Call of Duty : MW3 (Xbox/PS3 related)

snosno 332 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central

Copped a copy last night and played half of the single player campaign already.

Pros: Major immprovement on graphics, multi-player is a blast. Expanded Spec-Ops mission for hours of co-op fun.

Cons: the storyline of single player campaign. Typical blockbuster fare. Nothing new if you have played through previous installments. Obviously the developer has run out of end-of-the-world scenarios and action movies homage.

That said, I am feeling this game more than Battlefield 3.

Comments

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Oh shit. thanks for the reminder. Ordered!

sno said:
    Cons: the storyline of single player campaign.
    Single player is about .00001% of the reason for me buying this.
    Especially after the shitty single player in black ops. Looked great, but sucked imo.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I like the sheer comedic effect of Gary Oldman hamming it up for his Russian character in COD: Black Ops (I know Treyarch want a Capt. Price-like recurring character but it doesn't take a genius to smell a Tyler Durden two cutscenes in). That said I can't hate on the game developer using Stones' Gimme Shelter in the game's promo.

Story-wise, this time it's just all out chaos, so there's no "holy-shit-how-can-this-be-happening" (like the nuclear blast in MW1 and the US invasion in MW2) moment that keeps me intrigued. INfinity Ward definitely took a page out of the Gears of War playbook when developing the Spec-Ops missions: seriously addictive fun.

At least it's better than the ending of Battlefield 3's single player campaign (spoiler alert): I find it weird that two man brawling on the street, in Times Square no less, no one would bother to help out and all I could see was bystanders stood idly watching the two men duke it out mano-a-mano.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I still play MAG

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Decided to do away with the COD tradition and purchase Battlefield 3 so going to hang back from buying MW3 for a little while until I've fully confirmed that I am shit at flying helicopters.
    Sadly, despite all the previews not really getting my blood pumping, I know that 90% of my friends list are going to be purchasing this in the next week and the temptation of playing with them online will make me buy this sooner rather than later as you can only drive around in a tank alone for so long before the thrill dies. I like the idea of constant rewarding even if you're crap at the game but all the maps look horrendously small.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Junior said:
    Decided to do away with the COD tradition and purchase Battlefield 3 so going to hang back from buying MW3 for a little while until I've fully confirmed that I am shit at flying helicopters.
    Try switching the camera to third person instead of the cockpit view, it'd make world of difference of flying the heli in a stable manner.

Funny thing about this COD tradition...I usually take the afternoon off work on the release day for COD, but every year shops would let me down by having the game available until late in the evening. This year I could not afford such luxury and have to pull extra hours at work on Monday, yet I managed to cop a copy of MW3 the night before the release date on my way home from work.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Wait.. people buy COD for the single player campaign?

Having said that I 'acquired' a copy of BF3 on my PC that I could only use for that purpose. It was horrible, looks nice but very much a case of same old shit.

sno said:
    Junior said:
    Try switching the camera to third person instead of the cockpit view, it'd make world of difference of flying the heli in a stable manner.

Yeah will give it a go but, while I've finally mastered flying around without crashing straight into the ground (the first couple of times I tried I was ending games 0-10 all suicides), the chances of me actually killing anything are naught. May just stick to being a gunner or driving round in my lovely tanks.

Paul, agreed, the BF3 campaign was pretty horrendous apart from one mission with the Russians but I think it totally redeems itself online. I don't know if I can even face the MW3 campaign - having played BF3, Homefront, Blops, and, to a lesser extent, Crysis 2 in the last year, I don't think I can face having one more AI character telling me to follow them. Like I say, peer pressure will convince me to buy this and sure it will be fun online even if it doesn't really seem like anything new, just a bit gutted that BF3 will go unloved.

• so THIS is where the nerds hang out!

add me on ps3 or youre soft as fresh bread, batches! 'joelkbo'.

• Battlefield looked amazing. On my PC. It looked ok on consoles.

I just copped my COD MW3, but it's my anniversary with my girl today, so no playing for me until later this week.
    But there will be playing, OH YES. Probably wont play the singleplayer until the new year, but multiplayer......

PS3: naginata

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    If I want to get into on-line gaming, which is the best platform (right terminology?) - PS3 or a PC?

Do Playstations have the better games, or are titles available and widely used on both?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You'll have to spend proper money to get a really good gaming PC, where as you could pick up a secondhand Xbox or PS3 fairly cheap. If you go for the 360, get the newest slim version as it doesn't suffer from the same overheating RROD problems. PS3 is a bit more expensive as it has a Blu-Ray player included, if you like that sort of thing, get that instead.
    & for both you'll need to factor in a good unlimited broadband connection and 'Xbox Live' membership (or whatever the PS3 version's called).

There's still no charge for playing online on the PS3 (they've introduced something called PSN plus but it's more like a limited time exclusivity thing and pretty far from an essential at the moment) so in that respect it's cheaper though you obviously have to fork out a fair bit more for a PS3 than an Xbox. Okem's pretty much summed up everything else (particularly the good broadband speed which is something I notice the lack of a lot on something like COD).

As a "proud" owner of both a 360 and a PS3 I would have to say that I still think the Xbox, while not justifying the 40 quid Live subscription, is a better online console - everything is set up more concisely and stuff like adding friends, party chat and other fun social activities are much easier to implement on the system.
    On the other hand, the PS3 is still fine to play online and I've switched over to pretty much exclusively playing on that console as everyone I know who is now buying a console is opting for Sony's machine, no doubt in part due to the blu-ray player/easy set up for streaming of HD movies.

