kid I hated him with a passion. As an adult I grew to realize what a great fighter and man he was. RIP, and Philly needs to do the right thing and honor the man with a statue, even if it's too late for him to see it.

• Yup, tear down that Rocky bullshit and put a statue of Joe

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• Smokin' Joe also had a side career as a soul singer. The grip of 45s he made range from decent to terrible. This was a cover of a Bobby Byrd tune and is by far the best I've heard:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RIP, I am alarmed by the quickness with which this has unfolded. A great boxer, sad news.

• Joe will be sorely missed. Class act and one of the greatest fighters of all time.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    RIP to the man who taught me that Ali wasn't invincible after all.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

RIP to one of the toughest and greatest Philly legends to ever lace 'em up. Joe Frazier has the great distinction of being the first boxer to ever defeat 'The Greatest' (Joe's left hook in the final round is one of the greatest punches ever thrown in boxing. Wow!!!). I respected the man, his immense work ethic, and larger-than-life heart and determination. Although I was a Muhammad Ali fan and cheered for Joe to get spanked, I always respected his endless effort and drive. RIP Mr. Joe Frazier, a great champion and competitor. Without you, there would be no 'Greatest.'

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I still have to smile when I think of the Richard Pryor joke where he's afraid of making Muhammad Ali mad, at which point he'd have a "Joe Frazier flashback."
    Even though Frazier got his later on, it's amazing how he's eternally remembered as The Man Who Whupped Ali. Wonder if Leon Spinks will be remembered the same way.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    I still have to smile when I think of the Richard Pryor joke where he's afraid of making Muhammad Ali mad, at which point he'd have a "Joe Frazier flashback."
    Even though Frazier got his later on, it's amazing how he's eternally remembered as The Man Who Whupped Ali. Wonder if Leon Spinks will be remembered the same way.

Spinks is also a great Pryor punchline....$1.63 worth of cocaine related.

• Leon Spinks working at McDonald's???