most overrated fruit

2»

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Ugh god... Forgot about that nasty-ass guava stuff! So glad the kiwi and/or guava thing didn't survive the 90s. I'll take the '00s trendy fruits (pom, a??ai, mangosteen) ten days a week.

What are the most underrated fruits then? Grapes, maybe?

• button said:
    What are the most underrated fruits then?

I don't know if they are underrated, but a good peach is as good as fruit gets, imo.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    button said:
    What are the most underrated fruits then?

I don't know if they are underrated, but a good peach is as good as fruit gets, imo.

word. add that to my list.

I tried to get fancy recently and did peaches with gingered cream at brunch. My guests liked it, I thought it was revolting. Why mess with a good thing?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Lets not forget:

such an underrated fruit, most don't even know it is one!

• nothing overrated about the grapefruit. it is possibly the best of all the graped fruits.

melons, however, score highly on my overrated scale.

and although i'm not sure that pears or peaches have ever been "rated" they can, nevertheless, fuck right off.

• Mango.....seriously eeehhhh

Grapefruit......what the fuck is with that after taste?

• pfft. there is nothing overrated about mango chutney.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I was going to say this entire thread was hella suspect but then I realized: totally agree about pomegranates being annoying as fuck. As juice, they're fine, but as fruit? Fuck trying to eat your way through a bazillion seeds.

• mangos aren't only the best fruit ever but possibly the best food ever.

i vote strawberries.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    How anyone could say anything bad about mango is beyond me... although I have to say since I lived in Africa I can't eat them anymore outside of the tropics. If you get them fresh off the tree they are so good... there are so many different types that also taste very differently. Some can be quite acidic even when fully ripe. Best ones I ever had we bought from a road side stall when driving through a village in the bush of Sierra Leone. They were deep yellow, small and long with a relatively big stone. You had to bite off the tip and then suck out the meat while mashing the fruit in your hand. They had a lot of hair like fibers and the whole procedure was sticky and disgusting. Halfway through my second fruit my local friend casually said "in my people's language we call the sheep penis". They were so good, even this couldn't stop me from eating. We bought a big bag, dumped it in the trunk of our bush taxi and when we opened the lid after reaching our location 6 hours later, we were engulfed in a thick cloud of intoxicating sweet and heavy mango perfume.

What I really can't stand is star fruit. And kiwis. There are certain types of papaya that smell like shit when they are ripe but I love them as a salad when they are green.

• what sucks about mangos though is i cant touch the skin.
    its like poison ivy to me. the oil is similar.
    i'll break out with the worst itchy rash ever.

• there not that many fruits that i dont like (no homo-r) although i eat apples, i'm really not that keen on em, i believe i heard that the acid's in them arent good for your teeth, not sure if i buy into that "apple a day keeps the doctor away" ish...

some of them are really good (flavor and crunch wise) and some of them are soft sourbitches..lol

• Apples - too much exertion in eating it, its like yo son im not trying to do an activity right now i want this food in my stomach you feel me.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Cherries are overrated. Except in sexual situations. Yeah, that's right. I wouldn't 'eat' them in any other context.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Oh, and re kiwis, there is a specific variety of Kiwi fruit called Gold Kiwi - unlike most other varieties they have NO acidic taste or aftertaste and they are really, really sweet. I have been eating one EVERY day for breakfast for the last 3 months, and TODAY I went to my local fruit shop only to be told 'sorry, they're now out of season.' Figs are coming back though so I'm amped for that!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    YEAH RIGHT DUDE I'M GOING TO EAT SOMETHING CALLED GOOSEBERRY THAT'S OBVIOUSLY A POOP

THE WORST FRUIT, AND MAYBE THE ONLY BAD FRUIT, IS DURIAN.
    THE BEST FRUIT IS CHERIMOYA.

HIT YOUR UWAJIMAYA OR WHATEVER IS YOUR AZN_MKT AND EXPERIENCE BOTH ENDS OF THE FRUIT SPECTRUM.

ALSO THE MOST MUSICAL FRUIT IS BEANS

GOOD POST

• bassie said:

Apples are only good in desserts, cooked and brown sugared/cinnamoned/nutmeged into submission. If raw, slathered in peanut butter.

obviously not from the east coast