My friend (who's house I've moved into) has an awesome PC, but he's buggered it up by going to some live Russian pron site. The PC has had windows re-loaded etc, but is still very temperamental and can take ages to to turn on. Some days it will not start. When it does, the on-line football is good fun, and I think (being a stoned, drunken waster) that he's invested in some good broadband (certainly did so ahead of other things like carpets, paint, or bathroom tiles). The house also has digital tv with the I-Player linked in which is wicked (watched all available episodes of the Arctic shows and the Planet Dinosaur ones too).

If he could be bothered to take his PC to a shop for a complete overhaul it would be worth it, but as that may never happen, I may just invest in a PS3. Heard too much about XBoxes crashing (my dad is a serious gamer and went through 3 of them in about 2 years).

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Junior said:

As a "proud" owner of both a 360 and a PS3 I would have to say that I still think the Xbox, while not justifying the 40 quid Live subscription, is a better online console

You won't get that experience on PS3 of some idiot you know off an internet forum announcing his arrival on the same server as you with a knife kill to the back.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I pre-ordered Elder Scrolls 5 and it should get delivered on Friday (11/11/11!), so I am looking forward to meeting up with some of my homies from the Thieves Guild real soon. I am some of y'all's friends on the PSN network and I would renew this word of warning: My lady has two young teenage boys and we fashioned them with both MW2 and Black Ops, so if you ever see 'me' online playing one of those games, it's actually them -- and they're pretty hardcore. Jury's still out on whether they get the new one soon, or under the Christmas tree. Personally, I like a somewhat of a slower game, with some adventure mixed in with the action. I did also pick up FIFA 12, which seems great so far.

Paul said:
    Junior said:

As a "proud" owner of both a 360 and a PS3 I would have to say that I still think the Xbox, while not justifying the 40 quid Live subscription, is a better online console

You won't get that experience on PS3 of some idiot you know off an internet forum announcing his arrival on the same server as you with a knife kill to the back.

Junior?

Duderonomy said:
    Paul said:
    Junior said:

Junior?

Ha ha no that would be Paul taking me to task with his advantages of youthful reactions and actual awareness of his surroundings . Ah, the good old days of MW2, you will be missed on the PSN MW3 Chizzle.
    I think I'm finally reaching the stage where I can no longer lone wolf it and prefer the comfort of a protective clan of real life and virtual friends. Obviously this doesn't work so well when you're on opposing teams and the desire to virtually kill someone you know in real life obscures any focus on the actual game's objective.

white_tea, been keeping an eye on Skyrim, would be very interested to know what it's like. Think you're on my friends list already but will add all other Strutters so I can add additional levels to the loneliness I'll feel seeing an entire list of people playing MW3 while I drive a lonely tank round a battlefield, sobbing softly.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Paul said:
    Wait.. people buy COD for the single player campaign?

At least I do. I am not much of a competitive multiplayer deathmatch kinda gamer, but I do appreciate a chessy direct-to-dvd type of yarn or some harmless co-op fun with my friends.

As for BF3 vs MW3...while I love me some Spec-Ops and single player campaign fun, but I miss the destructuable environment...those flying shards of glass and rubbles do add a certain vibe to the gaming experience.

Seriously, MAG is so cheap right now. I need bros to squad up with. Don't make me beg.

CALL OF DUTY

VS

MAG

twoply said:

VS

MAG

Pong?

MW3 SUCKS

What a waste of money. Back to Black Ops.

COD is the ultimate style-over-substance game, you kind of get what you pay for.

Why not try BF3? Dust 514 looks promising too, but not out until next Summer. Beta is supposed to start any time, though.

• just a bit gutted that BF3 will go unloved.

BF3 has been getting much love round here... Add me to yer list and let's squad up dude... Handle is HankQuinlan.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    There are so many good games coming out it's making my head spin. My roomate has been spending every spare minute of his life Skyrimming lately. It's starting to worry me.

• this may be the worst online gaming experience i've ever witnessed in my life.

• i know there's a grace period needed to adjust every time one of these comes out, but i hate the maps, i hate the weapons, i hate the perks and i hate the online server problems.

it's getting returned tonight.

• vintageinfants said:
    i know there's a grace period needed to adjust every time one of these comes out, but i hate the maps, i hate the weapons, i hate the perks and i hate the online server problems.

I can only assume you mean Modern Warfare as these are exactly my issues with it. I finally took the plunge with the Battlefield franchise following MW3's release, as I was waiting for both to drop first, and have to say it's really just a better online experience then COD. I can't imagine going back and thankfully 2 dudes off my friends list have already followed suit so I don't have to lone wolf it like Junior.

All that said, BF3 can get a bit glitchy during multiplayer such as when dudes are on their stomachs in the corner of a room holding down fort and their feet go thru the wall into the adjacent room/environment.... thereby allowing you to kill a mofo by gunning down their heels!??

twoply said:
    COD is the ultimate style-over-substance game
    Yeah but the thing is it looks shit too.
    Two or three years ago, it would have been awesome.

edit: on second thoughts, replace ??awesome?? with ??average??.