Smokey's best song?
Is this the best cover of it?

Discuss.

Comments

• I do love this one:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I wouldn't limit Smokey to one song.

That vid was great.
    Aretha did Track of My Tears on Soul '69 with a classical guitar and big band. A fav, not on youtube.

I always liked That's What Love Is Made Of written in a folk style.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    my shit

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Smokey's best song?
    It's up there, but no. "Tracks Of My Tears" is better. It's not as cool, and probably more played-out in the public consciousness (and a pedant could argue that it gets the asterisk due to "Pete" Moore writing the pre-chorus "Outside, I'm masquerading / Inside, my hope is fading" part), but it's still fucking immaculate.

But man, don't get me started on Smokey. The consummate writer's writer. At one end he's got cathedrals like "Tracks Of My Tears" and "I'll Try Something New," and at the other end he's got "Ooo [no 'h', right?] Baby Baby" and "You Really Got A Hold On Me," so simple and perfect and emotionally direct that they don't seem like the result of actual human labor; like I told my man David one time about "Ain't No Sunshine" (or maybe "People Get Ready") stuff like that feels like it came out of a crack in the earth, you know? So elemental.

And Aretha's looking good there, but I don't think she covers this well. Too jazzy by half. Steamrolling over that fine little "what-a-price-to-pay" and shit.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Tracks of My Tears has to be the best.

And this is the not so close second, from the post-classic era:

mannybolone said:
    Smokey's best song?
    It's up there, but no. "Tracks Of My Tears" is better. It's not as cool, and probably more played-out in the public consciousness (and a pedant could argue that it gets the asterisk due to "Pete" Moore writing the pre-chorus
    "Outside, I'm masquerading / Inside, my hope is fading" part), but it's still fucking immaculate.

But man, don't get me started on Smokey. The consummate writer's writer. At one end he's got cathedrals like "Tracks Of My Tears" and "I'll Try Something New," and at the other end he's got "Ooo [no 'h', right?] Baby Baby" and "You Really Got A Hold On Me," so simple and perfect and emotionally direct that they don't seem like the result of actual human labor; like I told my man David one time about "Ain't No Sunshine" (or maybe "People Get Ready") stuff like that feels like it came out of a crack in the earth, you know? So elemental.

And Aretha's looking good there, but I don't think she covers this well. Too jazzy by half. Steamrolling over that fine little "what-a-price-to-pay" and shit.

Your writing, as always, is the best. And I always like your analysis.
    But Aretha does a great job on this and the duet is wonderful. I heard no steamrolling and you best go back and listen to her piano to fully appreciate what a staggeringly great job she does here. Her piano under smokey's verse is killer on top of killer.

Or different strokes.

There is an amazing list of all (?) his songs at the Songwriters Hall of Fame site.
    A few that I like from the first few letters.
    AIN???T THAT PECULIAR
    AS LONG AS THERE IS L.O.V.E.
    COME ON DO THE JERK
    IF YOU WANNA MAKE LOVE (COME ROUND HERE))
    DON???T MESS WITH BILL
    FIRST I LOOK AT THE PURSE
    GET READY
    GOING TO A GO GO
    GOT A JOB
    I SECOND THAT EMOTION
    I???LL BE DOGGONE

Always really liked this later one too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    it has great balance between introspective lust and outward appraise.

the groove is so in the pocket. whenever i hear it i just wanna hug a woman and slowdance.

come here girl.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cruisin is Smokey's best song.

LaserWolf said:
    Aretha does a great job on this and the duet is wonderful. I heard no steamrolling and you best go back and listen to her piano to fully appreciate what a staggeringly great job she does here. Her piano under smokey's verse is killer on top of killer.
    See, one of things that I think is so enchanting about the original is the rhythmic give-and-take, with the percussiveness of the music setting the rhythm in some spots and with the incredibly deliberate parcelling-out of the vocals ("you've-made-miss-takes-toooo...") setting it in others. It gives the whole thing this delicate, shadowboxing air that really does feel like some kind of relationship.

I feel like here Aretha has over-compartmentalized, with butcher-block piano providing all the rhythmic push and her uniformly creamy jazz vocal ostensibly providing all the finesse. I think she misses a lot of the interplay, and with that, a lot of the point.

I'm kinda reluctant to parse it too too much, though; I mean, this doesn't seem like a proper duet so much as it seems like some cute thing she and Smokey were doing mostly just to do it. I don't think it's "wonderful," but it is fun to watch.

Like you said, different strokes.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The joint......

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    The joint......

Adore this track but to me Tracks Of My Tears is on a different level to pretty much anything else. As played out as it is I would expect its power to have died over the years but the wonderful song writing combined with Smokey's voice gets me every time. I can't think of many big hits where the male singer sounds as fragile as he does on that record, sure his vocals are as sweet as always but there's a real delicate, close to cracking edge to them, which adds even more power to the song.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    As a wise man once said:

"When Smokey sings.... He sings."

