Options

Heavy D RIP??

edited November 2011 in Strut Central
Just heard Heavy D passed at 44. RIP to the overweight lover, too young if true.

Comments

• Sween said:
    Just heard Heavy D passed at 44. RIP to the overweight lover, too young if true.

This sucks. Rest in peace, Heavy D.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This is terrible. One of the true gentlemen of hiphop. RIP Heavy D.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Damn. RIP

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Such shitty news. RIP to the Hevster.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• RIP. His last tweet was "BE INSPIRED!", just 16 hours ago???.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Rip gotta dig out my copy if Blue Funk... T.r.o.y Heavster

• shit man, just caught this on my homies FB..

damn!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    WTF

Terrible.

RIP

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Damn

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

RIP

• minimini 879 Posts
    RIP

• rest in peace

RIP to Trouble T while we are at it... T.R.O.Y.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    underated mc. rest in peace.

• way too young

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The Heavster was one of the true hip-hop legends. He always kept it classy and positive, a rarity in today's rap scene. RIP Heavy D!!! Your legacy will live on!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    edith head said:
    way too young

shocked!!!!

RIP

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    So sad! Dude could get down. I was obsessed with "We Got Our Own Thang" dance moves.

• RIP it's very sad.

I don't think a lot of fans these days realise just how popular Heavy D was at one point.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RIP
    Was just listening to a Heavy D & The Boys 7" the other night.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    RIP !!!

Watched this show religiously back in the day.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    RIP
    streaming stuff right now
    http://jaymack.listen2myradio.com

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    edith head said:
    way too young

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I know this might be blasphemous but i feel he rocked More Bounce To The Ounce more than EpMD who used it previously. EpMd had that great slow flow but Heavy punched it up.

• This is my favortie Heavy D song. It's nice to see he's getting some respect. Even on TMZ his death as a few hundered comments already.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    batmon said:
    I know this might be blasphemous but i feel he rocked More Bounce To The Ounce more than EpMD who used it previously. EpMd had that great slow flow but Heavy punched it up.

As much as I love "You Gots To Chill" I kinda have to agree with you on this. And the interesting thing is that the EPMD song came on my iPhone shuffle last night and I hadn't listened to it in a long time. But I haven't listened to Hev's "More Bounce" in a long long LONG time.

Dude was an incredible, and incredibly underrated, rapper. His verse off of "Self Destruction" kind of seals the deal for me in a very personal manner.

If you're interested, I spoke a little about The Heavster on my site tonight...

http://cosmobaker.com/2011/11/rip-heavy-d/

Then I kinda went in on my personal Facebook page as well, picking apart some of what I consider to be his top jams through the duration of his career...

http://www.facebook.com/cosmobaker

Such a dope artist. For the entire duration of his career. And a personal favorite of mine. He'll be missed.

A great piece, Cos.

Hev was one of those rappers who I used to use as a personal yardstick - if someone said they didn't like Heavy D, I wouldn't be inclined to trust their taste in hip-hop.

A friend of mine did a live TV show with Westwood last night. Apparently he got the news of Hev's death about a minute before he went on air, and burst into tears.

• Truly sad news, I'll always remember him most for the drop he did for Westwood back in his Capitol rap Show days,

Who's in the house - Westwood! And what is this? The Capitol Rap Show!
    Who's in the house - Westwood! And what is this? The Capitol Rap Shoooow!

It says something when you quote dude's radio drops as much as his verses, the guy just oozed personality, something sadly lacking in todays current crop of MCs.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    RIP.

Maybe not a fashionable pick, but I first heard Heavy D on his Now That We've Found Love track. A big hit in the UK. As a kid, I tried (and failed) to learn some of his moves. Never could manage the rap segment either.