I can't take a good look at his face these days, so I will ride for "Being With You". It reminds me of sneaking to the pool hall during school lunch and their jukebox, which hard-nut neo-mods had queued up with Motown and Northern obscurities, as a soundtrack to furtive petty crime.

Occasionally this would break the 60's stranglehold (along with The Who, Blancmange's "Living on the ceiling", Kraftwerk's "The Model" and bizarrely, the instrumental of Soft Cell's "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye").

It was next to a dentists, and when it was quiet, you could hear the screams.

And you wonder why the Brits have bad teeth.

james said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Aretha does a great job on this and the duet is wonderful. I heard no steamrolling and you best go back and listen to her piano to fully appreciate what a staggeringly great job she does here. Her piano under smokey's verse is killer on top of killer.
    See, one of things that I think is so enchanting about the original is the rhythmic give-and-take, with the percussiveness of the music setting the rhythm in some spots and with the incredibly deliberate parcelling-out of the vocals ("you've-made-miss-takes-toooo...") setting it in others. It gives the whole thing this delicate, shadowboxing air that really does feel like some kind of relationship.

I feel like here Aretha has over-compartmentalized, with butcher-block piano providing all the rhythmic push and her uniformly creamy jazz vocal ostensibly providing all the finesse. I think she misses a lot of the interplay, and with that, a lot of the point.

I'm kinda reluctant to parse it too too much, though; I mean, this doesn't seem like a proper duet so much as it seems like some cute thing she and Smokey were doing mostly just to do it. I don't think it's "wonderful," but it is fun to watch.

Like you said, different strokes.

First off I would like to apologize for my superlative laden post. Isn't there some rule about not modifying an absolute?

I wish I could write like you. You do a great job describing the original.

I think this is simply a case of "I love the original which can't be matched". When I was a kid we considered all Beatles covers to be crimes against music. I have gotten over it.

If you could get past comparing the duet with the original, and just listen to the duet on it's own merits, I think you would see that your tastes are wrong and mine are right. :-S

b/w

I remember Boy George dueting with Smokey on the Motown 25th, but can't find a clip.

LaserWolf said:
    I think this is simply a case of "I love the original which can't be matched".
    Not really. Like I said earlier, this is not my favorite Smokey song; I think it's a really fine example of a heavily-populated form (falsetto ballad), and while it is deeply good, it is also very narrow, and doesn't give much sense of the kind of lyrical craftsmanship and overall originality that makes Smokey so remarkable. It's a gorgeous song, but it's also kinda slight, and subsequently kinda brittle. I don't at all think it "can't be matched," but I do think that doing anything real with it requires more sensitivity than Aretha's giving it here. It's not untouchable or anything, but you can't just muscle it, either.

I'd be interested in hearing what you like so much about this particular version. Is this in fact simply a case of "I love Aretha/Smokey who can't be matched"? Is this about that time a couple years ago when I cracked on her emotionally tone-deaf cover of the also-great "What A Fool Believes," D*n? Because apart from the awesome iconography of the involved parties, I'm having a hard time seeing what makes this duet special. It's a couple of legends having a bit of fun in the minutes betwixt and between on-camera bullshitting with Don Corn. Cool.

mannybolone said:

Smokey's best song?
    Is this the best cover of it?

Discuss.

The opening piano chords and first solo, then duet la la las are heart wrenching.
    The corny chatter that follows does not hurt my mood.
    Not sure why you keep calling Aretha jazzy. Her first verse is simple and pure. I don't hear Dinah Washington (her jazz muse) or Ella. Though the purity of the way she hits 'What A Price' could be compared to Ella. Her piano under her verse is simple block chords, with some nice dynamic variations. I'll admit that Smokey walks through his verse, but her play with the piano harmonies underneath bring new meaning to the song. Her vocal interjections under Smokey's voice are the very definition of soul. The Ooh Ooh Oohs after Smokey's verse feature harmonic variations that end up making this more of a soul song and less of the pop gem the original was.

I always like hearing musicians making music together.
    I will always prefer this kind of thing over the studio wizardry of Steely Dan or the Beach Boys.
    A great piano player, 2 great singers, a great song, simple and pure delivery. What is not to like?

KatS said:
    Great tune! But Smokey's got songs and songs and even more songs! He should be talked about more these days,he's a music/poetic genius! I know he doesn't have the tragic life(Marvin) or physical limitations(Stevie) like his labelmates but he is definitely atleast RIGHT there with them musically! He's awesome and he deserves more praise.

Thanks for pointing that out. A pet peeve of mine is the notion that insanity/drugs/abuse... is the source of an artist's genius.

Smokey is as great a song writer as any, and what a voice. Best I know he is a clean living guy who succeeded by working hard at his craft.